GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI or GTD for my use?

Saund123

Car(s)
focus
Hi all.

I am soon to be commuting around 20k a year 90% of which will be on motorway/A roads. I'd like a golf mainly for the ACC. I can get a 2/3 year old TDI for around 17/18k or a GTD of similar age for 2/3k more. Would it be worth paying the extra for the GTD? Thanks

cb1111

Hi all.

I am soon to be commuting around 20k a year 90% of which will be on motorway/A roads. I'd like a golf mainly for the ACC. I can get a 2/3 year old TDI for around 17/18k or a GTD of similar age for 2/3k more. Would it be worth paying the extra for the GTD? Thanks
Depends on one thing - will you take advantage of the extra sportiness and features of the GTD? You need to sit in both and see which seats you like better - hopefully side by side. You'll be spending lots of time in the seat, so that is vital.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Get the GTD, if you only had the TDI you would only regret not having one every time you saw one

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Diesels are getting hit hard in road tax in UK....

Say a Mk7.5 GTD Euro 6 DSG, registered before 1st April 2017 at 129CO2/g/Km....£130 per year UK road tax....would be £220/yr if registered after 1st April 2017...

You have to watch the registration dates & Euro version & various other "test" standards..plus many cities will not allow Euro5 diesels into their clear air zones...

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yes, IMHO diesels are being demonised in the UK. @golfdave - I think it’s an odds-on certainty that we’ll see more clean air zones in the UK and over time; I’d also expect the entry criteria for driving in a clean air zone to become more restrictive, along with higher entry charges applying.

@Saund123, if your driving does require you to drive into clean air zones, in your position it would probably be worth spending some time researching other possible alternatives - whatever they may be - that might be more future proof than a diesel. If a diesel is the only option, then of the two you are considering, I’d go for the GTD.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
I enjoyed owning the GTD, great car all round.
Would suggest trying out both if you get the chance as the ride on the GTD is quite harsh.
J

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
With an official range of 144 miles on a full charge, a mk7.5 e-Golf may not a viable option currently in the UK for someone driving circa 20k miles per year.

Currently, the infrastructure to support electric charging in the UK is patchy. So if the OP‘s journey exceeded the battery range and it was necessary to charge the battery mid-journey that might not work for them, especially if they needed to be at their destination at a specific time, taking into account the possibility of there not be an EV charging station en route, and the length of time needed to re-charge the battery.

Saund123

Car(s)
focus
Thanks- yes I wouldn't be able to charge the car at work so its looking like a GTD is the best bet. Is there any major differences between the 2015(needs to be ULEZ complaint ) and the last mk7 apart from things like lights and the screen?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks- yes I wouldn't be able to charge the car at work so its looking like a GTD is the best bet. Is there any major differences between the 2015(needs to be ULEZ complaint ) and the last mk7 apart from things like lights and the screen?

Diesel have to be Euro 6
Petrol Euro 4

Cars - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)

Looking at the December 2013 brochure for the Mk7..the GTD was Euro 6...but all the other diesels were Euro 5...

Feb 2016 brochure all the diesels were Euro 6...

So you will be ok for ULEZ compliance....