GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Daily Driver & Motorsports Golf R

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Have you been happy with you UM tune so far? I am thinking about going UM for my build also using a DBV2 V1 TBB.

Don't have a lot to say at this point, still figuring out the tune. They don't feel comfortable going above 22psi on e85 with my current fueling setup. I would have to sign a waiver for them to do it. Wondering if there's a mechanical issue or something else at this point, but UM doesn't help diagnosis that. They just tune with what they see in logs. Tuners with cobb and eurodyne say 30psi+ is easily obtainable.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Don't have a lot to say at this point, still figuring out the tune. They don't feel comfortable going above 22psi on e85 with my current fueling setup. I would have to sign a waiver for them to do it. Wondering if there's a mechanical issue or something else at this point, but UM doesn't help diagnosis that. They just tune with what they see in logs. Tuners with cobb and eurodyne say 30psi+ is easily obtainable.

What is your low side rail pressure?

I'm sure there is a valid reason why UM doesn't want to turn it up. They are as OG as VW tuners get and likely have more 500+whp MK7s to their name than all others combined.

They're very familiar with MPI on these cars. Ask them for information on the reason for the limitation.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You have MPI and upgraded LPFP and they can't go above 22psi? Lame.

There's more to the story Diggs.

UM is not conservative and they know MPI on these cars better than anyone. If they don't want to turn it up, there's a reason.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
What is your low side rail pressure?

I'm sure there is a valid reason why UM doesn't want to turn it up. They are as OG as VW tuners get and likely have more 500+whp MK7s to their name than all others combined.

They're very familiar with MPI on these cars. Ask them for information on the reason for the limitation.

When I logged with obd11, I saw 6bar approaching redline on e85 at 22psi. They're saying not enough fuel though. Before adding a pm4 it was 22psi so it didn't really do much.

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Made the switch to Cobb yesterday. Installing a Spulen turbo outlet pipe today. Waiting to find the time to visit Jon @ 5150!

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Where is your Turbski spooling in the rev range?

Also really like what you've done so far! Giving me some good ideas for my caR ��

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
The 91/e85 dyno tune has not been started with 5150, but on UM the V1 TBB was seeing something like 18psi by 3,600. I was limited to 22psi on UM so we'll see the whole curve to 30+ psi soon I hope.

Thanks!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
FWIW a good friend of mine has a DVB2 journal bearing turbo on his R and he's running Eurodyne maestro tuned by moose. He's at 28psi by a bit higher than 4krpm. Iirc on the ride along he was in the mid teens at 3600 RPM. Boost is delayed a tad to reduce stress on the stock bottom end.

His car felt very strong even on stock fuelling. If you haven't already done so it might be worth a shot to check out moose for tuning with Eurodyne maestro. He only does DVB2 tunes with maestro from what I've heard.

Really odd that UM of all tuners wouldn't be a bit more aggressive.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
FWIW a good friend of mine has a DVB2 journal bearing turbo on his R and he's running Eurodyne maestro tuned by moose. He's at 28psi by a bit higher than 4krpm. Iirc on the ride along he was in the mid teens at 3600 RPM. Boost is delayed a tad to reduce stress on the stock bottom end.

His car felt very strong even on stock fueling. If you haven't already done so it might be worth a shot to check out moose for tuning with Eurodyne maestro. He only does DVB2 tunes with maestro from what I've heard.

Really odd that UM of all tuners wouldn't be a bit more aggressive.

We'll see what happens soon. Probably not going to switch tuning platforms again anytime soon. Cobb is pretty darn convenient.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
We'll see what happens soon. Probably not going to switch tuning platforms again anytime soon. Cobb is pretty darn convenient.

I personally haven't decided which way I want to go tune wise with my caR. So I'm certainly interested to see how this goes for you :cool:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Quick update. Ended up around 450 whp on this mustang awd dyno. Solid line is around E75, dashed is 91. On E75 it is estimated to be around 510whp on a dynojet. Perhaps something like 560 crank based on ratios. What I find amazing is with a simple change of fuel you can add more than 100 whp. That's something water/meth can't do. Logs showed around 32.5 psi of boost holding 5bar of low pressure fuel with around 18 degrees of timing. More changes are coming though! Going from V1 to V2. Please don't ask me why...

I won't answer.

Last edited: