GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The “Greta” Build Thread - Economy Continues To Nosedive, Tune Project STILL On Hold

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Welcome to The Thread:

Greetings everyone, welcome to my build thread for “Greta”! I’ve had my GTI for a few years now and I decided it was time to start one to mark down it’s modifications and other events over the years.

List of Current Modifications:

Performance Mods:
Ingen SP Series Short Ram CAI, Borla 3” stainless steel cat-back system, Baun Performance FMIC Kit

Cosmetic Mods: Helix Projector headlights w/ red strip, 19” VW Pretoria style rims, front and rear red GTI emblems, ”Kill All The Wipers” rear wiper flush kit, painted “smoked“ OEM tail lights, BFI Heavy Weight Shift Knob (DSG Auto version, Rosso Centaurus Leather, Black Anodized Metal)

On Deck:
Stage One Cobb Tune

24AFF05B-2529-4997-AD13-6D48B07B504E.jpeg

The Beginning of The Build (Prior to the creation of the thread):

5A403A46-2291-4678-8108-FF7F1DD2DE8C.jpeg

This was the first car. 2012 V6 Mustang was purchased in 2012 with 29,000 miles. I later added 19” ”brembo style” rims, BBK intake, 93 octane SCT tune and Trident motorsports custom axle back exhaust. Side note about the exhaust: as biased as it may seem, it was easily the best sounding exhaust on a V6 Mustang I’ve ever heard. Half the price of it’s competitors and (in my non-professional welder opinion) the quality of the welds were excellent. In addition, side emblems, painted/ smoked tail lights, red mirror covers hood struts and an OEM tail from a GT (repainted) were also added.

83CF2547-D98E-41AC-98AE-3E244D7A1287.jpeg

I decided I needed something more practical and got this thing. 2017 MK7 GTI, brand new off the lot for 26K. The journey hasn’t been too crazy but I will say that at first, I wasn’t a fan of the car. I had driven one or two previously but as time went on, I got very bored with it after I bought it. It didn’t feel as entertaining as the mustang did with regards to pickup/ driving. I also wasn’t a particular fan of how some things looked on the car. For example, the OEM Austin Style black rims were a major pain in the ass to clean and I didn’t find the headlights very attractive.

CD034E76-C88C-44A9-9492-6B190BED96DC.jpeg

So off to the drawing board I went and decided the headlights were the first to be swapped out. Did some research and found Helix Projector headlights (LEDs) with the red strip to match the grille. I had a friend with a body shop install them, they look and work great!

633B7AF8-43D8-4D8F-9328-EB1870A83C99.jpeg

Next was the power/ response dilemma. With the stock intake, the car felt as if it was trying to breathe through a vacuum cleaner bag. I started doing research for intakes and decided I wanted an Injen CAI. However, right before I hit the purchase button I found out that a friend of a friend was getting rid of his Injen intake for his GLI. I asked how much, he said no funds required. So that saved me around $300. Works very well, makes a huge difference when you hit the gas. With the OEM intake you couldn’t hear the turbo spool, after installation you could hear it spool on every accel/ decel. On top of that, the engine was now getting more consistent air flow which felt like a miracle compared to the OEM intake.

Next was the rims. This task I considered to be ”trial and error”. I tried 10/15MM spacers to make the OEM Austin Style rims flush with the car (which worked) but the rims were not easy to clean/ avoid watermarks, so it was time to find a new set.

08C0B4B8-2743-4B6D-A772-4FC3D85D631D.jpeg

I did some research and eventually found the set I wanted. 19” Pretoria aluminum finish rims were the choice, mainly becuase they look great and I have a wheel/ tire protection package on the car that is good for OEM rims (Pretoria’s still considered factory). Trying to find a set under $1,500 wasn’t easy (nearly scammed on one set I found on this forum) but I eventually found a set being sold up in MA. The guy was selling two brand new plus two used rims w/ continentals for $800 which seemed too good to be true (brand new set of these rims cost around $3,600). I accepted the offer and later found out why they were priced so low. The seller had a MK7 R model and had another two sets of rims for it (daily rims and track set). He didn’t like these for daily driving as potholes became an issue so he just wanted them to go to a good home.

Next up, front/ back silver badges were set to be swapped with red ones. I swapped the front badge but had a local shop professionally align the rear badge (car was getting swirl removal at the time so they said they’d do it).

0F762FE0-917A-4733-B697-98979F8665C9.jpeg

6AD6378D-A44E-4707-A312-F896666669BC.jpeg

The next project was to tackle the sound and power (again) issues which led to the search for an exhaust system. I wanted to follow a similar path with the first car (inexpensive, great quality and sound) but as I reviewed the choices, it seemed difficult to find an inexpensive option. I eventually decided to bite the bullet on a Borla 3” stainless steel cat-back system (pictured above). To this day, I have no regrets for that purchase. I got what I expected from the sound, not obnoxious but more aggressive (especially after shifting). Great cold start as well!

Attachments

• 1646010073956.jpeg
    1646010073956.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 65
  • 1646010218976.jpeg
    1646010218976.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Inb4 greta

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Interior Light Project:

I got a bit bored after the holidays (work was slow) so I decided to replace the non-led bulbs in my interior with new LED’s. I put white LEDs in the glovebox and trunk.

1646011988834.jpeg

I decided to go one step further with the lighting situation. People who step into the car actually notice the red trim and plaid seats. It’s one of the GTI’s best features so why not emphasize it more with some red foot well lights?

1646010524201.jpeg

1646010424403.jpeg

My next task is changing the color with the ambient light located under the door handle/ arm rest area. Should be a simple fix with transparent red tape (and some glue). I’ll post when its done.

Last edited:

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I got a bit bored after the holidays (work was slow) so I decided to replace the non-led bulbs in my interior with new LED’s. I put white LEDs in the glovebox and trunk.

View attachment 240764

I decided to go one step further with the lighting situation. People who step into the car actually notice the red trim and plaid seats. It’s one of the GTI’s best features so why not emphasize it more with some red foot well lights?

View attachment 240763

View attachment 240762

My next task is changing the color with the ambient light located under the door handle/ arm rest area. Should be a simple fix with transparent red tape (and some glue). I’ll post when its done.
Hell ya brother

20210103_111547.jpg

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Next Mods: Shifter Knob and Downpipes

So my next mods are simple and not-so-simple. I‘d like to swap out my shifter knob (current OEM one has some scratches on the leather). I happen to like the BFI knobs (assuming they can be installed on an automatic MK7) but I’m curious to see if there are any other brands I should look at before pulling that trigger.
B471DB29-C4E5-44F2-8518-133572A5A5F5.png

I’m also looking to start research on a down pipe. At some point I’d like to tune the car but I’d like to give the car as much air flow as I can before I do so.

@GTI Jake where ya at?? Could use your input.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes if you like that specific knob you you just will Have to order missing pedal version as the knobs are very different in function and designs.

https://blackforestindustries.com/c...oducts/copy-of-gs2-air-leather-vw-audi-manual

Racseng and sportshifters also make really nice DSG knobs.

DP options and directions is quite a long list of options for this platform, but Yes if you want top quality and fitment for a DP emailing Jake direct will get you started.

https://m.facebook.com/gtijake/?__nodl&ref=external:www.google.com&_rdr

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yes if you like that specific knob you you just will Have to order missing pedal version as the knobs are very different in function and designs.

https://blackforestindustries.com/c...oducts/copy-of-gs2-air-leather-vw-audi-manual

Racseng and sportshifters also make really nice DSG knobs.

DP options and directions is quite a long list of options for this platform, but Yes if you want top quality and fitment for a DP emailing Jake direct will get you started.

https://m.facebook.com/gtijake/?__nodl&ref=external:www.google.com&_rdr

The missing pedal version is the one that you need to lift up in order to shift, correct?