GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SYNTHETIC OIL GRADES

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
whats up friends? i was just informed that the oil i use is probably not the top grade oil i could be using, regardless of it being "full synthetic". I understand now that not all full synthetic oils are equal. just curious to learn what yall use and preferably if you use high grade oils, which brands are best for our cars.
I was recommended AMSOIL and am currently using regular full synthetic royal purple
any ideas?

thanks all!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

When talking about oil...the most important thing is changing at a regular interval as...to each his own but 6month or 5k miles does it for me. I would recommend 0w-30 for a car driven in the north....0w-40 for a car driven in the south. Most of all back and forth is alot of opinion and nonsense (all subjective). People find it "fun" to argue over this oil is better because wear is .000010 vs another that prevents wear at a .000011. Over the life of a vehicle...especially over the 3 years most keep one...is completely negligible

BTW....there are at least 7 threads on oil...use the search function....

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
VW approved oil, the weight VW requires, changed at least at the time/mileage VW requires, it doesn't really matter unless you plan to keep the your car forever.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt

When talking about oil...the most important thing is changing at a regular interval as...to each his own but 6month or 5k miles does it for me. I would recommend 0w-30 for a car driven in the north....0w-40 for a car driven in the south. Most of all back and forth is alot of opinion and nonsense (all subjective). People find it "fun" to argue over this oil is better because wear is .000010 vs another that prevents wear at a .000011. Over the life of a vehicle...especially over the 3 years most keep one...is completely negligible

BTW....there are at least 7 threads on oil...use the search function....
thank you! great video. so im in texas now, and will be for a long time. wouldn't i want 5w>0w in this climate? thanks

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
VW approved oil, the weight VW requires, changed at least at the time/mileage VW requires, it doesn't really matter unless you plan to keep the your car forever.
well,
What part of Texas? Must be a typo on the weight of the oil you stated.

san antonio

im saying i would want 5w-40 instead of 0w-40, right?
5w is better for warmer climates

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
Thegrandbull,

Why not send an oil sample to blackstone labs to run an oil analysis? That's what I do. I've used liqui-moly, Motul, and Castrol Edge Euro 0w-40. All have come out great with the edge on Castrol based on my driving habits. Never burned a drop of oil, nearing 40k. My oil change intervals are 10,000 and based on my oil analysis from Blackstone, it has shown the oil is still doing fine at 10k intervals with plenty of protection still on board. I'm sure I could push my oil to 12k and still be fine.

Good luck.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Okay, so the oil topic has been beat to death. I think we all know that. Here are my two pennies.

1. Change your oil on time - VW recommends 10k intervals. This is exactly how often you should be changing your oil. There is no way the engineers got this wrong. You are just wasting money by changing it earlier. Unless you had a track day or something, you should just stick to what's recommended. Synthetic oil doesn't break down, it just gets dirty. Check the dip stick between changes to make sure you are at the proper level. Also, dirty oil is NOT an indication of how well it's lubricating.

2. Use the dealership's oil. VW has their own formula now. It used to be Castrol, the new bottles look like Mobil 1, but that's not been confirmed. Get your oil from the dealership. Less of an issue if you ever need to use your warranty, etc. It costs about the same, too. Maybe a dollar more per quart. There is absolutely no benefit to running Amsoil / Royal etc. It's just wasted money.

3. Check your sticker under the hood for oil weight. There are many different variables that can dictate which oil weight you need, but you can't go wrong if you just use what's on the sticker. For example, VW has the Golf R required oil weight different in at least 3 places. The manual says to run 5w30/40, the sticker says 0w30, and the dealership had 0w20 in their system due to a "memo update." There is a reason the sticker says what it does, and the techs performing oil changes are trained to use what's on the sticker. It's fool proof.

4. What you are referring to as "Oil Grades" are actually oil standards. Some of these include API, ACEA, etc. They vary depending on where you are in the world and how strict emissions standards are. There are some really great videos on YouTube about this and some excellent forums / websites you can visit depending on how much you are trying to learn.

5. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ Visit this page. Anything and everything you could ever want to know about oil. Also send your oil to Blackstone to have an UOA done on your next oil change. This will tell you exactly what the frequency of changes should be. The test kit is free, and the analysis is only about $30. Well worth the $$$ if you ask me.

- Watch this video. This dude has sent in multiple samples, one of which was at 10k interval. Blackstone stated his oil was fine and could have gone longer, even at the 10k mark!

Last edited:

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Thegrandbull,

Why not send an oil sample to blackstone labs to run an oil analysis? That's what I do. I've used liqui-moly, Motul, and Castrol Edge Euro 0w-40. All have come out great with the edge on Castrol based on my driving habits. Never burned a drop of oil, nearing 40k. My oil change intervals are 10,000 and based on my oil analysis from Blackstone, it has shown the oil is still doing fine at 10k intervals with plenty of protection still on board. I'm sure I could push my oil to 12k and still be fine.

Good luck.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
oh nice, good suggestion. i never even considered that option. i run my car PRETTY hard... and change before 10k on average.
but im hearing a lot recently about oil grades and how most everything available commercial, is mid grade and we can go higher if we want.