GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Taking my new GTI on Route 66 from LA to Chicago. Is that bad?

hawangatang

So, I'm planning on going on a road trip from L.A. to Chicago on Route 66 in my GTI. It's got around 700 miles on it. Is it bad to do that? :iono:

I've read so many mixed opinions. Just thought maybe some input here would be great. Thanks!

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a blast, I'd like to do that some day too.

Get a radar detector and you'll be golden.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Try not to use cruise control for the first couple hundred miles. Just vary your speed, even downshifting once in a while. A few full throttle sprints in higher gears is also recommended for a brief period.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's a car, drive it.

Zach84

Ready to race!
Why would it be bad? I'm driving my car from South FL, to Atlanta, then Asheville, then to NY next week. My car has 300 miles on it. I don't understand why driving a car (what its made for) would be bad...

Tecni

Ready to race!
Exactly, its a road and you own a car. Put the two things together...

hawangatang

haha Decision made! I was just concerned since I've read so many mixed opinions. But it's going to be a blast in my new GTI!

Uberryan

Banned
Should actually be a pretty good break in practice to take it on a long trip like that. Cruise control usage shouldn't be an issue.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, check the break-in instructions in the manual. Don't know if the GTI's specifies this but in previous cars it said not to cruise for excessive amounts of time at the same speed during the break-in period so you should vary your speed.

hawangatang

Yeah, check the break-in instructions in the manual. Don't know if the GTI's specifies this but in previous cars it said not to cruise for excessive amounts of time at the same speed during the break-in period so you should vary your speed.

Based on that, I should do many, many detours on windy roads along the way :drool:

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Should actually be a pretty good break in practice to take it on a long trip like that. Cruise control usage shouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure the owners manual says to avoid the use of cruise control for the first couple hundred miles. During the engine break in you want to vary the engine speed and not have it sit at a constant RPM.

hawangatang

I'm pretty sure the owners manual says to avoid the use of cruise control for the first couple hundred miles. During the engine break in you want to vary the engine speed and not have it sit at a constant RPM.

I think most of Route 66 is smaller city, suburban roads now. So constant RPM shouldn't be an issue. I'd have to look at the map a little bit to find out. But, I'm taking the GTI for sure now. This forum is awesome. :wub:

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
You've already got the first couple hundred miles covered anyway if that's all it says, just have seen past examples where it was as high as 1500. Bought mine used so didn't pay attention to that part of the manual myself.