GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test Drive Nightmare

adad1745

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and sorry it has to be so negative. Go easy on me!

I've wanted a VW Golf GTI for the longest time. I recently found one - a used 2019 with one previous owner (ex-lease). I also just started working for an Auto Group (of which this dealership is a part) and my manager managed to get me the car below cost - which is awesome. The only problem? It's a manual, and the last time I drove one was 11 years ago. But being a car fanatic, the purist in me really wanted one, to re-learn, and enjoy the thrills of driving stick.

I went to the dealership today to test drive the car. Met the sales guy, and he treated me great (being a colleague). I made it very clear how nervous and inexperienced I was driving stick, but he still let me in to the car, reasssuring me that it's forgiving and an easy-going car to drive manually. I drove for about 45 minutes, during which time I stalled a bunch, and let the clutch burn a bit. I offered multiple times to get out and switch but he told me to keep going, that I'd have to abuse the car for a week for the clutch to go out. I asked him multiple times if my novice manual driving was hurting the car, to which he said no. My girlfriend in the rear of the car can attest to this. Anyway, after 45 minutes, I got him to swtich with me as the test-drive had developed into more of a driving lesson, and we switched so he could drive us back to the dealership. Just as he was about to pull onto the freeway, the whole clutch gave out. We had to get towed back to the dealership.

Once back there, we took a couple of DSG models out for a drive which was obviously way better. After those, we went back to hash out some finances. At that point, I was told that the whole clutch needs repairing - a total of around $4,700. But, because I'm an employee of the larger company, I only had to pay $2,500. I was astounded. Firstly, because of how much it is - nearly $5,000 for a clutch on a practically new GTI? But also because that 45 minutes of driving apparently wrecked what is a basically brand new clutch? Something seems very off to me.

We did a deal for a newer car, had that built, and I think he worked the cost of that clutch in to it. But I'm left feeling very sour. I think something is really fishy here, and I'm not even sure if 1) I caused ENOUGH consistent damage to that clutch in the short timeframe to be WHOLLY responsible for breaking it and 2) if such an issue is enforceable.

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thank you guys so much.

P.S. No "well you should never have driven it if you weren't confident enough" - I can drive stick, I just needed to retaught. For some reasons- despite driving my friends older manual car for practice a couple of days earlier and without any issue - this clutch (even on a newer car) was proving to be impossible. Also, at multiple times I was upfront about my inexperience, and the sales guy still let me. On the test-drive, after seeing me struggle, he urged me to keep going, even as far as to say how hardy the clutch was, how it was no problem, how it "can take it". He could have asked me to stop if he thought the condition of the car was in jeopardy.

adad1745

That's ridiculous. Tell them you aren't paying for something that failed during a test drive, and if they don't like it, they can take you to small claims court. 100% you'd win.
Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you, although they'll say my driving it (riding the clutch, burning it, etc) caused it to fail. It's made even more awkward that I'm an employee of the larger company, and I'm one week into a new job with them...

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Something failed on a used car during test drive and they want you to pay for it...NO. Should have just walked away, I doubt few stalls could ruin a clutch...most likely it was on the way out anyway.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just curious, how are you not sure that he built the cost of the clutch into the car you ordered?

And like everyone has said already, you have no liability for mechanical failure on a test drive. If you had crashed the car, that would be different.

adad1745

Something failed on a used car during test drive and they want you to pay for it...NO. Should have just walked away, I doubt few stalls could ruin a clutch...most likely it was on the way out anyway.
Well, it was a smoking deal. 3900 kms on it and quoted to me below cost (not including taxes - here in Canada) because I'm an employee. I'm thinking perhaps the clutch was f****d to begin with - was probably abused during its previous owner with the lease. Which is why it was handed back, perhaps they couldn't drive manual and didn't want to do so anymore. It just happened to go bang a couple of minutes after I'd been driving it - and lets not kid ourselves- I wasn't even the one in the drivers seat when it gave out.

adad1745

Just curious, how are you not sure that he built the cost of the clutch into the car you ordered?

And like everyone has said already, you have no liability for mechanical failure on a test drive. If you had crashed the car, that would be different.
He has built the cost of the clutch into the new deal for the new car. But now I'm back home, have calmed down, and have a clearer head (after a beer!) I'm fuming about the whole thing.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Judge Judy would crucify these a-holes in about 3 minutes, it would be glorious.

Don't stand for this. As others have suggested, the clutch was probably already hosed, perhaps even KNOWINGLY already hosed, when they tried to hook you up with this "great deal". This is shady business of the highest (lowest?) order.

adad1745

Judge Judy would crucify these a-holes in about 3 minutes, it would be glorious.

Don't stand for this. As others have suggested, the clutch was probably already hosed, perhaps even KNOWINGLY already hosed, when they tried to hook you up with this "great deal". This is shady business of the highest (lowest?) order.
To an employee of the same company though?! Seems like a great way to get HR involved. I work for Head Office of the Auto Group that owns the dealership. Not some average Joe off the street (I don't mean to sound arrogant with that, but I already got an employee perk by getting the car at cost). It's made more akward by the fact I only started my job last week. I'm worried fighting this will get me fired.

adad1745

I should also point out that: is a GTI clutch really nearly $5,000?! And this is a legit manufactuer dealership and not some shady back alley used car place. This is a VW "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle, from a VW dealership.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I should also point out that: is a GTI clutch really nearly $5,000?! And this is a legit manufactuer dealership and not some shady back alley used car place. This is a VW "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle, from a VW dealership.
No way clutch job is $5k.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Absolutely not. You had a salesman in the car with you. If your driving was so terrible that it was going to ruin the car, he should have insisted on taking over driving. The failure is probably from the previous test drives and employees romping on the car, you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Find another dealer ASAP and do not give this place a dime.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
So they want you to pay for the clutch regardless of if you buy car or not? No way! If they want to sell the car and adjust the price to recoup the cost of clutch that is their business and you can decide if you want to buy it at whatever price they come up with but you don't owe them the cost of a clutch.

keep us updated

Mud