GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tapping

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Okay, update... I had my buddy record a cold start from startup to the point where the RPMs dropped to standard idle on Sunday morning. I also did a few revs which I will try my best to match with length and RPM.

I did the Cerma treatment in my car this morning. I did 2500 RPM idle for a few minutes then immediately drove 60 miles. I did about 45 highway miles and the rest was varied driving on back roads partially into the Santa Cruz Mountains, so a bit of uphill and a bit of aggressive downhill. We plan to re-record again this Saturday or Sunday. Ambient temperature and time of day should be the same. We have pretty ridiculously steady weather around here this time of year.

I won't be driving a whole lot more this week just because my company has us all working from home here in Silicon Valley.

I do I want to say that I noticed it is quieter, but I will wait for the science to tell us if it actually is or not!
I will post a new thread outlining the findings with photos/recordings etc.

I'm going to toss it into my wife's 2015 TSI tomorrow morning and do the same ride in that too.

Edit: Sneak peek...

IMG_0313 copy.jpeg

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Okay, update... I had my buddy record a cold start from startup to the point where the RPMs dropped to standard idle on Sunday morning. I also did a few revs which I will try my best to match with length and RPM.

I did the Cerma treatment in my car this morning. I did 2500 RPM idle for a few minutes then immediately drove 60 miles. I did about 45 highway miles and the rest was varied driving on back roads partially into the Santa Cruz Mountains, so a bit of uphill and a bit of aggressive downhill. We plan to re-record again this Saturday or Sunday. Ambient temperature and time of day should be the same. We have pretty ridiculously steady weather around here this time of year.

I won't be driving a whole lot more this week just because my company has us all working from home here in Silicon Valley.

I do I want to say that I noticed it is quieter, but I will wait for the science to tell us if it actually is or not!

I'm going to toss it into my wife's 2015 TSI tomorrow morning and do the same ride in that too.

View attachment 167502

Thanks for the update and I'm looking forward to the results.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

View attachment 167502

Those scientific results come out yet?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nope... we are on statewide lockdown and you should be too.

Postponed until further notice. Take this pandemic seriously. Based on doubling rate mathematics and the US Govt’s failure to test, we already very likely have 2m people infected in the US.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hell-coming-mathematical-proof-185019616.html

Not saying that the information in that link won't come true but the author was completely speculative and irresponsible in saying that currently there are two million people in the US infected with Covid-19. That was speculation. As of today there are a little over 7000 people infected in the US. It will probably explode in numbers in the next few weeks as testing becomes more readily available. Whether it will reach two million as he said is yet to be determined. Currently there aren't even two million people infected worldwide.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Not saying that the information in that link won't come true but the author was completely speculative and irresponsible in saying that currently there are two million people in the US infected with Covid-19. That was speculation. As of today there are a little over 7000 people infected in the US. It will probably explode in numbers in the next few weeks as testing becomes more readily available. Whether it will reach two million as he said is yet to be determined. Currently there aren't even two million people infected worldwide.

Jim, The US hasn’t been testing and we rejected tests from elsewhere from the getgo because the Govt and CDC decided to “make our own” and decided to do that far, far, too late.

That 7k number is pure bullshit. I know multiple people here in the Bay Area with great insurance, lots of resources, and all the symptoms etc and still can’t get tested.

My wife’s boss is one of them and his wife is a tenured doctor at Stanford Medical Center. My neighbor works for Kaiser, same deal, can’t get tested.

We were an early area to have any confirmed cases and I’m seeing and hearing about it first hand.

Additonally, and this is the super fucked up part IMO, upper crust folks are getting tests imported or otherwise set aside for them. We see it with celebrities and my first hand knowledge on this point is:
One of my best friends is a guy who runs a company and all they do is ship camp baggage for the ultra rich to summer camps all over the north east for their kids because they can’t be bothered to handle their own bags. He’s been in touch with every camp he services, none of them have ever shut down for anything in well over 100 years. These are the “big money” people we are talking about here. The Hamptons crowd. He services a family who lives full time in a high end well known hotel in NYC... VP of MTV is also one of his clients.
Each director of each camp has enough tests for every staff member and camper for this summer. One of them stated he could easily supply my friend and his entire crew with tests without pause. It’s frankly sickening.

The “Leadership” In this country is failing, big time. Have you watched any of those pressers? Horrid displays of incompetence.

Lastly if you believe the numbers from China and Russia (where just today Russian doctors are saying the govt is covering it up), I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Time will tell if the math is incorrect, but nonetheless these things are actively happening. I’ve already been on lock for two weeks in our house with my wife and kid, they closed his daycare and we both work for the same tech company who sent us home March 6, I’ve got no reason to make shit up here.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Nope... we are on statewide lockdown and you should be too.

Postponed until further notice. Take this pandemic seriously. Based on doubling rate mathematics and the US Govt’s failure to test, we already very likely have 2m people infected in the US.

Since you already did the treatment, and based on the photo you posted, it looked like the recordings were done. I assumed the actual data collection was completed, so I'm not sure how that applies to anything here

I just figured since it looked like videos/sound clips were already recorded, a statewide lockdown while you're shut in the house would be a perfect time to compile the data, do an analysis, and release the results. No human interaction necessary :)

Off topic, but I agree numbers are way lower than reported due to the lack of testing. John Hopkins is reporting almost 20,000 cases confirmed for the US, and you have state governments (at least here in RI) telling people if you're sick that you don't need to get tested, just to stay home, rest, and drink fluids.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Since you already did the treatment, and based on the photo you posted, it looked like the recordings were done. I assumed the actual data collection was completed, so I'm not sure how that applies to anything here

I just figured since it looked like videos/sound clips were already recorded, a statewide lockdown while you're shut in the house would be a perfect time to compile the data, do an analysis, and release the results. No human interaction necessary :)

Off topic, but I agree numbers are way lower than reported due to the lack of testing. John Hopkins is reporting almost 20,000 cases confirmed for the US, and you have state governments (at least here in RI) telling people if you're sick that you don't need to get tested, just to stay home, rest, and drink fluids.
We did only the “before” recordings. Then I drove the car.
My buddy was supposed to come back the following weekend and do the “after” recording. That didn’t happen.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Jim, The US hasn’t been testing and we rejected tests from elsewhere from the getgo because the Govt and CDC decided to “make our own” and decided to do that far, far, too late.

That 7k number is pure bullshit. I know multiple people here in the Bay Area with great insurance, lots of resources, and all the symptoms etc and still can’t get tested.

My wife’s boss is one of them and his wife is a tenured doctor at Stanford Medical Center. My neighbor works for Kaiser, same deal, can’t get tested.

We were an early area to have any confirmed cases and I’m seeing and hearing about it first hand.

Additonally, and this is the super fucked up part IMO, upper crust folks are getting tests imported or otherwise set aside for them. We see it with celebrities and my first hand knowledge on this point is:
One of my best friends is a guy who runs a company and all they do is ship camp baggage for the ultra rich to summer camps all over the north east for their kids because they can’t be bothered to handle their own bags. He’s been in touch with every camp he services, none of them have ever shut down for anything in well over 100 years. These are the “big money” people we are talking about here. The Hamptons crowd. He services a family who lives full time in a high end well known hotel in NYC... VP of MTV is also one of his clients.
Each director of each camp has enough tests for every staff member and camper for this summer. One of them stated he could easily supply my friend and his entire crew with tests without pause. It’s frankly sickening.

The “Leadership” In this country is failing, big time. Have you watched any of those pressers? Horrid displays of incompetence.

Lastly if you believe the numbers from China and Russia (where just today Russian doctors are saying the govt is covering it up), I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Time will tell if the math is incorrect, but nonetheless these things are actively happening. I’ve already been on lock for two weeks in our house with my wife and kid, they closed his daycare and we both work for the same tech company who sent us home March 6, I’ve got no reason to make shit up here.

This x1000. New York's deaths are now doubling everyday. We did less than Italy to contain the spread, though we have less pop density, percentage of smokers, and 5 year lower average age, but it's still going to get ugly. Just wait till it hits our prison and detention system.

But back on topic, did the treatment stop the knock and is that actually a good thing?

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I definitely agree that time will tell. The next two to four weeks will be interesting since most of the country has implemented lockdowns etc. I'm in the highest risk group so I'm particularly concerned. I deliver pharmacy to hospice patients in facilities, group homes and private residences. No longer getting signatures for the deliveries and most of the facilities that I deliver to come outdoors to get the delivery. Others I'm allowed to come in to the reception area where I get my temperature taken and fill out a questionnaire and they send someone there to take the delivery.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I definitely agree that time will tell. The next two to four weeks will be interesting since most of the country has implemented lockdowns etc. I'm in the highest risk group so I'm particularly concerned. I deliver pharmacy to hospice patients in facilities, group homes and private residences. No longer getting signatures for the deliveries and most of the facilities that I deliver to come outdoors to get the delivery. Others I'm allowed to come in to the reception area where I get my temperature taken and fill out a questionnaire and they send someone there to take the delivery.

Latest I heard as of last night is only about 1/3 of the people in the US are under lockdowns. It's not enough and many people simply choose to ignore it. Speaking to friends in SC, FL, MS, MO, GA, in the last few days it's like nothing is happening there.

Need to halt air travel other than for critical needs as well. I live in the flight path of San Jose Airport and it sure seems like business as usual there. Whether or not planes are filled or not is another issue entirely. Many localities are doing what they can but overall the federal government's response has been abysmal and full of outright lies. It's truly sad to see. These folks had NSC briefings on this stuff in December and January and consciously chose to ignore it.

Sounds like you have a really crucial job and are in a risk group (I am as well though not necessarily due to age). Be safe out there, best to you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Latest I heard as of last night is only about 1/3 of the people in the US are under lockdowns. It's not enough and many people simply choose to ignore it. Speaking to friends in SC, FL, MS, MO, GA, in the last few days it's like nothing is happening there.

Need to halt air travel other than for critical needs as well. I live in the flight path of San Jose Airport and it sure seems like business as usual there. Whether or not planes are filled or not is another issue entirely. Many localities are doing what they can but overall the federal government's response has been abysmal and full of outright lies. It's truly sad to see. These folks had NSC briefings on this stuff in December and January and consciously chose to ignore it.

Sounds like you have a really crucial job and are in a risk group (I am as well though not necessarily due to age). Be safe out there, best to you.

Thanks and the same to you and everybody.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So did the tapping go away?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
In a previous post he said that it did but he wanted to get the recording so we could hear the difference.

Then I guess the question now is if that's a good thing or a bad thing? Was whatever was causing the noise harmful? How does the treatment stop the noise? And is there any negative side effects. There are all kinds of additives for cars and some may do what they claim, but aren't exactly good for your car. i.e. additives to make your car stop smoking or stop a leak, etc....

Is it stopping the tapping because less friction, more friction, etc...