GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Terrible HID projection

Lisia53

Hey Guys, I purchased a pair of the ED’s MK7 GTI HID Headlights a while ago from becautoparts and they are holding up great. My question is I just purchased a new Morimoto Elite H7 kit for my GTI and had them installed today at a 3rd party place. I am getting these laser line like projecitons from my headlights that never happened before, makes it brutal driving..I wonder if you knew if its an alignment issue or any fixes? I used to use this kit And never had issues. I’ve attached an image thank guys.

Attachments

• 7790B4DD-DCB2-42C1-8F9A-83288B2C2C9D.jpeg
    7790B4DD-DCB2-42C1-8F9A-83288B2C2C9D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 357

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Could be incorrectly fitted bulbs as mentioned above, but it looks to be the same both sides, maybe take a photo of the beam shining on a wall/fence, it would be interesting to see the beam pattern.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Agreed, the bulb is not installed correctly. I have the exact same kit. Should be nice flat line with one hitch in the middle.

Lisia53

Thanks guys, got it aligned properly as it wasn’t seated in the housing correctly like you said. Annnnnnnd then the passenger headlight no longer works... I’m so done with HID hahaha I wish LED fit in ED’s Replica headlight housings

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Thanks guys, got it aligned properly as it wasn’t seated in the housing correctly like you said. Annnnnnnd then the passenger headlight no longer works... I’m so done with HID hahaha I wish LED fit in ED’s Replica headlight housings

Is it due to the ballasts? I went with the Hylux kit because I read a lot of people are having issues with Morimotos.

I also wish we could get some LEDs to fit in the Ed's housings, but the pickings are very slim.

Lisia53

Is it due to the ballasts? I went with the Hylux kit because I read a lot of people are having issues with Morimotos.

I also wish we could get some LEDs to fit in the Ed's housings, but the pickings are very slim.
Wasn’t the ballast, the third party installer didn’t twist the retainer clip into the housing completed and they were not aligned properly, VW fixed it in like 10 mins.. slim pickings for LED for our headlight housing replicas?? What are some that you know will
Fit? I’m desperate haha

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Wasn’t the ballast, the third party installer didn’t twist the retainer clip into the housing completed and they were not aligned properly, VW fixed it in like 10 mins.. slim pickings for LED for our headlight housing replicas?? What are some that you know will
Fit? I’m desperate haha

Sorry, I was asking if the passenger headlight is not working due to the ballast.

I am not sure of any that will work 100%, but I was looking at this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32985209548.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.7a542e0evATKeb
since it says it's projector specific. However, I don't know if the tip will fit in the projector bowl in the headlight, or if you will need extended dust caps to fit them.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Sorry, I was asking if the passenger headlight is not working due to the ballast.

I am not sure of any that will work 100%, but I was looking at this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32985209548.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.7a542e0evATKeb
since it says it's projector specific. However, I don't know if the tip will fit in the projector bowl in the headlight, or if you will need extended dust caps to fit them.

I believe DeAutoLED makes LED bulbs for projector housings (here). I've been looking at them because I'm completely done with my Morimoto kit too. Have triple checked installation and one side fails to ignite like 1/3rd of the time. Looking to replace asap.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I believe DeAutoLED makes LED bulbs for projector housings (here). I've been looking at them because I'm completely done with my Morimoto kit too. Have triple checked installation and one side fails to ignite like 1/3rd of the time. Looking to replace asap.

Those are only H series bases, but the Ed's reps have D2 bases, so those wouldn't fit into the low beam projectors. They would probably work in the high beam projector if the heat sink isn't too big (I don't know why they don't just include a picture of the bulb on the site).

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Those are only H series bases, but the Ed's reps have D2 bases, so those wouldn't fit into the low beam projectors. They would probably work in the high beam projector if the heat sink isn't too big (I don't know why they don't just include a picture of the bulb on the site).

Ed's Mk7 Golf R reps take either H7 or D2H in the main beam. Also FYI the low beam is also a high beam, as it's an active shutter system. That said there is also a secondary high beam projector in these.

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Ed's Mk7 Golf R reps take either H7 or D2H in the main beam. Also FYI the low beam is also a high beam, as it's an active shutter system. That said there is also a secondary high beam projector in these.

Wait, really? I tried putting an H7 bulb into the low beam and it wouldn't fit?

I wish I could take a look at the actual light Deautoled sells to see if that would fit.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like the MK7 reps are D2H/H7 and have the high and low beam in one bulb, whereas the MK7.5 reps are D2H only and have separate high/low beams.

Last edited:

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Ed claims H7 may fit but I call BS. I had a H7 LED and it wouldn’t fit in the low beam. Play it safe and get D2H. Btw, a LED bulb will most likely require modifying the dust cap as their base are usually larger. May also run into issues on the driver side because there is less room behind the headlight.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I broke today. One side of Morimoto kit failed to ignite 4 out of 5 tries (by tries I mean turning all power off, then back to position 2, then fully off, etc. That's what I've found works best if they dont immediately ignite). Ordered DeAuto's D2H kit. $114 shipped with their current discount. Will review once I install them.