GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The definitive dashcam thread

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I’ve been using this for research: https://dashcamtalk.com/

Currently have a 1080p Street Guardian front and rear setup but may upgrade to a 4k setup in the near future.

Last year something fell off a pickup truck and dented my hood. I couldn’t make out the license plate due to the low resolution.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Have had a few. Had the Anker Roav C1 which was great but only did front view so replaced it with a Blackvue 650s 2ch. The Roav went to the GF's Tiguan.
The Blackvue is nice and does what it needs but feels very expensive for what it is. I do have battery power drain issues though using their Power Magic EZ which is the ODBII power adapter for them. Even when its set to not be powered when the car is off it still seems to drain the batter when sitting for a week or so unused. So I would suggest hard wiring it like the previous user mentioned.

GF eventually wanted a rear cam in the Tiguan and we got the Rexing V1P for the Tiguan and its been fine. Video quality is no where near the Blackvue and the rear camera angle adjustment is a joke. I had to mod that to keep it in place.

I wouldnt consider any dash cam that doesnt have a camera in the rear. If the camera has to peer through the cabin it isnt going to see much out the rear.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
What'd be cool is if you could hijack the rear backup camera and have it pop out and operate to record video whenever the car is running. At least that seems cool.

Also a system that can Hotspot your phone for uploading to the cloud seems like it'd be a no Brainer of a great feature.

Do you guys find having cams also has the side effect of curtailing your own hooning? Not that I condone hoonage.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Do you guys find having cams also has the side effect of curtailing your own hooning? Not that I condone hoonage.

If you have to, you can just go into the settings and format the sd card while it's still in the dashcam. It only takes a couple seconds to delete the evidence. Could also just turn the power off if you plan on doing something dumb.

I don't really do anything beyond WOT pulls up to 60 mph so I don't really worry about it, but it is something I've thought about.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
If you have to, you can just go into the settings and format the sd card while it's still in the dashcam. It only takes a couple seconds to delete the evidence.
But don't do that if you have useful footage in there. Just delete the file in the DCIM after.

yuev87

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6M
I have a Blueskysea B1W low profile dashcam on my car. I didn't want my windshield crowded with a bunch of stuff and you can mount this cam below the mirror to the point where you can barely see it day to day. I used an add-a-circuit kit that I bought off Amazon and ran the wire down the A pillar into the fusebox. I HIGHLY recommend an add-a-circuit kit because it doesn't take up any of your 12V ports and takes about 15 minutes to install with basic tools.

Here's a snapshot of the video quality from a recent accident that I captured (I know the date is incorrect).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have a Blueskysea B1W low profile dashcam on my car. I didn't want my windshield crowded with a bunch of stuff and you can mount this cam below the mirror to the point where you can barely see it day to day. I used an add-a-circuit kit that I bought off Amazon and ran the wire down the A pillar into the fusebox. I HIGHLY recommend an add-a-circuit kit because it doesn't take up any of your 12V ports and takes about 15 minutes to install with basic tools.

Here's a snapshot of the video quality from a recent accident that I captured (I know the date is incorrect).
WTH happened there? Car in front lost power and brakes lights were nonfunctional?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
GF eventually wanted a rear cam in the Tiguan and we got the Rexing V1P for the Tiguan and its been fine. Video quality is no where near the Blackvue and the rear camera angle adjustment is a joke. I had to mod that to keep it in place.
Interesting. I had no such issues mounting the rear camera using the 3M adhesive. Hasn't moved a bit since install. Mine is the 3rd Gen version though, so maybe that got updated?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
WTH happened there? Car in front lost power and brakes lights were nonfunctional?
A shit show that's what. Looks like their lights weren't on, braked to merge right and driver behind wasn't paying attention.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Looks like there was a non-moving car in the second from the left lane with blinking hazards, or moving very slowly. Either way, you can see the hazards blinking. Car behind looks like it wasn't paying attention when it came up to it, and smashed into it.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Interesting. I had no such issues mounting the rear camera using the 3M adhesive. Hasn't moved a bit since install. Mine is the 3rd Gen version though, so maybe that got updated?

I had to mount my rear cam on the glass. I couldn’t get it to stay on the textured plastic. Tried using multiple kinds of double sided tape too.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Damn dude, sucks the debris was dropped right front of you.

Crazy video though, I wonder what that person in the little car was doing. They were just drifting across the lanes.

Last edited:

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI

It wasnt the mounting but the camera vibradting and moving either up or down so it wasnt facing straight back. And yes we have an earlier one that doesnt look like that.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I had to mount my rear cam on the glass. I couldn’t get it to stay on the textured plastic. Tried using multiple kinds of double sided tape too.
Interesting. I didn't do anything special other than clean it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and held it in place for about a minute. Hasn't budged in a year. I shoulndn't get too confident though or it will fall down tonight or something though haha.
It wasnt the mounting but the camera vibradting and moving either up or down so it wasnt facing straight back. And yes we have an earlier one that doesnt look like that.
Ah, got it. Yeah, this 3rd Gen is stable and doesn't change angle at all from vibrations.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I have one of these, https://blackvue.com/product/dr900s-1ch/

1614194811902.png
1614195365199.png

The Blackvue DR900S.... the 4k is really good, seems to actually be 4k... unless you watch the raw file, it doesn't do justice.
I figured if I am getting a dashcam I better be able to actually capture something, zoom in to license plates, etc...

It works really well, I would recommend, you can connect with your phone, etc, very user friendly.
I haven't captured anything really exacting so far though...