GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switch from 2017 GTI S to 2018 golf R or maybe wait for 2019?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is what you youngsters have to look forward to: One thing's for sure, engines will be getting smaller and supplemented by electric motors. The next step is all electric. The previous MPG and emissions goals guarantee it. There could be a reprieve but I doubt it. Even if they are frozen, the automakers know they will be here soon. There's new EU standards the UN wants worldwide. That will happen. Al will lament.

But don't sweat it, because once the cars are sorted you'll still have high performance cars. You wont be able to afford them though. Companies might figure out how to add more voltage to the motors at the expense of battery range like Tesla, but you car will be in constant communication with the factory. You think warranty work when remapped is hard to get now?

Gas and Diesel fuels will become obsolete. They won't be economical to produce and so expensive they will go away. We can't meet the demand for electricity now, so we'll need to build many more power plants, wind and solar farms to charge all the cars. The cost per Kilowatt hour will make you cringe.

It's already happening. Look at Volvo. We don't have a trade war with China. They've already won. You just don't realize it. They make most of the solar cells and will make most of the batteries and electric motors.

Reminds me of the manual vs. DSG arguments. There will only be one-speeds. You going to argue one vs. many?

Last edited:

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
This is what you youngsters have to look forward to: One thing's for sure, engines will be getting smaller and supplemented by electric motors. The next step is all electric. The previous MPG and emissions goals guarantee it. There could be a reprieve but I doubt it. Even if they are frozen, the automakers know they will be here soon. There's new EU standards the UN wants worldwide. That will happen. Al will lament.

But don't sweat it, because once the cars are sorted you'll still have high performance cars. You wont be able to afford them though. Companies might figure out how to add more voltage to the motors at the expense of battery range like Tesla, but you car will be in constant communication with the factory. You think warranty work when remapped is hard to get now?

Gas and Diesel fuels will become obsolete. They won't be economical to produce and so expensive they will go away. We can't meet the demand for electricity now, so we'll need to build many more power plants, wind and solar farms to charge all the cars. The cost per Kilowatt hour will make you cringe.

It's already happening. Look at Volvo. We don't have a trade war with China. They've already won. You just don't realize it. They make most of the solar cells and will make most of the batteries and electric motors.

Reminds me of the manual vs. DSG arguments. There will only be one-speeds. You going to argue one vs. many?

Yep. My co-worker got the new Tesla Model 3 and while its not for me the instant torque is really an incredible feeling. Its so eery sitting/accelerating in complete silence (well theres lots of tire/road noise but you know what i mean). Also WAY less maintenance costs.

Mind you he's been to the Tesla place a bunch of times to fix stuff they delivered bad. Rear bumper had to be repainted because it didn't match, passenger seat rattled like crazy so they replaced it, door handle sticking so they replaced it, glove box didn't line up so they replaced it. Really embarrassing for a 60-70k car, but they were always happy to make things right.

When Teslas can take my from home to work without me doing anything then ill look at trading in my VW. Until then i'd rather have a car i love.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Good thing my house already has solar panels installed :) My power bill last month was 45 bucks. As far as electric cars taking over, thats still at least a decade away. Won't happen until there is a way for people to drive cross country and still be able to charge like you can a petrol vehicle.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, C63S AMG
I went from a 2015 Tacoma to a 2017 GTI to a 2018 Golf R to a 2017 Golf R. Hated the 7spd DSG and the bullshit VW called normal behavior. People always ask everyone else ‘should I do it’ and the same answers are always given. I would personally wait for the MKVIII...says the guy who had a 2018 Golf R for six months and traded it in on a new left over 2017 Golf R. If you can afford it, who cares how much money you loose/waste/throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to revive this old thread as I'm doing some research... Why did you go from a 2018 R to a 2017 R? Accident? Change of transmission?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to revive this old thread as I'm doing some research... Why did you go from a 2018 R to a 2017 R? Accident? Change of transmission?
The 2018 DSG has some strangeness to it that a lot of owners don't like, primarily its downshifting when you slam the pedal to the floor and activate the kickdown switch. It hesitates in the downshift way more than the earlier DSG does and many see this as wrong but VW seems to think it's "normal". I rarely if ever tromp on it like that and have learned to press the pedal with authority (but not snap it to the floor) which raises RPMs and allows a more acceptable downshift/acceleration.

But having come from manuals for almost all of my life, I find the delay in the Mk7.5 DSG downshifting is no longer than it would take me to shift from 6th to whatever gear I needed to be in to accelerate in my Corvette, Mustang or Camaro. But I agree - when you tromp on it, you expect it to react much quicker than it is in the 7-SPD DSG.

That seems to be why several owners have "downgraded" to the 2017 from the 2018.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The 2018 DSG has some strangeness to it that a lot of owners don't like, primarily its downshifting when you slam the pedal to the floor and activate the kickdown switch. It hesitates in the downshift way more than the earlier DSG does and many see this as wrong but VW seems to think it's "normal". I rarely if ever tromp on it like that and have learned to press the pedal with authority (but not snap it to the floor) which raises RPMs and allows a more acceptable downshift/acceleration.

But having come from manuals for almost all of my life, I find the delay in the Mk7.5 DSG downshifting is no longer than it would take me to shift from 6th to whatever gear I needed to be in to accelerate in my Corvette, Mustang or Camaro. But I agree - when you tromp on it, you expect it to react much quicker than it is in the 7-SPD DSG.

That seems to be why several owners have "downgraded" to the 2017 from the 2018.

I've only had an 18 SE DSG so I can't compare with any others. The OEM DSG tuning does suck but a DSG tune takes care of that.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I've only had an 18 SE DSG so I can't compare with any others. The OEM DSG tuning does suck but a DSG tune takes care of that.
Just to clarify, the 2018 GTI still has the 6-speed DSG (the 7-speed was introduced in 2019), while the 2018 Golf R has the 7-speed. At least in the USA.

joshgreensauce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Tough choice.
I just picked up a MK 7.5 Golf R and love it. The Mk 8 won't hit the US until 2020 so its 2 years away, not next year. But it will be 400+ HP, so might be worth wait. The 2019's will be same as this year, MK 7.5's. You could just tune your GTI for more power and play with it for 2 years.

400+ HP in the mk8 Golf R? That's not what i'm seeing (~300 hp again).

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It takes about one second to downshift two or more gears. If you can anticipate you're going to need the power downshift manually to an appropriate gear. I'm guessing that's why the 7-speed is slower, depending how fast you're going and what gear the car is currently in, the transmission could be hampered by the extra gear.