GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The definitive dashcam thread

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You have any pics of where it is mounted? I'm interested in getting one of these...
0701CD0C-EF82-4431-BF8C-15153F7EAA29.jpeg

579230E8-DC14-4A90-9035-11484E76B7A4.jpeg

2BDDDAD6-BD77-411F-8F4D-DC241C88DD69.jpeg

Battery is mounted under passenger seat with the 4G modem.

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I'm assuming you decided to not put it through the plastics for the mirror. Do you have a rear channel as well or just the front? Thanks for the pics btw, I'm interested in buying one but I want to be able to hide as much of the wires as possible.
Yes, I just routed down from the headliner and clipped it in place. I sit on the right hand side of the car so don't see the wires.

Yes, I have the rear channel too but don't have any photos of that right now.

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
I'm running for a few months a Xiaomi 70Mai Pro dashcam, and it's ok until now. It was easy to install even for a non-DIY guy like me, it's powered by the 12V-USB adapter that came with the camera.

I haven't recorded anything exciting to show up here but I'll share a sample just for reference:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I'm assuming you decided to not put it through the plastics for the mirror. Do you have a rear channel as well or just the front? Thanks for the pics btw, I'm interested in buying one but I want to be able to hide as much of the wires as possible.

I wonder if there's an appropriate 12 volt source that powers the carnet buttons? Might eliminate the need to run wires down the a-pillar. Think I'm gonna break out the test light and see...

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Anyone recommend a camera that also has theft/vandalism monitoring? Want a front and rear, price isn't really an issue but obviously I want the best bang for the buck.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I'm getting the Garmin dash cam 67W through a friend who works at Garmin for 50% off......think I'm going to pull the trigger on it

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I've been using a Viofo A119 V3. Super easy install and great quality. That's me after making sure everyone was ok. They were fine and the Fire dept were on the way.
You sure you weren't taking a cover photo for your new mixtape?

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
I've been running a Viofo A119s for the better part of 5 years now transplanting it from car to car, it still works fine. I do kind of want to upgrade to a dual channel so I can do rear recording as well. Plus it would be nice to be able to view recordings on my phone without having to remove the SD card. The number of times I've had to unbolt a driver's seat to recover the micro sd card is too damn high.

Has anyone been able to find a fuse location that doesn't power cycle with stop/start? I tapped into one of the DRL fuses (left one I think), assuming that since they stay on during stop/start that the camera wouldn't reboot, turns out that's not true. I've considered relocating the fuse tap to the radio location since I know that maintains power during stop/start but I haven't really put in a whole lot of thought on it.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I have a Blueskysea B4K with rear camera and CPL. I wired it into the dash left side fuse box using both the red (always on) and yellow (switched) wires so the intrusion detection works. I don't remember which two locations that I tapped but it's very easy to find them using a multimeter.

hybrid35

For those who hardwired the viofo 129 duo, what fuse slot did you use? I have the 2018 GTI SE and if I don't turn on my car for awhile, the dashcam doesn't turn on with the car without me pressing the menu button. I feel like I'm going to forget to turn it on when I actually need it.

Also, do you have problems of the parking mode not deactivating when in parking garages? I think it triggers with GPS and it can't get a good signal sometimes and I'd have to restart the dashcam so it doesn't lock the footage while I'm already moving.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI