GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tapping

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I was doing my DSG change the other day and letting the car idle to get up to trans temp so I could pull the plug and let the excess drain off (I had planned on drain/measure/fill but that's another story) and I noticed a tapping from my motor that I don't think was there previously, or if it was, has gotten much more pronounced. It is also more noticeable as I shift angles on the front of the car as you'll hear half way through the video when its pretty much all you can hear.

What's this sound like to you guys? Should I be concerned or is this normal and I'm hearing something that isn't there or isn't a big deal.

Quick edit: I just realized, and I should note, that I have JB4, but the OBD connector was unplugged at the time I heard this because I was using OBDEleven to monitor DSG fluid temp. I actually didn't check it to see if I heard it after the fact with the OBD connector plugged back in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you want to get rid of the ticking get a bottle of Cerma engine treatment. That's what mine sounded like before I used it. Use the promo code "xeperformance" fo a 20 % discount.
https://www.cermastore.com/

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
These engines tick, I’ve seen people on here argue back and forth about it before... just my take though

t reminds me a lot of the e90 BMW n52 motor with the lifter tick issue. They had to replace lifters and rockers on those. They claimed it was in spec but people could see visible premature wear on tear down.

If you want to get rid of the ticking get a bottle of Cerma engine treatment. That's what mine sounded like before I used it. Use the promo code "xeperformance" fo a 20 % discount.
https://www.cermastore.com/

Interesting. Not snake oil?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
t reminds me a lot of the e90 BMW n52 motor with the lifter tick issue. They had to replace lifters and rockers on those. They claimed it was in spec but people could see visible premature wear on tear down.

interesting.

The oil is good also but I was specifically talking about the Engine Treatment.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sounds like mine.

Diggs that's what mine sounded like also and if you get the product I recommended and it doesn't eliminate the ticking I'll refund the purchase because I trust you to be honest about it.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Diggs that's what mine sounded like also and if you get the product I recommended and it doesn't eliminate the ticking I'll refund the purchase because I trust you to be honest about it.
I’ll post a video after if I run it and we can see if it eliminated it. I might even take a look at the audio waveform in the videos and do a comparison.

I haven’t bothered reading enough about it yet, but is this something I just put in and don’t worry about changing the oil or is this use just before oil service.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Interesting. Not snake oil?

I have no financial interest in that company and have used the product and believe in it. My engine sounded exactly like yours. See my response to Diggs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’ll post a video after if I run it and we can see if it eliminated it. I might even take a look at the audio waveform in the videos and do a comparison.

I haven’t bothered reading enough about it yet, but is this something I just put in and don’t worry about changing the oil or is this use just before oil service.

Your oil should be up to operating temperature, 220 degrees. Add the treatment and immediately drive for at least 50 miles, more preferably. I would add it after an oil change so it's in the oil until the next change. I'll make you the same deal that I did for Diggs. If the ticking isn't gone I'll refund you. Make sure to use the promo code "xeperformance" for the 20% discount.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Your oil should be up to operating temperature, 220 degrees. Add the treatment and immediately drive for at least 50 miles, more preferably. I would add it after an oil change so it's in the oil until the next change. I'll make you the same deal that I did for Diggs. If the ticking isn't gone I'll refund you. Make sure to use the promo code "xeperformance" for the 20% discount.

Looks interesting. $80 for a 2oz bottle is steep though. That goes up even more if you follow their advice of following the $80 engine treatment with the $50 turbo treatment.

Your Turbo will become smoother, faster spool times, reduced wear of internal bushings, coking will be reduced.

Have you done both, or just the engine treatment? I really try to stay involved above and beyond with engine care and maintenance, so definitely interested in the product. I usually follow a pretty strict "additives do more harm than good" rule, if they do anything at all. But most additives are something for $15 for an 8oz bottle that make ridiculous claims.

I'm not doubting you at all, but if it's some magical treatment for our cars, why isn't talked about or recommended more?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I have no financial interest in that company and have used the product and believe in it.

Oh I never thought you had any financial interest or anything, I'm just always skeptical of "engine treatments" because of all the back and forth about them and what they can/can't do in every automotive forum I've been on in the last 2 decades.

Thanks for the pointers on when to add and how far to drive. That's going to mean an early sat/sun morning here in the Bay Area if I want to be able to drive that kind of distance at highway speed unrestricted. I'll probably drive up to SF and back from where I live, or maybe over the mountain to see @Hammersticks. I just did an oil change last weekend along with DSG flush so maybe I'll put in an order and get it in asap so I have it in the motor for the next 5-6 months.

$87.75 shipped to me... If I do it, I will definitely post a video as I said. Not sure I will though. Can't really find anything that is a positive review beyond what you're saying here and the FakeSpot review score is an F... At least CeraTec has a C review score hahaha.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Looks interesting. $80 for a 2oz bottle is steep though. That goes up even more if you follow their advice of following the $80 engine treatment with the $50 turbo treatment.

Have you done both, or just the engine treatment? I really try to stay involved above and beyond with engine care and maintenance, so definitely interested in the product. I usually follow a pretty strict "additives do more harm than good" rule, if they do anything at all. But most additives are something for $15 for an 8oz bottle that make ridiculous claims.

I'm not doubting you at all, but if it's some magical treatment for our cars, why isn't talked about or recommended more?

I did both treatments but the turbo treatment won't stop the tapping sound the OP posted about. I learned about the company from the Veloster forum when I had a Veloster Turbo. I guess it's not talked about because it's a small company that can't afford to do the advertising required to get it talked about. And I wouldn't think that any $15 treatment would do anything but take your money.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I did both treatments but the turbo treatment won't stop the tapping sound the OP posted about. I learned about the company from the Veloster forum when I had a Veloster Turbo. I guess it's not talked about because it's a small company that can't afford to do the advertising required to get it talked about. And I wouldn't think that any $15 treatment would do anything but take your money.

Did you notice the turbo treatment doing anything (they make some pretty hefty claims, smoother and faster spool), or was it strictly a health and preventative maintenance thing?