GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tail lights on North American Golf/GTI

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
As we all know here in North America, for some odd reason we often get different tail lights than the rest of the world.

I am a bit annoyed by what the DOT decides when it comes to amber flashers for tail lights, as seen on the NA models on display in various car shows, we will be shafted once again with the famous brake/flasher combo in red, like the current Tiguan has.

I know we will be able to purchase Euro tail lights to remedy the situation for those who want to... My reason to mention all of this (other than the rant) is, what are your bets on the LED lamps we are suppose to get on the GTI? Will it blink amber like the rest of them, or they will alter those beautiful lights to get the infamous red blinker?!

/rant ;)

fluidd

Passed Driver's Ed
We are definitely NOT getting the LED tail lights in NA.

Confirmed by my buddy from VW dealership.
Also, looking at the trend, the MK6 Golf R never got them as well.. Don't bet or hope on it..

Did you pre-order your GTI here in NA too?

Last edited:

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
Yes but for those who will want the amber turn signal will also have to find incadescent european tail lights since the ones we will get here have that brake/flasher combo which in my opinion is ugly and less safe than amber turn signals.

Vwfreak1

Go Kart Champion
These pictured are standard lights across the world, ours here will be red where that clear part is on the outer tail light, makes no sense to have not kept it the same way. The flasher will be integrated with the brake light, not independent like it should be.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,370

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
Isn't the lights for N America situation more to do with local legislation and not VW?

In the past rectangular lights on European, for example, were replaced by round one. Red turn lights are generally not legal in most of Europe too...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I have no idea why so many people have hang usp over the amber indicators.
Every car on US roads has them.
If Europe had the ambers, and the US didn't - Americans would want the ambers.

Vancity2Constantinople

2.Sloooo n loww
Car(s)
2010 Golf 2.5L Sport
It's just safety regulations. I haven't seen the led taillights (mk7) from the side, if it's easy to see the light from the side then they would put it on the car.

The mk6 led taillights had no light from the side, so you could get T-boned (which i doubt since you would see the car's headlights pass by) so they need light to be seen for regulation purposes.

2000Rivets

I do have the LED taillights but the amber lines doesn't blink since the "stupid" settings for the turn signal is embedded with the stop and tail we only have 3 wires on the US model, the rest of the world has 5, does anyone knows how to VCDS to get the turn signal independent? HELP!!!