GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic...Deaths After Vaccine Are 'Unrelated Coincidence' According To The CDC

AM407

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve got A/S3+ as my “summer” tires and like them. Stiff sidewalls, so crisp turn-in and good handling. They’re not quite as grippy as the pure summer tires I’ve had on the car, but they’re predictable at the limit and grippy enough for the street.

I won’t run them in real snow, but they’ve been great in the shoulder months when we might get a bit of precip and temps are around freezing. I end up running them an extra couple of months a year over when I had real summer tires, so the trade-off is worth it for me.

On the winter side, tires have come a long way over the years. I’m on Blizzak WS90 now, and they handle almost like a performance winter from ten years ago.

They’re still no fun if pavement is bare and you want to drive even slightly spirited, but they don’t totally suck all the enjoyment from pavement driving like regular winter tires did a few generations ago.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I’ve got A/S3+ as my “summer” tires and like them. Stiff sidewalls, so crisp turn-in and good handling. They’re not quite as grippy as the pure summer tires I’ve had on the car, but they’re predictable at the limit and grippy enough for the street.

I won’t run them in real snow, but they’ve been great in the shoulder months when we might get a bit of precip and temps are around freezing. I end up running them an extra couple of months a year over when I had real summer tires, so the trade-off is worth it for me.

On the winter side, tires have come a long way over the years. I’m on Blizzak WS90 now, and they handle almost like a performance winter from ten years ago.

They’re still no fun if pavement is bare and you want to drive even slightly spirited, but they don’t totally suck all the enjoyment from pavement driving like regular winter tires did a few generations ago.

New guy coming in with actual discussion. This thread has gone down hill.

For shame!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Performance winter tires are just rebranded all seasons marketed at enthusiasts. Wide operating temperature band, stiffer sidewall, and more solid tread pattern that reduce snow handling capabilities? Sounds an awful lot like an all season tire...

AM407

Go Kart Newbie
Performance winter tires are just rebranded all seasons marketed at enthusiasts. Wide operating temperature band, stiffer sidewall, and more solid tread pattern that reduce snow handling capabilities? Sounds an awful lot like an all season tire...
Check out the tread compounds. Performance winters still have a winter compound that’s softer than all seasons. It’s obvious just by giving them a squeeze.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Check out the tread compounds. Performance winters still have a winter compound that’s softer than all seasons. It’s obvious just by giving them a squeeze.
They use high carbon mayonnaise in the compound.

jay745

track sl00t
Car(s)
2 vw's
LOL no

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
He mentioned all season tires and driving "at the limit"

We can disregard
😜

I’d say his analysis is accurate. “at the limit” from my formal training denotes the limit of adhesion. This limit is based on the tires used, not the maximum adhesion available in other tires. That is, driving on four donut spares would provide less adhesion than driving the same vehicle on Hoosier slicks. While the Hoosiers will allow over 1g in lateral acceleration, it doesn’t change the limit of adhesion, “the limit”, of the donut spares.

Ergo, the argument that driving at the limits of the Pilot Sport AS3+ is valid and cannot be disregarded on a subjective determination by the opposition.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Marketing team conference:
"But who in their right mind will believe it's a winter tire?"
"Well, people in Chicago think this is pizza, so....
Screenshot_20210305-122606.png

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Unfortunately, I just run a/s year round. I don’t have anywhere appropriate to store an additional set of wheels and tires. I loved my AS3+.
Same. I wish I had room to store seasonal tires, but alas...
My AS4s have been absolute champs through Seattle's constant winter rain -- never sketchy and I always feel in control. Absolutely could not say the same about the Nexen "performance" all-seasons that the Michelins replaced.