GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Daily Driver & Motorsports Golf R

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Quick web search...
“in my research, I've read numerous times that ethanol is electrically conductive unlike 100% gasoline which conducts no electricity. Like most electrically conductive liquids, this is a lot of why ethanol is corrosive to metal, but it is particularly more corrosive to metals that have an electrical charge on them (think terminals of a battery). In fact in the early FFVs, mfgs used a conductance sensor in the fuel tank to test the conductivity of the fuel. The more conductive it is, the more ethanol the fuel contains and thus the EEC adjusts accordingly. But more to the point, mfgs put special fuel pumps that do not expose the fuel pump electrical connections to the fuel, as most standard fuel pump connections do”

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Quick web search...
“in my research, I've read numerous times that ethanol is electrically conductive unlike 100% gasoline which conducts no electricity. Like most electrically conductive liquids, this is a lot of why ethanol is corrosive to metal, but it is particularly more corrosive to metals that have an electrical charge on them (think terminals of a battery). In fact in the early FFVs, mfgs used a conductance sensor in the fuel tank to test the conductivity of the fuel. The more conductive it is, the more ethanol the fuel contains and thus the EEC adjusts accordingly. But more to the point, mfgs put special fuel pumps that do not expose the fuel pump electrical connections to the fuel, as most standard fuel pump connections do”

Not all metal is corroding away in the basket, think we need to find better connectors. Stainless steel?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Not all metal is corroding away in the basket, think we need to find better connectors. Stainless steel?
Not yet that is. The least noble metal would be the first to corrode away so you have a good point on more noble metal connector.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
FWIW, I removed my CTS LPFP upgraded to 525 which has been living in my tank w/ e85 for over a year to fix my failed fuel sender. I had the same corrosion on that connector which broke pulling the tank out.

I fixed it by crimping on a new connector:
Did you also replace the ground wire? I suspect that will be just as green inside the insulation, and corroded as the spade was.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Nickel plated is good for high heat applications but not corrosion. Stainless and then Aluminum. Need to source some Gold connectors lol.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Once the nickel plating has corroded away that steel won’t hold up to the oxidation in the tank. The water content in the ethanol will also rust it, no?