GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I concur. Stay healthy folks. Hoping I can get through this. Weed smoking Asthma individual right here too. Woke up feeling super fatigued and feverish but no other symptoms of Covid at this time. Separated from the family until.....
View attachment 168751

Well shit. Don’t take ibuprofen/Advil as supposedly the worst cases are people who took that family of drugs to reduce fever.

Read up on it, I have absolutely zero medical knowledge, but that’s what I’ve been told. Hopefully you get well soon

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Well shit. Don’t take ibuprofen/Advil as supposedly the worst cases are people who took that family of drugs to reduce fever.

Read up on it, I have absolutely zero medical knowledge, but that’s what I’ve been told. Hopefully you get well soon
Thanks Jake. I took Tylenol 500mg about an hour ago. Dropped the temp from 101.4 to 100.4f. Still cold sweats and body aches.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks Jake. I took Tylenol 500mg about an hour ago. Dropped the temp from 101.4 to 100.4f. Still cold sweats and body aches.

I had a wicked case of the flu this winter, and then my appendix removed shortly after that. Fluids and lots of rest work wonders although the second part of that is the hardest thing in the world with kids/work/side work/wife Pinterest projects if you wanna call that work rattling around in my brain lol.

Glad its dropping already, but yeah take it easy for sure and keep us in the loop.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I concur. Stay healthy folks. Hoping I can get through this. Weed smoking Asthma individual right here too. Woke up feeling super fatigued and feverish but no other symptoms of Covid at this time. Separated from the family until.....
View attachment 168751
From what I've read a fever out of nowhere is likely the flu. If it were the C-19 most people experience a slow build up in other symptoms before they finally get the fever.

I've read also that the fever you get from the new virus is much higher, like 103-104. Anecdotal evidence obviously.

Hope you feel better soon.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
5EA72ECA-7B5D-4C5E-9712-9362AB8355E3.jpeg

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Some of those symptoms for corona are surprising. I've been reading that a runny nose was a common symptom and shortness of breath also. It's the shortness of breath that has me the most scared because I have COPD and often have shortness of breath anyway.
Usually starts with a fever first they say,
Coronavirus symptoms: What are they and how do I protect myself? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51048366
Coronavirus: Mercedes F1 to make breathing aid https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002

nype

Drag Racing Champion
That misinformation about not using ibuprofen (Advil) was shot down by the WHO / Canadian govt this past week. Just FYI

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I work for a small 330 bed hospital and we're losing a million a day and looking at layoffs, so....
Same here...maybe 350 beds max (?)

I didn't/don't know they were losing money though, but I work in X-ray in the E.R.....so it's kind of essential as they're ordering (mostly portable) Chest X-rays on anyone with the symptoms to rule it out & the influx of patients is definitely keeping us busy.

So yeah....I'm getting exposed to everyone :oops:
And the shortage of supplies (to protect us) is not helping or comforting

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I drove by Walmart this morning. Probably a couple hundred cars there, maybe more. No thanks!
The neighbors across the street had a birthday party today. :rolleyes:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The neighbors across the street had a birthday party today. :rolleyes:
Some people are incapable of being cautious if they cannot perceive immediate consequences.

Other people are just flat out dumb.

Hard to say what the best course is here. Does anyone think it would have been an overreaction to call the cops?

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Some people are incapable of being cautious if they cannot perceive immediate consequences.

Other people are just flat out dumb.

Hard to say what the best course is here. Does anyone think it would have been an overreaction to call the cops?

This weekend was the second in a row that 30-40 people gathered at the gazebo in our neighborhood common area and had a party of Friday night. I doubt the police would even come, at least in my neck of the woods.

Even in the hospital after my FIL took a heart attack, half his ICE nurses were of the "it's just the flu" camp. We're going to end up being our own worse enemy with this.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This weekend was the second in a row that 30-40 people gathered
at the gazebo in our neighborhood common area and had a party of Friday night. I doubt the police would even come, at least in my neck of the woods.

Even in the hospital after my FIL took a heart attack, half his ICE nurses were of the "it's just the flu" camp. We're going to end up being our own worse enemy with this.

Both my wife and I are finding the same thing at the hospitals we work at. Many nurses and providers are still saying it's just like the flu. Seeing what's going on in NY, I've never heard of any ER having 10 to 20 Flu patients die in the ER in a shift. It's complete denial and politics has clouded so many people's basic reasoning skills.

On the bright side, no one has called for treating the patients with Brawndo yet, so we've got that going for us.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Same here...maybe 350 beds max (?)

I didn't/don't know they were losing money though, but I work in X-ray in the E.R.....so it's kind of essential as they're ordering (mostly portable) Chest X-rays on anyone with the symptoms to rule it out & the influx of patients is definitely keeping us busy.

So yeah....I'm getting exposed to everyone :oops:
And the shortage of supplies (to protect us) is not helping or comforting

If they've stopped elective procedures and outpatient lab and rad have slowed, they are losing money. Those are profit centers. ER's are giant cash burning machines. Since retiring, I've worked at one hospital that actually made money with their ER and the hospital was in an affluent area with high rates of health insurance coverage. Other than that, ER's are huge money losers for hosptitals.

I'm seeing that you can reuse N95 masks if you bake them at 158 deg F for 2 hours. Also, 2 layers of instrument wrap can be made into a mask and provides N99 levels of protection. In our area, people are sewing cloth masks to cover the N95 masks to keep them from getting soiled and masks with pouches to hold sheets of instrument wrap. The federal government isn't coming to the rescue here, so we're going to have to get creative.