GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

That Powerflex insert...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Not a great thing. I've had it now for around three months - meh. The vibration is uncomfortable, especially in reverse. I'm thinking of changing my idling rev a few hundred RPM's higher in VCDS to accommodate for it. The upside - meh. Again, not really great. Would I do it again, no. I have BFI mounts I've been sitting on for a few months. I'll install those in the spring and see what it all feels like, but most likely worse. I'll look to change the dogbone then as well - not really sure the direction to go in.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have the BFI Stage 2 insert and for what it's worth it is pretty comfortable. Reverse is definitely more aggressive, and didn't seem to "break in". Forward motion did however feel less harsh after 500 miles or so.

You mentioned raising idle revs using VCDS, do you (or anyone else) know if it's possible to do the same using OBD11? I've been wanting to do that myself.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Surprisingly I haven't noticed vibrations in reverse with the Powerflex hybrid as much I did with the BFI insert...maybe I've just gotten better at feathering the clutch

Maybe your stock mounts are trashed

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
BFI mounts and insert. The biggest thing I hear is clutch noises at idle, out of gear, for instance at a stop light. really quite annoying, and the jury is out on if it's worth the gain for me.

If you don't like the current insert, then why do you feel new mounts and full dogbone would be any better?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
BFI mounts and insert. The biggest thing I hear is clutch noises at idle, out of gear, for instance at a stop light. really quite annoying, and the jury is out on if it's worth the gain for me.

If you don't like the current insert, then why do you feel new mounts and full dogbone would be any better?
I don’t mind the excess vibration if i get something in return, I’m hoping with the mounts i will. I have a SMF, i think the noises that i get are going too be delightful.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't know how people get used to them. I took mine out after about a month. Its like I had a bass tube that was just on all the time. Whatever the gain was isn't worth the tradeoff in the significantly increased NVH. I drove a friend's car with the Neuspeed one...even that felt like a bunch of vibrations.

Asset_Get-Off-My-Lawn-300x200.png

mcbanan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2014 GTI MK7
What color insert do you have? They have three types, I have the softest one and it´s great. No vibration, and no wheel hop.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I think it really depends on people's tolerances, and transmission choice. I ran only the BFI Stage 1 dogbone insert on my mk4 w/ AT, and it was a considerable amount of NVH. My mk4 Jetta 5MT has BFI's stage 1 engine and trans mounts, and their stage 2 dogbone insert, and it really doesn't feel notably worse than my AT did.

With the powerflex hybrid on my mk7 6MT, it still feels like something's missing -- the vibration I'm now accustomed to isn't present, and there's definite slack in the drivetrain. Going to BFI stage 1 engine/trans mounts this winter, but I've also been involved with some pretty firm mounts over the years, typically >85a durometer, so my scale of what's acceptable is likely askew. I'm also getting older now, and find the exhaust on my daily to be a little excessive, where the CTS catback on the GTI sounds great -- normal speaking volume inside the car, with just a little 'boominess' to hint that it's not stock.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have the Powerflex yellow hybrid one, and don't notice any additional NVH outside of reverse. There's definitely some extra there, but other than that... 🤷‍♂️

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Yeah yellow hybrid here and my buddy said I was gonna hate it. Neither of us could tell a difference after install.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
@Daks said he has the insert...does he mean the hybrid puck or the actual bfi-type insert?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If he does have the hybrid then he should be banned for

1.created a new thread about a product that already has a large and active thread about it.

Or

2. Incorrectly referring to the hybrid puck as a “insert”, that’s the comparable offense to calling a is38 a big turbo upgrade

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I purchased BFI stage 1 engine mount and trans insert and will be ordering the powerflex hybrid puck shortly - so the mounting is taken care of.
If he does have the hybrid then he should be banned for

1.created a new thread about a product that already has a large and active thread about it.

Or

2. Incorrectly referring to the hybrid puck as a “insert”, that’s the comparable offense to calling a is38 a big turbo upgrade
Uh oh, answer carefully Daks!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I put in the diesel insert, the red one. It was pretty obvious it reduced some of the rocking the engine does when you give it gas and let off the gas, in between shifts, etc. There's no additional vibrations though. You'd never know I had one installed unless you were used to driving it before I put it in. Don't even have reverse vibrations.