GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test Drive Nightmare

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
CSB: Years ago I smashed up one of those rental gas powered go-karts. They tried to make me pay for it. One of the ways they made more $ was you had to buy a drivers liscense. I showed them my picture where I was falling over drunk/stoned and said "you should never had let me drive"

:LOL:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Manual was a lease return 19?

That right there is a red flag.

The previous owner probably roasted the clutch with a tune or piggyback and couldn't afford to further pay to play. Probably ate the lease termination and dumped the car since you can roll those fees forward into the next note.

As far as doing further business with these people that would be a hard pass for me. These cars aren't rare and this is turning into a buyer's market.

Last edited:

jits

He has built the cost of the clutch into the new deal for the new car. But now I'm back home, have calmed down, and have a clearer head (after a beer!) I'm fuming about the whole thing.

I was hoping to see this, that you took a step back to breathe and recollect. My gut feeling is the clutch was on its way going out from the previous owner. That this guy even maintained the idea that you would pay for the clutch (even in the unlikely circumstance you caused the clutch to go out). No. I would tell them to go extort someone else. And I would look for someone else to work with at the auto group, or just go take your business elsewhere.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's a 19. Probably had the stalling problem and the previous owner burned it up trying to keep it from stalling.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
To an employee of the same company though?! Seems like a great way to get HR involved. I work for Head Office of the Auto Group that owns the dealership. Not some average Joe off the street (I don't mean to sound arrogant with that, but I already got an employee perk by getting the car at cost). It's made more akward by the fact I only started my job last week. I'm worried fighting this will get me fired.

If it were me, ESPECIALLY in this case - do you want to work for someone that would do this to any customer, let alone an employee? Let them fire you over this, then lawyer up. Hell I would have already quit and be looking for another job - but the current situation we all find ourselves in might not make that such a great idea. Nonetheless, I wouldn't let them walk all over me, which is what they're trying to do to you.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Wow, just wow. They owned the car, their employee was supervising a test drive in it and something failed on the car. Now they are blaming YOU? SMH.

cb1111

The thing that nobody pointed out that the OP is an inconsiderate, arrogant maroon for test driving a car today.

Unless the OP has been living under a rock, he should know to be exercising social distancing and delaying all non-essential interaction with people.

He may feel fine, his girlfriend may feel fine, the salesman may feel fine, the sales manager may feel fine, but if any one was sick (and didn't know it) then they could have infected the others that then go to infect others.

Today, there is no guarantee that anyone in North America is free of COVID-19 and the health care systems in Canada are far easier to overwhelm that the system in the US - and anyone with even half a brain can see where the US system is heading.

If people wait to self quaratine until they are forced to do so, then it is too late.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
not sure if serious or troll

??

Why would someone be a troll over a situation that makes him look silly. When they told him that he owed for the damage I would have laughed and walked away. But I guess you never know these days. He wasn't even the driver when the clutch went out. It's a 19 and it probably had the stalling problem and the original owner probably burned up the clutch trying to keep it from stalling.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Why would someone be a troll over a situation that makes him look silly. When they told him that he owed for the damage I would have laughed and walked away. But I guess you never know these days. He wasn't even the driver when the clutch went out. It's a 19 and it probably had the stalling problem and the original owner probably burned up the clutch trying to keep it from stalling.

bc it sounds absurd to continue the deal or talk numbers after that, let alone get a price that incorporates the repair. As soon as they told me that I would have got up, told them to blow me and walk out.

Very good point about the clutch going out when the salesman was driving and not the other dude. Any lawyer would eat this up. How can they prove who blew it. It's know what you know, it's what you can prove in court.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I hate dealers and this is why. They’re always scheming of ways to get your money. There is no way you are liable for the damage to the clutch. As others have said if the salesman was worried he should’ve stopped you from driving. why should you owe anything for a car you don’t own? Fight this!!!