GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tapping

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Then I guess the question now is if that's a good thing or a bad thing? Was whatever was causing the noise harmful? How does the treatment stop the noise? And is there any negative side effects. There are all kinds of additives for cars and some may do what they claim, but aren't exactly good for your car. i.e. additives to make your car stop smoking or stop a leak, etc....

Is it stopping the tapping because less friction, more friction, etc...

It's stopping because the Cerma engine treatment coats parts. Less friction. I used in in my 16 Veloster Turbo with FBO and custom dyno tune and traded that car in with 170.000 miles and still running great on my 18 SE which i also treated. I believe that there's three other guys in this forum who used it and reported less noise (tapping). Had several friends use it and they all were happy. No side effects or long term effects other than quieting the tapping.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How do you know it reduces friction? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I don't necessarily trust any additive company, period. Is there independent testing, other than it made my car quieter anecdotal evidence?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I wish they included some of the raw data used in verification. I'm not doubting Canada's testing, but a 2.1% increase is significant and I can't imagine manufactures, that are spending billions to increase gas mileage by less than that, wouldn't be specifying something like this in their engines to meet mileage standards.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wish they included some of the raw data used in verification. I'm not doubting Canada's testing, but a 2.1% increase is significant and I can't imagine manufactures, that are spending billions to increase gas mileage by less than that, wouldn't be specifying something like this in their engines to meet mileage standards.

I agree. I didn't buy it for the potential MPG increase though. Just the friction coating of parts which eliminates the tapping sound.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
My buddy and I decided he should come by before the weather gets too much warmer in the mornings so that we don’t have to put off until colder mornings again in our area. Really, we just wanted to see another human, besides our SOs, so we got the “after” recording today. We were within 2º ambient temp and .05 barometric pressure. Humidity was higher though my friend states it should only make a negligible difference.

He said he will do the audio analysis “In my downtime when I’m blowing off work in the evenings.” and we will see what the PhD has to say out it from an audio analysis standpoint. Stay tuned!

A6482524-0217-4914-9DA3-C802C882D8F9.jpeg

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
Has anyone else that's done the Cerma treatment noticed there oil gets up to temperature much faster? Mine will get to 200 just idling in my driveway within a few minutes now.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone else that's done the Cerma treatment noticed there oil gets up to temperature much faster? Mine will get to 200 just idling in my driveway within a few minutes now.

With Cerma engine treatment in mine the oil temperature still doesn't register a just a few minutes. Talking about a cold start obviously.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
Just read through this entire thread and now I'm interested. @ReadTheBook Did your friend ever finish the audio analysis?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Unless you have a clear issue you're wasting your time chasing these noises.