GOLFMKV

Test Drove GTI Competitors

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
Test drove a 2009 Honda Civic Si 2 door
and a 2009 CObalt SS T/C 2dr

mind you i have never driven a GTI so i don't no how they would compare.

The Civic is a screamer. Sounds like a complete animal when i was in VTEEEEK. Pulls pretty hard too, but again there was no low end torque. The shift's were smooth, extremely short clutch travel. The tranny did feel a little more rough than the one in my Rabbit though.

The SS IS an complete animal. Inside was pretty shitty, the clutch had even less travel, and the transimission was shit. I had to force the shifter really hard to get into gear, was VERY tough. But my god was it fast. Had alot of low end torque. Also, iv never driven a TURBO'd car so it was interesting. In 5th on the highway going 100kmh flooring it, i could hear the turbo spooling and then pulling hard. Keep your hands on the wheel cuz there is alot of torque steer that will pull in any direction (this car needed alignment, steering was off with only 40KM on the car..)

All in all, Civic Si tamed beast thats quick, SS animal that is only for going FAST. Shitty interior, race car esque..

Next is a Speed3, WRX and of course GTI.

GG3P

Eurocars is a ***got
The speed3 is a very nice car, but that torque steer is a PITA. It was a major turn off for me, made me look into the speed6. Needless to say, thats the car I bought.

Last edited:

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
When I was shopping a couple of months ago, the Speed 3 was the best competitor to the GTI. Much faster, a better cornerer and braker than our GTI's. Better grin factor under acceleration, too. The build quality on the GTI was noticeably better though, and complaints of rust and blown engines scared me away from the 3 in the end. Add the GTI's DSG transmission, and it was an easy choice to make.

Good luck with your purchase, whatever you go for!

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
Test drove a 2009 Honda Civic Si 2 door
and a 2009 CObalt SS T/C 2dr

mind you i have never driven a GTI so i don't no how they would compare.

The Civic is a screamer. Sounds like a complete animal when i was in VTEEEEK. Pulls pretty hard too, but again there was no low end torque. The shift's were smooth, extremely short clutch travel. The tranny did feel a little more rough than the one in my Rabbit though.

The SS IS an complete animal. Inside was pretty shitty, the clutch had even less travel, and the transimission was shit. I had to force the shifter really hard to get into gear, was VERY tough. But my god was it fast. Had alot of low end torque. Also, iv never driven a TURBO'd car so it was interesting. In 5th on the highway going 100kmh flooring it, i could hear the turbo spooling and then pulling hard. Keep your hands on the wheel cuz there is alot of torque steer that will pull in any direction (this car needed alignment, steering was off with only 40KM on the car..)

All in all, Civic Si tamed beast thats quick, SS animal that is only for going FAST. Shitty interior, race car esque..

Next is a Speed3, WRX and of course GTI.

If you test drive a MY09 wrx it will blow everything out of the water...except for the interior.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
If you test drive a MY09 wrx it will blow everything out of the water...except for the interior.

X2 They really made a superior vehicle. All around (minus interior but it's whatever).

utekineir

Banned
Motortrend, car and driver , etc all have a hard on for the gti.

Which would be why they keep on rehashing it in the same article with a different title every other month.

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
It's a good car, the GTI. The most solid competitor, does everything well, nothing excellent. The MS3 is faster, the Cobalt SS handles better, but the GTI has the best interior and is the most balanced out of all of them, hence why it wins so dang much!