GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Biden Moves To Outlaw Acorns, Limit Squirrel Immigration

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Are we really living longer than our ancestors...no, not really.
In the 1st Century, the consul M Valerius Corvinos (100 years), Cicero’s wife Terentia (103), a woman named Clodia (115 – and who had 15 children along the way), and the actress Lucceia who performed on stage at 100 years old.
Of 397 ancients in total, 99 died violently by murder, suicide or in battle.
Of the remaining 298, those born before 100BC lived to a median age of 72 years.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...r-than-our-ancestors?utm_source=pocket-newtab

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
My point being modern medicine is a cruel joke.
medicine.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And on a related note, the gf and I went for a 37 mile bike ride around chicago yesterday. We didn't wear masks unless we were going in a store for a drink, no reason to as we weren't right on top of anyone. The amount of people sitting in huge parks etc 50 feet away from anyone else wearing masks was laughable. It's like people in this city think the air is toxic....

People that understand the mechanics of how the virus is spread aren't the ones wearing masks outdoors in a park 50 ft away from anyone or the ones refusing to wear a mask in stores. And the difference between those 2 groups is, the people in the park aren't harming anyone else.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
In the 1st Century, the consul M Valerius Corvinos (100 years), Cicero’s wife Terentia (103), a woman named Clodia (115 – and who had 15 children along the way), and the actress Lucceia who performed on stage at 100 years old.
Of the remaining 298, those born before 100BC lived to a median age of 72 years.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...r-than-our-ancestors?utm_source=pocket-newtab

So you don't believe in the Bible? We live much shorter lives than some big name biblical figures.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you just wake up from a nap?

Daytona has different courses. When I said Daytona I was talking about the oval track. The one Nascar runs on. I admit that you could beat me on a road course with lots of turns and short straights because I don't have experience with that. But on the oval even though you could take the turns at higher speeds I would build such a lead in the straights that you couldn't possibly make up for it in the turns.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Daytona has different courses. When I said Daytona I was talking about the oval track. The one Nascar runs on. I admit that you could beat me on a road course with lots of turns and short straights because I don't have experience with that. But on the oval even though you could take the turns at higher speeds I would build such a lead in the straights that you couldn't possibly make up for it in the turns.

Who would bother to do the oval in street cars? Come on man.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
So you don't believe in the Bible? We live much shorter lives than some big name biblical figures.
I do. But I expected you of all people to be touting the 'marvels of modern medicine' and telling me how much better off we are now.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

Interesting article.

A quote from it:

Our maximum lifespan may not have changed much, if at all. But that’s not to delegitimise the extraordinary advances of the last few decades which have helped so many more people reach that maximum lifespan, and live healthier lives overall.

Advances like medicine?!? Hygiene? Understanding of bacteria and viruses. Studies, data, lots of smart people.

Advances that increased the average life expectancy. Fewer babies die at birth due to medical advances. Fewer people die from plagues. Another quote from the article.
except for the 14th Century, when the bubonic plague cut life expectancy to a paltry 45

Medicine surely helped with these things.

Last edited:

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I do. But I expected you of all people to be touting the 'marvels of modern medicine' and telling me how much better off we are now.
You had a stem cell transplant. Would you still be here today enjoying the same quality of life if you didn't????

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
The average life expectancy has increases part in duw t

Interesting article.

A quote from it:

Advances like medicine?!? Hygiene? Understanding of bacteria and viruses. Studies, data, lots of smart people.

Advances that increased the average life expectancy. Fewer babies die at birth due to medical advances. Fewer people die from plagues. Another quote from the article.

Medicine surely helped with these things.

Here is another quote from the article Zcrickety posted that he seemed to overlook

In 2016, Gazzaniga published her research on more than 2,000 ancient Roman skeletons, all working-class people who were buried in common graves. The average age of death was 30, and that wasn’t a mere statistical quirk: a high number of the skeletons were around that age. Many showed the effects of trauma from hard labour, as well as diseases we would associate with later ages, like arthritis.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Single people living to 100 in the ancient past means nothing against the thousands that died in their 30s.

This is like thinking that average height isn't increasing because some of the Vikings may have been 7 feet tall in the dark ages.

Come on man.