GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me through this - I think I'm going to need to spend some money

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Thanks for this, sincerely. It also has to do with cash flow right this instant, I'd essentially have to shell out another $1,000 CAD or so for a different tune. I'll start calling around for prices tomorrow but my assumption is: all Canadian funds: Clutch around $2,300; DP around $1000: IaBED rear seal around $180. Labour, say $800? So just over $4,000. I pay Uni another $150, and roll around like that for say, 6 months or so, and then come summer time I'd look to do the intercooler and different tune options.
Even for CAD those prices for clutch and dp seem way too high

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Clutch ended up being $2100 tax in, DP $1000. We pay higher prices than you guys do, due to duties etc... I'm happy.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I don't know enough about that; I'll research - thank you.

if you buy a JB4 new, their technical support will work with you for feee on a custom Map 6 tune to stack with your Uni tune. It would cost less than going with another ECU tune altogether, and the good things is Uni’s tune is timing-heavy, less boost. Which means you got the most ideally suited OTS tune for stacking with a JB4.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I wish i never wasted money on uni 1+ and 2....went to apr after i went is38 and now eqt with a dbv2 turbo...i wasted so much money flipping tunes
That's a fair chunk of change - that sucks, but in the end, if you're happy, that's what matters. Hindsight is always 20/20.
if you buy a JB4 new, their technical support will work with you for feee on a custom Map 6 tune to stack with your Uni tune. It would cost less than going with another ECU tune altogether, and the good things is Uni’s tune is timing-heavy, less boost. Which means you got the most ideally suited OTS tune for stacking with a JB4.
Great - thank you for this insight.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Figured I'd update this:

The clutch is broken in - this is the best clutch that I have ever owned - previously I have owned an ACT clutch on a supercharged K20 Acura; and a clutchmasters clutch on a N/A b16 Civic. I love the SB - the pedal feel is perfect, engagement point is perfect, it holds the power down very well. I love it, favorite modification that I have done to the car.

Unitronic downpipe: love it. It was more expensive than some of the alternatives but it is a quality piece. Previous downpipe experience comes from an HPA unit on a Mk6R. They are similar, with the welds on the Uni being better. At the time, the HPA also had a 100 cell cat from memory, this one has a 200 cel. I do not notice fumes, at all. The car has become a lot louder between 2.5 - 3.5K RPM, but I like it. I've always preferred more noise than less. I do not think I will be altering the rest of the exhaust system though (famous last words).

Uni stage 2 tune: They provided me with two options after I called them - I am not keen on looking for 93 octane gas whenever I need to fill up, so I asked them about a 91 file and they provided me with three choices of stage 2 files: 93, 93 with pops and bangs and the 91 tune. I'm not into pops and bangs so I did not mind not having this option for the tune. I like the tune, it has improved drivability, the car spools faster (i understand this is the dp), there feels to be a significant amount of more accessible torque down low. It is a very linear tune, the car drives like stock, but with more power. I'm a fan. I was bashing the stage 1 tune, but feel completely opposite about their stage 2 file. I don't think I will be changing it.

The rice boy in me wanted more swooshing noises, so i picked up an IE intake. I plan to grab a uni intercooler in the summer and I think that will be that for "power mods". After that I think I'll grab a set of wheels with some nice tires and eventually replace the struts with some b6's and call it a day.

In the end, I do not have regrets about spending the money, it was worth it, the car is that much better now.