GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

T Clamps for intercooler: all the same or brand name?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Grabbed a used intercooler with silicone hoses. No clamps though. I can find a plethora on eBay, but are they all the same? Should I look for a name brand instead? If a name brand is recommended; who would you all use?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
T bolt clamps aren't very good. You want a constant tension clamp. Looks like a t bolt but with a spring that will keep them from coming loose.
T-bolt clamps are perfectly fine and get the job done. I've never had a single issue with a T-bolt clamp losing tension or anything.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
T bolt clamps aren't very good. You want a constant tension clamp. Looks like a t bolt but with a spring that will keep them from coming loose.

T-bolt clamps are perfectly fine and get the job done. I've never had a single issue with a T-bolt clamp losing tension or anything.

I have to agree with @JerseyDrew77 I haven't seen an issue with a T bolt, but the constant tension clamps look gnarly, I dig it. I would get the, just for aesthetics. Thanks for the suggestion.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
It's largely based on what you do with your car. For tracking, the silicon pipes get exposed to a lot of heat and they flex which causes the clamp yo loosen the connection. Every t bolt I had popped off on the track at least once. Taking your bumper off every time to tighten a clamp sucks. It's one of those things I wished I knew about sooner, considering the price difference is about 5 bucks, I'd just use them from the start but to each their own.