GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Techie computer question

langer

i fix teefs
I think I have bad ram on a laptop. I ran at least 12 passes with memtest and I kept getting the same error in the memory. From what I've found online, the ram is soldered to the board. Can the ram be swapped or am I looking at a whole new mb/laptop? Asus zenbook ux31 series. I was having rampant bsod memory management crashes before I decided to check the ram.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I think I have bad ram on a laptop. I ran at least 12 passes with memtest and I kept getting the same error in the memory. From what I've found online, the ram is soldered to the board. Can the ram be swapped or am I looking at a whole new mb/laptop? Asus zenbook ux31 series. I was having rampant bsod memory management crashes before I decided to check the ram.

Yes ram is soldered to motherboard on this unit if I recall. It was one of the first ultra lightweight units and part of making it thin included no sockets, just wire it direct. You will probably have to send in for motherboard repair/exchange. The next iteration 32 had removable memory for exactly the issues you are having. Bummer.

iliftthings

Ready to race!
Needs a new board, if you can find one and if it's cheap, which it won't be. Call ASUS and ask them how much the repair would be. SOME models come with a 2 Year accidental plan, so call them up, give them the serial number and they'll tell you.

I know a guy who could swap that chip in about 30 seconds.

But he earns a good living rebuilding prototypes for a chip design company.

It CAN be repaired. the question is finding someone with surface mount rework skills willing to do it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Needs a new board, if you can find one and if it's cheap, which it won't be. Call ASUS and ask them how much the repair would be. SOME models come with a 2 Year accidental plan, so call them up, give them the serial number and they'll tell you.

This model has a 2 year warranty and 1 year accidental. If it is under warranty this would be covered.

working used boards seem to start at $160 on ebay.

good luck.

Jet08

Ready to race!
May be a dumb question but you did run memtest outside of the Windows environment not just at the command prompt, ie dos boot disk?