GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tapping

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh I never thought you had any financial interest or anything, I'm just always skeptical of "engine treatments" because of all the back and forth about them and what they can/can't do in every automotive forum I've been on in the last 2 decades.

Thanks for the pointers on when to add and how far to drive. That's going to mean an early sat/sun morning here in the Bay Area if I want to be able to drive that kind of distance at highway speed unrestricted. I'll probably drive up to SF and back from where I live, or maybe over the mountain to see @Hammersticks. I just did an oil change last weekend along with DSG flush so maybe I'll put in an order and get it in asap so I have it in the motor for the next 5-6 months.

$87.75 shipped to me... If I do it, I will definitely post a video as I said. Not sure I will though. Can't really find anything that is a positive review beyond what you're saying here and the FakeSpot review score is an F... At least CeraTec has a C review score hahaha.

I don't know what the FakeSpot review is. I'll PM you and I'll buy a bottle for you if you promise to refund me if the "tapping" sound is gone. I've talked about this product in a few other threads where additives or engine tapping was talked about and I'm so sure it will work I just want someone to use it and post about it. The very first day I got my GTI I didn't notice the sound until I got out of the car with the engine running when I stopped at the cluster mailboxes where I live and heard the same sound you do and immediately ordered the treatment. Cerma recommends adding it after you reach 30,000 miles but I didn't wait and the sound was immediately gone.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you notice the turbo treatment doing anything (they make some pretty hefty claims, smoother and faster spool), or was it strictly a health and preventative maintenance thing?

I posted a response to the OP at the same time you posted that so see that post. I didn't notice any difference in spool etc because I added the product when I had 50 miles on the car.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I don't know what the FakeSpot review is. I'll PM you and I'll buy a bottle for you if you promise to refund me if the "tapping" sound is gone. I've talked about this product in a few other threads where additives or engine tapping was talked about and I'm so sure it will work I just want someone to use it and post about it. The very first day I got my GTI I didn't notice the sound until I got out of the car with the engine running when I stopped at the cluster mailboxes where I live and heard the same sound you do and immediately ordered the treatment. Cerma recommends adding it after you reach 30,000 miles but I didn't wait and the sound was immediately gone.
Ill take this bet lol. My motor sounds exactly like this one. I'll even pay back full price MSRP. I'll take a clear before and after video same temp same conditions showing the dates and make a post about it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ill take this bet lol. My motor sounds exactly like this one. I'll even pay back full price MSRP. I'll take a clear before and after video same temp same conditions showing the dates and make a post about it.

PM me and I'll do it.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Dang Jim legit sending me some to try out for this experiment. Im gonna get 3x videos over the course of 5 days at the same operating temp on each day.

Then i will do the treatment and do the same. Should have results in a few weeks as to whether or not this does quiet down my super loud lifter tick.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Dang Jim legit sending me some to try out for this experiment. Im gonna get 3x videos over the course of 5 days at the same operating temp on each day.

Then i will do the treatment and do the same. Should have results in a few weeks as to whether or not this does quiet down my super loud lifter tick.

My oil change is coming up at the end of the month, I'll wait to see some real time results and put some in after that if it turns out good. It looks promising and Jim's speaking highly of it. And like I mentioned earlier, usually the snake oil stuff doesn't cost as much. You spend $8 - $15 on a bottle of treatment and it does nothing, you don't care. You spend $100+ on a treatment and it does nothing, you get pissed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My oil change is coming up at the end of the month, I'll wait to see some real time results and put some in after that if it turns out good. It looks promising and Jim's speaking highly of it. And like I mentioned earlier, usually the snake oil stuff doesn't cost as much. You spend $8 - $15 on a bottle of treatment and it does nothing, you don't care. You spend $100+ on a treatment and it does nothing, you get pissed.

Completely agree.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Your oil should be up to operating temperature, 220 degrees. Add the treatment and immediately drive for at least 50 miles, more preferably. I would add it after an oil change so it's in the oil until the next change. I'll make you the same deal that I did for Diggs. If the ticking isn't gone I'll refund you. Make sure to use the promo code "xeperformance" for the 20% discount.

So the treatment doesn't need to be done right before an oil change? Say I have 5k miles before the next change. I can drive those 5k miles with that treatment in my engine?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So the treatment doesn't need to be done right before an oil change? Say I have 5k miles before the next change. I can drive those 5k miles with that treatment in my engine?

Based on the instructions, yes.

1. Warm engine to normal operating temperature and add recommended dosage to ENGINE OIL. Add Cerma STM-3 Engine Treatment while the engine is running. DO NOT add to your fuel tank. If blow-by or pressurized oil system is present, shut off engine, add dosage amount, close cap and immediately restart engine. (More is Not Better - Use Only Recommended Dose)

2. Keep engine running and immediately after treatment is added, bring engine up to 1500 to 2000 rpm and hold for 2 to 4 minutes. This will ensure that Cerma STM-3 Engine Treatment circulates throughout the engine.

3. Continue to run engine for no less than 30 minutes. The preferred method is to drive the vehicle for at least 20 - 30 miles (40 miles for trucks), the longer the better. As the oil is circulated, Cerma STM-3 treats the metal. As you drive,you may start to notice a decrease in noise and vibration -- this is the Cerma doing its job!

4. Do not change oil for at least 1500 miles (3000 miles for trucks and semi-trucks, 500 miles for motorcycles) after adding Cerma STM-3 Engine Treatment to motor oil. Otherwise you may change your oil at the manufacturer’s recommended interval.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Yes that's exactly what you should do.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The cerma treatment is in. Jim sent it to me betting I'll end up paying for it. It looks legit.

Big turbo, bolt ons and some other goodies are on. Oil is changing tomorrow and that's when I'll treat it and video the difference. My engine is quite loud especially In the lifter area.

It is a tiny azz bottle. It says treat while running but I think oil would spray out..

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
The cerma treatment is in. Jim sent it to me betting I'll end up paying for it. It looks legit.

Big turbo, bolt ons and some other goodies are on. Oil is changing tomorrow and that's when I'll treat it and video the difference. My engine is quite loud especially In the lifter area.

It is a tiny azz bottle. It says treat while running but I think oil would spray out..
Looking forward to it.

I've seen video of people putting it in while running, just pop the oil cap off and dump it in. I don't think it's going to spray anything.