GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The “Greta” Build Thread - Economy Continues To Nosedive, Tune Project STILL On Hold

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Roads continue to be ignored by local entities. I’ll give Hochul some credit for seemingly re-paving the 495 (even though it will go to shit in less than three years) but I smacked a good size pothole on a local highway the other day and even with the amount we pay in taxes (in New York, mind you), no one in charge of fixing the roads bats an eye. Granted if you hit a pothole and bust a rim after May, you can send in the costs to NYS/ local county and they will pay the loss.

Regardless, It’s June fucking 14th and I would like to not have to deal with this. FIGURE IT OUT!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
The Install (And Then Things Got Interesting…)

View attachment 252205

After work yesterday, I finally removed the old knob. Pretty simple process pulling off the boot and removing the knob, installation was even easier.

View attachment 252224

I tested the mechanism before installing the knob, seemed to shift ok when it moved from P down to D. After that I lined up the seam and emblem.

View attachment 252225

And here’s the finished product! All was going well…

View attachment 252226

…Right until the shifter refused to move from the P position. I couldn’t figure out why the shifter wouldn’t move. Then I remembered that while installing the new shifter, there is a center screw that goes through the plastic piece that locked the shifter in place. However, the plastic hole was twice the width of the screw, so when I unscrewed the knob, it became apparent that the screw was slipping within the hole.

I was about an hour or so from home and I didn’t have any tools on me, so I had to improvise to get the car moving. A light bulb went off in my head as my key ring was made of a bendable metal (RaceSeng key ring) so I snaked it through the hole and shifted the car into gear (way more smooth when shifting as the metal band was inserted, mind you).

As I was driving home, I was thinking about methods to fix this issue. I needed some sort of metal similar to the key ring band. When I got home I did some looking around the house and decided to utilize a metal coat hanger to fit the remaining space in the mechanism. I cut off a small piece that fit and it worked to perfection as I shifted the knob to test and make sure that the newly cut piece of metal wouldn’t move.

When I unscrewed the knob to double check the newly added metal piece, it hadn’t moved from its original place. The shifter has some play in it once fully installed (which is normal) but I made sure I didn’t hear anything shaking/ rattling inside the knob.

I will keep an eye on it for a while anyway (just in case) but it looks like some classic red-neck engineering saved the day!
i had the same issue with bfi dsg knobs, they kind of either 'work' (go up and down) but can twist clockwise and counter clockwise, which feels wierd, or they just lock in place. i think it was due to the set screws clamping on the shaft. i couldn't find a way around it. leyo knob to the rescue.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
i had the same issue with bfi dsg knobs, they kind of either 'work' (go up and down) but can twist clockwise and counter clockwise, which feels wierd, or they just lock in place. i think it was due to the set screws clamping on the shaft. i couldn't find a way around it. leyo knob to the rescue.

Thankfully havent had that issue yet. I wonder if they fixed that issue with the low grade loctite application on the screws

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I was hoping to have Greta Tuned by now, but the budget for that project is completely gone. Hoping to get it done by the end of the year (at this point)…

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I was hoping to have Greta Tuned by now, but the budget for that project is completely gone. Hoping to get it done by the end of the year (at this point)…

On the bright side of things, I let the girlie take my car for a spin earlier to run an errand.

She loves driving it and BOY does Greta sound good on takeoff from far away :love:

Last edited:

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Update: Greta victimized a raccoon going 80 on the highway the other day. Fog light got knocked out of place (not cracked as far as I can tell) but I lost the plastic lip under the bumper.

Off to the body shop to get fixed…

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
US $14.25 36% Off | Car Front Bumper Lip Lower Spoiler Air Deflector Valance Trim For Volkswagen VW Golf MK7 GTI 2015 2016 2017 5GG8059039B9
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP8DvVa

$15

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
US $14.25 36% Off | Car Front Bumper Lip Lower Spoiler Air Deflector Valance Trim For Volkswagen VW Golf MK7 GTI 2015 2016 2017 5GG8059039B9
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP8DvVa

$15
Wish I saw this earlier but she’s already at the shop. I know the guy who owns the place, I most likely wont be charged anything but I appreciate the help!

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Wish I saw this earlier but she’s already at the shop. I know the guy who owns the place, I most likely wont be charged anything but I appreciate the help!

Well, the fog light was completely destroyed along with supports for the bumper. They have both been replaced. They did miss the splitter but I plan on ordering the one above, I’ll install it myself.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The Rusty Heat Shield Issue:

The heat shield on my INJEN CAI is rusting badly. Trying to find a new one but having a hard time doing so.

ALSO, when I get the new one, is there anything that I can spray on it (some sort of durable paint) that is heat resistant?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
If you really wanna go the extra mile, sand, apply rust inhibitor, wait some time, then rustoleum.