GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Performance winter tires? I don't think so. Going on a limb and guessing you've never tried a set of performance winters...
Had a set of "performance winters" sottozero 3's and they were quite great, didnt feel like I was giving up anything in the dry and the snow performance was excellent (Golf R).

I think the tradeoff was that the tread life wasn't anything amazing and there was a bit of extra noise, as to be expected.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Had a set of "performance winters" sottozero 3's and they were quite great, didnt feel like I was giving up anything in the dry and the snow performance was excellent (Golf R).

I think the tradeoff was that the tread life wasn't anything amazing and there was a bit of extra noise, as to be expected.
I don’t think I ever owned a set of winters that weren’t noisy lol

cb1111

I bought a set of Conti Viking7 (16") and they are pretty good. I actually had a good test - 30 miles to the tire place in bad weather and 34 degree weather. 30 miles back in the Conti's and I was sold.

There was one hill that many couldn't go up - they'd get halfway up and either end up in the ditch or slide back down. The Alltrack with the Conti's had no issues.

I was sold on snows 20 years ago and while no-seasons will do, the swap to snows is a huge improvement, but it really depends on your requirements and if you can stay home when the weather gets dicey.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
@Allchokedup what lamps are you using to grow your Japanese Maple starters? I'm trying to grow some various seedlings and don't think I have enough LED wattage

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Well, to save the upfront capital in the GTI, I’ll be going with a set of 18’s and slapping on my <4k old stock what ever they are.

I’m going to dabble in a couple autocross events this season. I was fairly competitive in the 90s in DS and the early days of ST. If I catch the bug, I’ll be buying a set of very light 17s with proper rubber.

AM407

Autocross Champion
T
I bought a set of Conti Viking7 (16") and they are pretty good. I actually had a good test - 30 miles to the tire place in bad weather and 34 degree weather. 30 miles back in the Conti's and I was sold.

There was one hill that many couldn't go up - they'd get halfway up and either end up in the ditch or slide back down. The Alltrack with the Conti's had no issues.

I was sold on snows 20 years ago and while no-seasons will do, the swap to snows is a huge improvement, but it really depends on your requirements and if you can stay home when the weather gets dicey.
Those VikingContact7s are supposed to be really great. Among the best in the Euro winter tire tests when they came out a couple years ago.

I really wanted to try them, but the Blizzak WS90s were quite a bit cheaper. Can’t go wrong with the Blizzaks, but I still kind of wish I’d tried the Contis.

cb1111

T

Those VikingContact7s are supposed to be really great. Among the best in the Euro winter tire tests when they came out a couple years ago.

I really wanted to try them, but the Blizzak WS90s were quite a bit cheaper. Can’t go wrong with the Blizzaks, but I still kind of wish I’d tried the Contis.
The Blizzaks are great tires but are less snowy than the Contis. I need to be able to go most anywhere anytime, so I opted for the Contis on 16's - otherwise I would have gotten the Blizzaks on 17's. In cold temps, snow and ice, the Conti's are better, but when it comes to warmer temps (50+) and spirited driving, the Blizzaks are better.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I bought the Michelin X-Ice because they were basically new and already mounted. I was a Blizzak man, but for the ice you can’t beat the Michelin.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Ban the snow. Make Global Warming Great Again!!!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
When I was working at the Yoplait plant and had to travel out to Corporate in MN- Which was ALWAYS in the winter - I would find it funny that the locals were freezing and complaining right next to me. I just came from 65 degree weather and they've been living this shit for like 3 months. :ROFLMAO: