GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The definitive dashcam thread

cb1111

So. after about 18 months of delays, I finally got my Dride4K in.

View attachment 289830

Well, half of it at least. The rear cam will be sent separately, and won't arrive for probably another year. Considering they posted the 'Production finished, we've gotten all the units!' update on April 10th, and it took almost 5 months after that to actually get my camera in. And since I want a rear cam, I won't be taking out my Viofo T130 until that comes in.

Initial feedback from others who have gotten their camera is... not that good. Despite being 4K, the video quality is pretty close to ass.

Dride footage starts at about 2:10 in the video. But here's a zoom comparison between a different dashcam and the Dride:

View attachment 289836

View attachment 289837

Fucking yikes.

I plugged it into a USB wall outlet to play around with it, and wasn't super impressed. The app is kinda slow and annoying to use. But that can at least be improved over time. Hopefully it's functional next year when I get the rear cam in :ROFLMAO:

The camera itself uses a USB C cable for power. Initially they said it could be plugged into a USB port in your car for power (even calling it out in the instruction booklet), but have since gone back on that, stating you must hard wire it.

View attachment 289838

An update they posted on Indiegogo

View attachment 289839

They do give you the stuff to hard wire it included in the box. My guess is, many car built in USB ports and cigarette lighter USB power adapters don't provide enough power to the camera, so they just said "Yeah, you can't do that". I'm still going to grab a 12V 3A car USB adapter, and see if I can get it to work that way just to test it. I'm not going to hard wire 2 dash cams into my fuse box at the same time, but wouldn't mind playing around with it.
Third bullet - using and SD card will "expend your unit." - that's not good. (Lloyd rule)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
...besides all the other ones already mentioned?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A couple years in, do we have any suggestions for easy to install, decent quality dashcams?

I've had the Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4k for a while now. I thought it was very easy to install and can be had on Amazon frequently for just under $200.

I'm a fan of the Viofo's. The only complaint I have about the A series is they're big and bulky on your windshield. Personally, I think a screen on a dash cam is a waste of space. It's why I liked their T130 unit, it's much less bulky. Only 2k resolution though.

I don't think 'ease of install' really varies from unit to unit, they all have about the same install. You either run a cable to a cigarette lighter socket, or you wire it into the fuse box.

I initially liked the Dride because the 4G model advertised live remote viewing, and real time notifications if the parking sensor was triggered. No idea if those features even still exist lol.

Oh well. You win some you lose some with crowdfunding. Just an inherent risk.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
A couple years in, do we have any suggestions for easy to install, decent quality dashcams?
Bought this 3 or so years ago and have been impressed with it. Sound and video is pretty good quality. Front and rear, decent recording life and parking mode features.

https://en.ddpai.com/products/x2sprodashcam.html

Mine doesn't have the 4G box though, thats a new addition since I've bought it.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I currently run the Thinkware U1000. It has both a front facing and rear facing camera. It is worth every penny. Idk if the quality will show when posting here but I attached a photo or two of the quality I can read plates from a few car lengths away at night, it has a parking sensor (so if I get hit while I'm parked and away from the car it will fully record the event). It also records sounds and triggers on motion and sounds when in the "car is parked and off" mode. It has saved me twice when someone hit my car in a parking lot and left the scene of the accident (a screenshot of the orange jeep right before hitting me), and got rear-ended at a red light. I would have been SOL on both. The cops found the person that ran and both events were immediately ruled them at fault solely due to the camera. 10/10
Screenshot_20230903_212636_Photos.jpg

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
As you can see in the previous post I made, my car was off and parked and I was at work when it happened.
I also am attaching a photo of when driving... Well after getting rear-ended lol. The Grey Nissan was the one who hit me lol. This was after the accident turning down a side street to chat. As you can see the images are fantastic the jeep photo is tue rear facing camera (through window Tint even) . The front facing one is the Nissan image
Screenshot_20230903_212720_Photos.jpg