GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The definitive dashcam thread

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Also have a Viofo A119V3, great cam for the ~$100 range. They have frequent sales during the usual holidays, iirc, it was as low as $89. I do recommend the polarizing filter. And a reminder to use a good high endurance sd card no matter which cam.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Can't beat the BlackVue DR900S-2CH, paired with a Power Magic battery pack and a 4G modem.

4K front, 1080p rear.
No silly internal battery (uses a super capacitor instead).
Great night time vision.
Cloud connectivity with auto event uploading.
The list goes on....

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm a fan of Blackvue as well. I have DR590W-2CH, which works fine for me. Was installed with an a fuse tap kit, and the Power Magic Pro, so it runs 24/7. The hardest part of the installation, which really isn't hard at all, was running the wires for it.

I know the Viofo's are popular and good budget options, but they are too big and clunky for what I wanted. I didn't want something that large mounted to my windshield.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Rexing V1P 3rd Gen dual channel here. Have had it for a little over a year or so now. It's been great and *mostly* trouble free. I'll get to that in a bit. 1080p front and rear and was about $180 when I bought it. It looks like there are cheaper options of a similar quality now based on previous replies here. I chose it because it has a capacitor instead of a battery, and I was (at the time, and probably unnecessarily) worried about the Georgia heat with a battery. This means I don't have a motion or g-force activated parking mode really, which is the big regret I have at this point. The only option for this camera to record when parked is to let the camera run 24/7 (pretty useless unless you want to go through 24 hours of footage to find out what happened).

The only issue I've had is that about 8 months into ownership, the camera started to randomly freeze up while driving (not super often, but enough to be annoying). It was obvious when it happened because the screen would turn back on from black. This would require a hard shut down with the power button and a reboot. I emailed Rexing and they sent me an updated firmware that appears to have solved the issue.

Really easy to install with the instructions below. I'll call it a "medium" based on the initial post descriptions, just because getting the wires behind the A-pillars and airbags for safety was a bit tricky, but not impossible.

I followed the DIY setup I found here by @SomethingNew71 here:
DIY Guide - Dual Camera (Front/Back) Dash Cam Install | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Here are some fun examples from the past year:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mPKH31wK7ghkPCyS9

cb1111

Rexing V1P 3rd Gen dual channel here. Have had it for a little over a year or so now. It's been great and *mostly* trouble free. I'll get to that in a bit. 1080p front and rear and was about $180 when I bought it. It looks like there are cheaper options of a similar quality now based on previous replies here. I chose it because it has a capacitor instead of a battery, and I was (at the time, and probably unnecessarily) worried about the Georgia heat with a battery. This means I don't have a motion or g-force activated parking mode really, which is the big regret I have at this point. The only option for this camera to record when parked is to let the camera run 24/7 (pretty useless unless you want to go through 24 hours of footage to find out what happened).

The only issue I've had is that about 8 months into ownership, the camera started to randomly freeze up while driving (not super often, but enough to be annoying). It was obvious when it happened because the screen would turn back on from black. This would require a hard shut down with the power button and a reboot. I emailed Rexing and they sent me an updated firmware that appears to have solved the issue.

Really easy to install with the instructions below. I'll call it a "medium" based on the initial post descriptions, just because getting the wires behind the A-pillars and airbags for safety was a bit tricky, but not impossible.

I followed the DIY setup I found here by @SomethingNew71 here:
DIY Guide - Dual Camera (Front/Back) Dash Cam Install | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Here are some fun examples from the past year:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mPKH31wK7ghkPCyS9
Yeah, you see those fairly benign clips and imagine what could have gone wrong - and how a video can save your bacon.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
SO subscribed to this thread....I want a front cam too

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

cb1111

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
AUKEY Dash Cam - Wife and i both have this one. We are happy with its performance even with Phoenix, AZ heat after 2 years so far.

Recorded a windshield falling off the back of a truck
1614179434558.png

Recorded someone running from the cops
1614179537253.png

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Running the Viofo A129 Duo myself, haven't hooked up the rear camera yet. Was probably around $130 USD with the hardwire parking mode kit and polarizing filter. Image quality is great and parking mode works great, voltage cutoff is adjustable.

A bit larger than unit without a screen but pretty out of sight in this mounting position, I don't really notice it.

Frank416821

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought a moderately priced Nextbase brand cam from Walmart. It came with a decent mounting bracket. The clips for the A pillar were a pain but I wanted to run the power supply behind the airbag and not across it. The only issue I have is if you are idling for too long the camera will switch off after several mins. I'm not sure if that is the actual camera or the dash cam power supply kit I got from amazon.

IMG_6743.JPG
IMG_6742.JPG

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Running a Viofo A129 4k Pro Duo setup. Mounting it was a bit of a pain because of the shape and the dual cable setup (I'm running a hardwire kit and the wires for the rear camera.). Running the wires for the rear was a pain in the ass as well, my door gaskets were glued in which made pulling them difficult.

All in all It was about $325.

$250 for the camera, Polarizing filter, hardwire kit, and memory card.