GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I’ve got A/S3+ as my “summer” tires and like them. Stiff sidewalls, so crisp turn-in and good handling. They’re not quite as grippy as the pure summer tires I’ve had on the car, but they’re predictable at the limit and grippy enough for the street.

I won’t run them in real snow, but they’ve been great in the shoulder months when we might get a bit of precip and temps are around freezing. I end up running them an extra couple of months a year over when I had real summer tires, so the trade-off is worth it for me.

On the winter side, tires have come a long way over the years. I’m on Blizzak WS90 now, and they handle almost like a performance winter from ten years ago.

They’re still no fun if pavement is bare and you want to drive even slightly spirited, but they don’t totally suck all the enjoyment from pavement driving like regular winter tires did a few generations ago.

New guy coming in with actual discussion. This thread has gone down hill.

For shame!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Performance winter tires are just rebranded all seasons marketed at enthusiasts. Wide operating temperature band, stiffer sidewall, and more solid tread pattern that reduce snow handling capabilities? Sounds an awful lot like an all season tire...

AM407

Autocross Champion
Performance winter tires are just rebranded all seasons marketed at enthusiasts. Wide operating temperature band, stiffer sidewall, and more solid tread pattern that reduce snow handling capabilities? Sounds an awful lot like an all season tire...
Check out the tread compounds. Performance winters still have a winter compound that’s softer than all seasons. It’s obvious just by giving them a squeeze.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mayo

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Check out the tread compounds. Performance winters still have a winter compound that’s softer than all seasons. It’s obvious just by giving them a squeeze.
They use high carbon mayonnaise in the compound.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
LOL no

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
He mentioned all season tires and driving "at the limit"

We can disregard
😜

I’d say his analysis is accurate. “at the limit” from my formal training denotes the limit of adhesion. This limit is based on the tires used, not the maximum adhesion available in other tires. That is, driving on four donut spares would provide less adhesion than driving the same vehicle on Hoosier slicks. While the Hoosiers will allow over 1g in lateral acceleration, it doesn’t change the limit of adhesion, “the limit”, of the donut spares.

Ergo, the argument that driving at the limits of the Pilot Sport AS3+ is valid and cannot be disregarded on a subjective determination by the opposition.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Marketing team conference:
"But who in their right mind will believe it's a winter tire?"
"Well, people in Chicago think this is pizza, so....
Screenshot_20210305-122606.png

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Unfortunately, I just run a/s year round. I don’t have anywhere appropriate to store an additional set of wheels and tires. I loved my AS3+.
Same. I wish I had room to store seasonal tires, but alas...
My AS4s have been absolute champs through Seattle's constant winter rain -- never sketchy and I always feel in control. Absolutely could not say the same about the Nexen "performance" all-seasons that the Michelins replaced.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Tomatoes are going good, that tall one is a bag seed from gorilla glue picked up in Colorado a year ago. Might be a male Tomatoe so have to keep an eye out.
The other 2 smaller ones(Bruce Banner and girl scout are auto Tomatoes) and the one in the small pot is ghost og photo. That power outage almost did them in!
quoted just to draw attention.

How did wife do the other day?

AM407

Autocross Champion
I’d say his analysis is accurate. “at the limit” from my formal training denotes the limit of adhesion. This limit is based on the tires used, not the maximum adhesion available in other tires. That is, driving on four donut spares would provide less adhesion than driving the same vehicle on Hoosier slicks. While the Hoosiers will allow over 1g in lateral acceleration, it doesn’t change the limit of adhesion, “the limit”, of the donut spares.

Ergo, the argument that driving at the limits of the Pilot Sport AS3+ is valid and cannot be disregarded on a subjective determination by the opposition.
Yeah, thanks.

I’ve got a fair bit of track time, but not much in the GTI. “At the limit” on the track is obviously “at the limit,” and it would be crazy to drive like that on the street.

Having said that, the limits of the A/S3+ are lower, so it’s easier to get closer to them on the street, which ends up being more fun (driving slow car fast, instead of fast car slow.)

Also temperatures: on cold pavement, on cold tires (which is why I bought A/S3+ in the first place), it’s definitely possible to find the limit on the street.

Oh, and mayo!