GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of it...

Gallo-24

Hello MK7-7.5 fans!

I am currently in the market for a used '16-'18 GTI as I am about to get rid of my truck to save on gas and have something fun. I have finally landed on pursuing the MK7 GTI after months of researching the options and this platform fit the bill for everything I was wanting : easily modifiable, comfortable, gas friendly, easy on the eyes, and a STRONG forum community.
Now that I am pretty much obsessed with joining this club, I am asking a favor of you guys...

Please talk me out of being fixated on getting a GTI with the Performance Package!

I scour the classifieds and FB marketplace every day looking for a decently priced GTI with that RED BADGE and they are all noticeably more expensive!

I definitely want a DSG and the average price of a nice, lower mileage, non-PP car is very enticing. I just have a feeling I am going to envy that red badge and the better brakes and the LSD (oh and the +10hp ?) every time I look at one. I know it sounds weird but please save my wallet and tell me I'm not missing much!

I don't plan on doing any serious racing with the car but I do intend to pursue FBO Stage 2 within the first year or so and then maybe tune more down the road.

I guess what I'm asking is, would I regret going non-PP?

Side note: I test drove a non-PP that had the badge painted red lol and it surprised me how quick it was. Not sure if it had been tuned but it had an ECS logo on the intake tube and the CTS logo on a black plastic piece down near the turbo. If that speed was stock, I can't wait to see what a tuned car will do!

kgmm/sss

Passed Driver's Ed
Get the PP GTI if at all possible, I've had both non and PP Mk7s and the the Diff alone is a game changer.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Welcome!

I hate to be that guy, but, having owned both a Non-PP and a PP, one is noticeably better than the other, and I definitely couldn't go back!

shiaA.gif

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
I'm another who has had both. Originally a 2015 non PP, non LP 6 speed manual, and now a 2019 Rabbit, which is PP LP and DSG. Couldnt go back

Gallo-24

This plan seems to be backfiring...

There's only a couple MK7's with PP (and ideally LP) for sale in my entire state that are in my price range with decent miles. And my state is somewhat large (TX).

I've talked to one seller who has exactly what I want and is throwing in a DP and IC and a bunch of other stuff. I'm just afraid it will be gone by the time I'm ready to buy in a week or so and the pickins are pretty slim.

Wish I had never learned what the PP was. Now I can't let it go... ??

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
This plan seems to be backfiring...

There's only a couple MK7's with PP (and ideally LP) for sale in my entire state that are in my price range with decent miles. And my state is somewhat large (TX).

I've talked to one seller who has exactly what I want and is throwing in a DP and IC and a bunch of other stuff. I'm just afraid it will be gone by the time I'm ready to buy in a week or so and the pickins are pretty slim.

Wish I had never learned what the PP was. Now I can't let it go... ??

:ROFLMAO:

The LP is a hugely underrated option. I never want to drive a car with halogens again.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The LP is a hugely underrated option. I never want to drive a car with halogens again.

I had the lighting package (not what they called it back then, but it's eluding me right now) on my MKV. Ever since that car, I'll never own another without some sort of projector/HID headlights.

I ended up in a 2015 GTI S with LP and non-PP. At the time, it was one of the few used in my area and in my budget with what I wanted. I wanted cloth seats, no sunroof, and LP. The performance pack would have been a nice addition, but with my commute the way it is (read: usually slow), I don't really miss it. I did have a 2019 with PP as a loan while my thermostat was being replaced, and I did like the braking modulation in that car a bit better, but I can't attest to that being because it was a new car with less than 1,000 miles on it, or the bigger brakes.

I say get the non-PP and purchase a Wavetrac which is a better Diff along with an ST 40 brake kit.

This is kind of where I landed when making my decision. I wasn't overly worried about having the performance package, since I knew there would be aftermarket solutions if this car ever turned into a dedicated autocross or track car.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I say get the non-PP and purchase a Wavetrac which is a better Diff along with an ST 40 brake kit.
Agree. If the premium is that much, get the cheaper one and spring for new bits when you want. Sounds like you're going to tune it, and the wavetrac will outshine with more power. Also, don't underestimate good tires. And i recommend with LP or buy the halogens and plan for reps.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've had a 17 PP with the red badge and an 18 PP with the silver badge. No doubt, the red badge is cooler. I also like the bumpers of the 17 more. But the headlights, interior trim and head unit sure are better on the 18, and it has double the warranty.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You need the PP for the lighting package alone. If you don't get it, you'll be chasing better lighting forever.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I got the base, non-PP non-LP, non-10hp, non-diff. I would go with that, cheaper, if you have money why not get the top model but, the only thing i regret is not getting the LP, the LP is a must, which means usually PP. Brakes are whatever as I want some big boys in the future but the aftermarket lights are not as good as OEM LP which is night and day vs the halogen crap the base comes with. I dont really notice a difference with diff as I never had this. 10hp is laughable as its like ... once you get the car your gonna tune it eventually and that will add 80hp or more so 10hp is nothing, even if you dont tune, get an intake and downpipe and that will add 30ish hp

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I've got an early '15 SE model, lighting package but no PP.
As for the PP maybe I'd miss it if I lived in a location - and drove in a way that allowed me to wring out the car in a way where the PP came into play.
But I don't.
The car's driven on the street (no track) for commuting and errand running like 99% of the other vehicles out there.
I don't miss not having the PP one iota.