GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The classy alcoholics thread

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
IMG_20210124_211517_516.jpg

Woodford Reserve, Ti ashtray, Flathead Mayan 6x54.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I've been concentrating on Scotch (Islay region mostly) mostly for a while, interested to see what suggestions you get and I'll probably try one myself next trip to the store.

What Islays have you been enjoying recently? I love that taste, just finished my bottle of Ardbeg 10 the other day. Last year I treated myself to a bottle of Laphroaig Lore 🤤🤤🤤🤤

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I'll go with highland, that peaty shit isn't my thing.
s2g that bottle of Lore tasted like Texas brisket, it was awesome.

I've been wanting to branch out a little more but haven't really strayed from my usual. I do like a Glenmorangie every now and again.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
smoky is fine, it's the peat moss that gets me. smells like I'm drinking dirty mud.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
What Islays have you been enjoying recently? I love that taste, just finished my bottle of Ardbeg 10 the other day. Last year I treated myself to a bottle of Laphroaig Lore 🤤🤤🤤🤤

I started with Laphoaig 1/4 Cask, loved it. Tried their Triple Wood and was not disappointed but have not tried their Lore. Then I tried a 10year Ardbeg and need to sample some more of theirs.

This last weekend was out at a pub we hadn't been to before and they had a nice selection. I had a Talisker Distillers Edition that was not bad and then I had a glass of Glengarioch 1994 Batch 32 which cost $19 for the glass but was fully worth it.

smoky is fine, it's the peat moss that gets me. smells like I'm drinking dirty mud.

Islay is peaty but also very salty from the sea spray, not mud at all. But then, I like the peat flavor also. To me scotch is peat smoke, it's what makes it unique.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I started with Laphoaig 1/4 Cask, loved it. Tried their Triple Wood and was not disappointed but have not tried their Lore. Then I tried a 10year Ardbeg and need to sample some more of theirs.

This last weekend was out at a pub we hadn't been to before and they had a nice selection. I had a Talisker Distillers Edition that was not bad and then I had a glass of Glengarioch 1994 Batch 32 which cost $19 for the glass but was fully worth it.

Islay is peaty but also very salty from the sea spray, not mud at all. But then, I like the peat flavor also. To me scotch is peat smoke, it's what makes it unique.
I have actually been meaning to try some islay scotch. I have only had highland which I enjoy. I definitely plan on trying a few of these that have been discussed

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not a big whisky drinker or anything for that matter, but have a bottle of 10 yr single malt scotch from Isle Of Arran. Got it while I was there. Was waiting for a special occasion to open it and now 18 years later, it's still unopened. I think it's time.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Still gonna taste like a 10 year, which should be pretty good. The years only accrue in the barrel, where the tannens (tannins?) are able to impart additional flavor and character to the scotch. What barrels you may ask, well, once used charred white oak barrels of course (thats where whiskey and bourbon come from)

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Still gonna taste like a 10 year, which should be pretty good. The years only accrue in the barrel, where the tannens (tannins?) are able to impart additional flavor and character to the scotch. What barrels you may ask, well, once used charred white oak barrels of course (thats where whiskey and bourbon come from)
Now see I thought they still smoothed out over time even in the bottle? I could be totally wrong though so feel free to correct me lol