GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The “Greta” Build Thread - Economy Continues To Nosedive, Tune Project STILL On Hold

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
If you’re interested in Cobb AP EQT is the go to tuner for this platform.

The tunes that come loaded from Cobb aren’t good at all, and tuning a Subaru is a lot different than MQB so I’d probably skip the shop loyalty for this step. EQT & JB4 you just plug it in and select a file, so no need for a shop. APR can only be installed by licensed APR dealers.

You’re saying EQT handles the tunes from COBB, Then it‘s just plug and play from there?

This sounds like the way to go.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You’re saying EQT handles the tunes from COBB, Then it‘s just plug and play from there?

This sounds like the way to go.

Right, Cobb AP is just a loading tool and digital display. If you purchase it from EQT they do a package deal on the tune (or tunes) purchased from them as well, so all you do is load the tunes on the AP, then use it to load them on the car.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yup, get an AP3 and then buy an off the shelf tune from EQT for plug and play
Right, Cobb AP is just a loading tool and digital display. If you purchase it from EQT they do a package deal on the tune (or tunes) purchased from them as well, so all you do is load the tunes on the AP, then use it to load them on the car.

Thats the info I needed. Thanks guys, imma look into it!

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Eqt is the way to go. I had their stage 2 file and it's leagues better than unitronic, which I ran prior

So realistically, what would a stage one tune (all said and done) cost?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
175 without the AP. If you can find a used AP you could get away with spending less just buying the staged tune. Keep in mind the EQT tunes are also transferrable. Any 2015-18 GTI can use the same staged tune files. I got a used AP with an EQT stage 2 tune already on it. Saved plenty of money over buying it new.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
175 without the AP. If you can find a used AP you could get away with spending less just buying the staged tune. Keep in mind the EQT tunes are also transferrable. Any 2015-18 GTI can use the same staged tune files. I got a used AP with an EQT stage 2 tune already on it. Saved plenty of money over buying it new.

Thats a game changer, assuming I can find one. Sounds much simpler than going through the new process.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thats a game changer, assuming I can find one. Sounds much simpler than going through the new process.
I just realized you've got a DSG. That complicates thing just a little bit. The stuff about the engine is true and remains unchanged. However of you want a DSG tune you'll need to find an AP with DSG tuning unlocked, or you can buy a standard one and contact COBB to unlock DSG tuning on the AP. That alone is $400 for the unlock.

You could find an AP that has DSG tuning already unlocked (those tend to sell for more used) but keep in mind there is no rhyme or reason in the chances of a DSG tune working for your car. It has to do with your tran's specific TCU. You could get lucky and the used AP's TCU matches your own and you're good to go, or you might have to contact EQT just to get the DSG tune for your TCU.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I just realized you've got a DSG. That complicates thing just a little bit. The stuff about the engine is true and remains unchanged. However of you want a DSG tune you'll need to find an AP with DSG tuning unlocked, or you can buy a standard one and contact COBB to unlock DSG tuning on the AP. That alone is $400 for the unlock.

You could find an AP that has DSG tuning already unlocked (those tend to sell for more used) but keep in mind there is no rhyme or reason in the chances of a DSG tune working for your car. It has to do with your tran's specific TCU. You could get lucky and the used AP's TCU matches your own and you're good to go, or you might have to contact EQT just to get the DSG tune for your TCU.

Hang on there, I need acronym definitions!! :ROFLMAO:

But from what I can understand, I need to find a tuner/ CPU that has specifically what I own and then get DSG tech installed? Prob might just be easier to go new.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

But from what I can understand, I need to find a tuner/ CPU that has specifically what I own and then get DSG tech installed? Prob might just be easier to go new.

The easy drama free way is to buy new, one and done.

Buying used if it’s not “unmarried” from the previous car it’s a paperweight as getting it unlocked by Cobb will likely amount to more total than buying a brand new one in the first place.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The easy drama free way is to buy new, one and done.

Buying used if it’s not “unmarried” from the previous car it’s a paperweight as getting it unlocked by Cobb will likely amount to more total than buying a brand new one in the first place.

Thats what I figured.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

I can break it down.

Accessports are very similar but there are a few details to keep an eye out for. The Accessport you need for your car (MK7 GTI) is an AP3-VLK-002. The 003 is meant for the Golf R and S3.

Within the AP3-VLK-002 there are a few options. Just the AP (accessport) a new one will cost you $700 WITHOUT DSG tuning. You can buy a new one with DSG tuning for $1100. You can also buy an AP that wasn't meant for DSG and unlock DSG tuning for $400. DSG tuning is a software thing, it's simply them allowing the AP to communicate with the TCU. Mind you on top of all of this you will also need to purchase both the engine and transmission tunes from EQT. EQT charges $175 for a staged ECU (engine) tune and a separate $175 for a DSG (TCU) tune.

The TCU is the transmission control unit. Think of it as your transmission's ECU. The ECU tunes are transferable between any GTI from 2015-18. The changes in 19 onward mean it is a different file. The TCU tunes are locked to the TCU ID. This is where it gets tricky because there are multiple TCU ID out there and your ID needs to match the DSG tune file. There is a chance that you could get lucky and find an AP that has the staged tune you want and a TCU ID that matches your own. There is a more likely chance that you find a used AP with the staged tune you want and will need to just get a separate DSG tune.

In other words your options are:

New AP w/DSG + ECU tune + DSG Tune = 1,100 + 175 + 175 = 1,450 (assuming EQT doesn't do a bundle deal)
Used AP w/DSG that has staged engine tune & TCU ID matches = ~ 850 (based off what I've seen in the F/S section)
Used AP w/DSG that has staged engine tune & TCU ID doesn't match = ~ 850 + 175 = 1,025
Used Manual AP w staged engine tune + DSG unlock + TCU tune = ~ 500 + 400 + 175 = 1,075

and to @GTI Jake point always make sure a used AP is unmarried otherwise it is a brick. Divorce is messy even with AP's.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I can break it down.

Accessports are very similar but there are a few details to keep an eye out for. The Accessport you need for your car (MK7 GTI) is an AP3-VLK-002. The 003 is meant for the Golf R and S3.

Within the AP3-VLK-002 there are a few options. Just the AP (accessport) a new one will cost you $700 WITHOUT DSG tuning. You can buy a new one with DSG tuning for $1100. You can also buy an AP that wasn't meant for DSG and unlock DSG tuning for $400. DSG tuning is a software thing, it's simply them allowing the AP to communicate with the TCU. Mind you on top of all of this you will also need to purchase both the engine and transmission tunes from EQT. EQT charges $175 for a staged ECU (engine) tune and a separate $175 for a DSG (TCU) tune.

The TCU is the transmission control unit. Think of it as your transmission's ECU. The ECU tunes are transferable between any GTI from 2015-18. The changes in 19 onward mean it is a different file. The TCU tunes are locked to the TCU ID. This is where it gets tricky because there are multiple TCU ID out there and your ID needs to match the DSG tune file. There is a chance that you could get lucky and find an AP that has the staged tune you want and a TCU ID that matches your own. There is a more likely chance that you find a used AP with the staged tune you want and will need to just get a separate DSG tune.

In other words your options are:

New AP w/DSG + ECU tune + DSG Tune = 1,100 + 175 + 175 = 1,450 (assuming EQT doesn't do a bundle deal)
Used AP w/DSG that has staged engine tune & TCU ID matches = ~ 850 (based off what I've seen in the F/S section)
Used AP w/DSG that has staged engine tune & TCU ID doesn't match = ~ 850 + 175 = 1,025
Used Manual AP w staged engine tune + DSG unlock + TCU tune = ~ 500 + 400 + 175 = 1,075

and to @GTI Jake point always make sure a used AP is unmarried otherwise it is a brick. Divorce is messy even with AP's.

Ok, THIS is the breakdown I needed ^