GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
FB_IMG_1609955515761.jpg
zrickety's next conspiracy.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ok, gather round boys and... more boys. Time for the most important DIY this forum has ever seen!

How to install shocks & struts? How to upgrade to an IS38 turbo? How to retrofit MIB2? No!

How to make a good grilled cheese.

Step 1: Gather your ingredients

1609955064849.png

You will need:
  • Some bread - Here I have some Pepridge Farm Farmhouse Honey Wheat. Far from my first choice, but what I had on hand. I'm partial to a good sourdough.
  • Cheese - I had gouda and gruyere pre-shredded, and some sliced muenster. It's a pretty good combo.
  • Some fresh thyme and rosemary. Dried works fine as well.
  • Your grilling lubricants. Mayo & butter. Mayo on the bread, butter in the pan.
Step 2: Prep

1609955323000.png

Dice your herbs. Shred your cheese if it's not already shredded. Never use pre-shredded cheese. The starches they add to stop it from clumping really reduce the quality of how it melts. Mayo your bread. This will be the OUTSIDE of the sandwich. You want a decent amount, and try to get good coverage.

Step 3: Start cooking

1609955465367.png

Turn your oven to a medium heat. Put in the butter. When the butter is melted, add in some chopped thyme and rosemary. Let that cook in the butter for 30s or so, until it's fragrant.

Step 4: Add in the bread and cheese

1609955599437.png

Put the bread in the pan, MAYO SIDE DOWN! That is important. Put your cheese on the bread. I usually do sliced on one side, shredded on the other. this isn't my normal grilled cheese bread, nor my normal grilled cheese pan, so you can see it's a little bit crowded in there. Ideally, the bread will fit perfectly flat on the bottom of the pan.

Step 5: Let the cheese melt

1609955698680.png

Add in a few drops of water to the sides of the pan farthest away from the bread, and cover. You only want a few drops, because you don't want to get your bread soggy. The point is for it to evaporate and steam, helping melt the cheese. You can see it starting to get melty here.

Step 6: Uncover, combine, and finish cooking

1609955830921.png

I didn't get a good shot of combining them, but put one half on the other, and if the bread isn't toasted enough, keep grilling, flipping as necessary.

Step 7: Remove from heat, cut, and enjoy!

1609955919314.png

Take it out of the pan, and cut it. If you cut it into rectangles, you're some kind of godless heathen. Diagonally, into some kind of triangle based shape. Eat.

Look at that gooey goodness.

"That's burned"

Not really. It is a little bit darker than I normally would like, but that was due to the pan and bread not being the norm. And remember, I started with a darker, brown wheat bread instead of some kind of white bread, so the end result would naturally be darker than what you might be used to. It was still delicious.

I hope this helps someone here. Enjoy!

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Ok, gather round boys and... more boys. Time for the most important DIY this forum has ever seen!

How to install shocks & struts? How to upgrade to an IS38 turbo? How to retrofit MIB2? No!

How to make a good grilled cheese.

Step 1: Gather your ingredients

View attachment 198660

You will need:
  • Some bread - Here I have some Pepridge Farm Farmhouse Honey Wheat. Far from my first choice, but what I had on hand. I'm partial to a good sourdough.
  • Cheese - I had gouda and gruyere pre-shredded, and some sliced muenster. It's a pretty good combo.
  • Some fresh thyme and rosemary. Dried works fine as well.
  • Your grilling lubricants. Mayo & butter. Mayo on the bread, butter in the pan.
Step 2: Prep

View attachment 198661

Dice your herbs. Shred your cheese if it's not already shredded. Never use pre-shredded cheese. The starches they add to stop it from clumping really reduce the quality of how it melts. Mayo your bread. This will be the OUTSIDE of the sandwich. You want a decent amount, and try to get good coverage.

Step 3: Start cooking

View attachment 198662

Turn your oven to a medium heat. Put in the butter. When the butter is melted, add in some chopped thyme and rosemary. Let that cook in the butter for 30s or so, until it's fragrant.

Step 4: Add in the bread and cheese

View attachment 198664

Put the bread in the pan, MAYO SIDE DOWN! That is important. Put your cheese on the bread. I usually do sliced on one side, shredded on the other. this isn't my normal grilled cheese bread, nor my normal grilled cheese pan, so you can see it's a little bit crowded in there. Ideally, the bread will fit perfectly flat on the bottom of the pan.

Step 5: Let the cheese melt

View attachment 198665

Add in a few drops of water to the sides of the pan farthest away from the bread, and cover. You only want a few drops, because you don't want to get your bread soggy. The point is for it to evaporate and steam, helping melt the cheese. You can see it starting to get melty here.

Step 6: Uncover, combine, and finish cooking

View attachment 198666

I didn't get a good shot of combining them, but put one half on the other, and if the bread isn't toasted enough, keep grilling, flipping as necessary.

Step 7: Remove from heat, cut, and enjoy!

View attachment 198670

Take it out of the pan, and cut it. If you cut it into rectangles, you're some kind of godless heathen. Diagonally, into some kind of triangle based shape. Eat.

Look at that gooey goodness.

"That's burned"

Not really. It is a little bit darker than I normally would like, but that was due to the pan and bread not being the norm. And remember, I started with a darker, brown wheat bread instead of some kind of white bread, so the end result would naturally be darker than what you might be used to. It was still delicious.

I hope this helps someone here. Enjoy!
Best DIY the forum has ever seen. Sticky, NAO

For the mayo doubters that haven't tried it, the Maillard reaction the mayo undergoes as it browns from being face side down completely changes the flavor profile. The mayo in this form will not taste anything like a mayo spread on a cold cut sandwich, which is what you may be imagining when you think "grilled cheese + mayo".

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Of coarse you’d have an induction top

Have you ever used an induction top? Not like a glass topped electric, but a true induction top?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Best DIY the forum has ever seen. Sticky, NAO

For the mayo doubters that haven't tried it, the Maillard reaction the mayo undergoes as it browns from being face side down completely changes the flavor profile. The mayo in this form will not taste anything like a mayo spread on a cold cut sandwich, which is what you may be imagining when you think "grilled cheese + mayo".

@jay745, can you pull out that post and move it to the DIY section of the forum?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Have you ever used an induction top? Not like a glass topped electric, but a true induction top?
Induction is really nice and super efficient, but my cooking style can tear up the surface. I'm a big fan of the "two hands active" style you see in the kitchen of Asian restaurants -- moving the pan back and forth while stir frying with your other hand. Not every dish requires this, but I cook enough that do and scraping the pan on induction tops leaves them not purdy (ask me how I know). Gas cooktops are best for this method.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car