GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tapping

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah you may need some super high tech mic to pick up the differences but here it is

I definitely think for someone with a really really loud head it would quiet it down some. I could definitely hear a difference while driving. No more choppy rhythm when hood liner is off. Even in my 500hp mk7 the engine sounds like stock unless I start getting into boost

So are you happy with the Cerma treatment? Was your oil hot hot when you added it and did you then drive at least 50 miles?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m just sitting here mind blown Twist hasn’t pulled the trigger on BFI mounts yet with that much power.

The noise is definitely reduced judging from those videos. At $87 a pop idk how many will see that as enough of a return, but it does what Jim said

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m just sitting here mind blown Twist hasn’t pulled the trigger on BFI mounts yet with that much power.

The noise is definitely reduced judging from those videos. At $87 a pop idk how many will see that as enough of a return, but it does what Jim said

I'm surprised it isn't quieter. Twist hasn't responded if he added it when the oil was over 200 degrees and then immediately drove it for at least 50 miles. Also a friend of mine purchased your DP and IC and loves them.

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Yeah I added it was 215-220 atleast and held at 2500 rpm for 5 minutes straight then proceeded to drive 35 miles. Stopped for 10-15 then drove another shoot probably 70.

And jake I'm swapping BFIs with someone I have CTS and powerflex hybrid right now.

Edit: Oh wow yeah go to video and compare :52 to 2:15

Last edited:

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Added Cerma engine treatment on my 41k 2017. Brought it up to temp., poured in revved to 2000 for a bit and then drove for 21 miles. I recall the instructions saying drive for 20-30miles. Keep it in the car for 3000 miles at least. I didn’t see the 50miles. The engine is indeed quieter. I will do the turbo treatment at the next oil change in 5k or so.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Added Cerma engine treatment on my 41k 2017. Brought it up to temp., poured in revved to 2000 for a bit and then drove for 21 miles. I recall the instructions saying drive for 20-30miles. Keep it in the car for 3000 miles at least. I didn’t see the 50miles. The engine is indeed quieter. I will do the turbo treatment at the next oil change in 5k or so.

Fantastic product.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Was it my previous car? That one the injectors were really loud. This one sounds rough in the head. The lifters sound like they're about to fly through the valve cover which you will hear in the videos. My point was that this noise is normal. That tapping is the injectors as Diggs mentioned.

But so far yes I hear a difference for sure. We couldn't put in while running it started making some crazy noises when I tried to pull cap off and wanted to suck me into the cover.

One thing that def got me hooked was the fuel treatment. They sent 2 tiny bottles of fuel treatment with it and I used that the day before and really could feel the stm-3 working.
Loud noise with oil cap off is probably the pcv... that’s a way to get it to see if it’s bad ??

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How often are you doing oil changes? I’m doing them at 5k

I do every 4K. When I get to 100,000 miles I'll switch to every 3K. That's what I've done with all my cars because I drive so many miles and am convinced that in spite of being tuned etc that I'm able to drive my cars for well over 200,000 miles.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I've been changing my GTI every 4-5k since new. Same on the Wife's Golf.

I do feel like the engines have gotten louder in their respective 35K and 55K miles, and I do feel like I hear more tapping when cold than when warmed up, but I have nothing but my ear to bring me to that conclusion. So maybe we can find out if they get quieter that when I put Cerma in...

@jimlloyd40, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the treatment for both cars and I want to get scientific with this!

I have a friend who is a PhD in acoustics working for a top 5 tech company here in the Bay Area and an avid taper of live music. I want to get him to set up his Schoeps mics, make recordings of before and after the treatment in the motor and do an audio-based analysis of what happens to the sound the motor is making. Might take a bit to arrange the timing of this but I will do it if my friend thinks that he could do a proper analysis of the audio.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've been changing my GTI every 4-5k since new. Same on the Wife's Golf.

I do feel like the engines have gotten louder in their respective 35K and 55K miles, and I do feel like I hear more tapping when cold than when warmed up, but I have nothing but my ear to bring me to that conclusion. So maybe we can find out if they get quieter that when I put Cerma in...

@jimlloyd40, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the treatment for both cars and I want to get scientific with this!

I have a friend who is a PhD in acoustics working for a top 5 tech company here in the Bay Area and an avid taper of live music. I want to get him to set up his Schoeps mics in my garage, make recordings of before and after the treatment in the motor and do an audio-based analysis of what happens to the sound the motor is making. Might take a bit to arrange the timing of this but I will do it if my friend thinks that he could do a proper analysis of the audio.

Looking forward to this. Just remember to add the Cerma engine treatment when the oil is hot and start your engine immediately drive for 50 miles.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Looking forward to this. Just remember to add the Cerma engine treatment when the oil is hot and start your engine immediately drive for 50 miles.
Will do. Talking with my buddy right now and he says it should be doable.

He will come to do a recording on my driveway (not in the garage, according to him, there are too many reflections for good recording, which makes sense) next weekend of a cold start and then of engine at idle when warm (200-210 ºF).

I will add Cerma that morning when warm, idle at 2500 RPM for 5-10 minutes and then drive 50+ miles.

I will do 1500 miles and do another recording in the same spot at a later date. I anticipate 5–6 weeks between recordings at my typical miles/week.

It doesn't rain much here so I will mark the driveway with chalk for tire and mic stand positioning. We will record mic distances and angles with tape measure and protractors to get as accurate a repeat placement as possible. Recordings will be made with Schoeps CMC54 mics & Mixpre 6 @ 24/96 bitrate. Photos will of course be taken :)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Will do. Talking with my buddy right now and he says it should be doable.

He will come to do a recording on my driveway (not in the garage, according to him, there are too many reflections for good recording, which makes sense) next weekend of a cold start and then of engine at idle when warm (200-210 ºF).

I will add Cerma that morning when warm, idle at 2500 RPM for 5-10 minutes and then drive 50+ miles.

I will do 1500 miles and do another recording in the same spot at a later date. I anticipate 5–6 weeks between recordings at my typical miles/week.

It doesn't rain much here so I will mark the driveway with chalk for tire and mic stand positioning. We will record mic distances and angles with tape measure and protractors to get as accurate a repeat placement as possible. Recordings will be made with Schoeps CMC54 mics & Mixpre 6 @ 24/96 bitrate. Photos will of course be taken :)

You can skip the idling at 2500 RPM and just immediately drive for 50 miles. And you don't need to wait 1500 miles for the follow up recording because the result will be immediate. I really like the scientific way you're going about it. If you want to do the idling it's fine but I never did that on the cars I treated and still got the results.