GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switch from 2017 GTI S to 2018 golf R or maybe wait for 2019?

blergrd

Ready to race!
I'm getting my mods delivered here and there and it's going good. I was just thinking of going to stock and selling or trading my gti in for an R. If it was a higher trim, I might have less thought to do so. I just just more. power, features, and the like.

Do you think it's worth it?

thanks

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Eh, I went from a 2012 GTI to a 2016 R, both base models. While I find the R to be the better car in total, the difference is not as great as I thought it might be. The GTI has some advantages over the R; it's lighter, it's IMO more playful, and unless you are absolutely into putting down gobs of power, I think it's just more fun. The R is more solid, more capable, and pretty much unflappable. Really, it's about what you want. Again, IMO, it's not a matter of getting more of the same, only, well, more. It's a somewhat different experience overall.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
From 2017 to a 2018 i don't think you'll notice much of a difference unless you get snow where you are. The DAP options are nice if you don't have those.. But you've already taken the biggest depreciation hit might as well wait and see what the MK8s are getting (if you can wait a TBD number of years).

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I went from a 2015 Tacoma to a 2017 GTI to a 2018 Golf R to a 2017 Golf R. Hated the 7spd DSG and the bullshit VW called normal behavior. People always ask everyone else ‘should I do it’ and the same answers are always given. I would personally wait for the MKVIII...says the guy who had a 2018 Golf R for six months and traded it in on a new left over 2017 Golf R. If you can afford it, who cares how much money you loose/waste/throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Eh, I went from a 2012 GTI to a 2016 R, both base models. While I find the R to be the better car in total, the difference is not as great as I thought it might be. The GTI has some advantages over the R; it's lighter, it's IMO more playful, and unless you are absolutely into putting down gobs of power, I think it's just more fun. The R is more solid, more capable, and pretty much unflappable. Really, it's about what you want. Again, IMO, it's not a matter of getting more of the same, only, well, more. It's a somewhat different experience overall.

This. I found my ‘17 GTI more fun to drive and in the beginning definitely noticed the extra weight the R carries with it, especially in corners. The biggest difference of course is the AWD. I drove a GTI about a week ago and even in dry conditions the GTI was loosing traction. I’ll say this while I’m here...my 2018 Golf R had me wishing I had kept my 2017 GTI. I now drive a 2017 Golf R and never think about wanting a GTI.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Tough choice.
I just picked up a MK 7.5 Golf R and love it. The Mk 8 won't hit the US until 2020 so its 2 years away, not next year. But it will be 400+ HP, so might be worth wait. The 2019's will be same as this year, MK 7.5's. You could just tune your GTI for more power and play with it for 2 years.

I did see some spy photos of MK 8's and the body redesign is ugly to me if it sticks to what the photos had. Kind of how they over did the Honda Civic, which is so ugly now.

I will say the Digital Cockpit is so cool in the R's and I love all the tech (there is lots of it), plus the 4 Motion clinched it for me.

I did a review of it if you want to see all the nitty gritty details. Its a long one.

https://youtu.be/w1BNd9bY0S0

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I'm getting my mods delivered here and there and it's going good. I was just thinking of going to stock and selling or trading my gti in for an R. If it was a higher trim, I might have less thought to do so. I just just more. power, features, and the like.

Do you think it's worth it?

thanks

Going to need to know your gross weekly income, your age, your goals in life, and all of your debt information to answer that.

blergrd

Ready to race!
This. I found my ‘17 GTI more fun to drive and in the beginning definitely noticed the extra weight the R carries with it, especially in corners. The biggest difference of course is the AWD. I drove a GTI about a week ago and even in dry conditions the GTI was loosing traction. I’ll say this while I’m here...my 2018 Golf R had me wishing I had kept my 2017 GTI. I now drive a 2017 Golf R and never think about wanting a GTI.

Those last two sentences don't make sense to me? Do you want to say you don't miss your GTI because you have the r now?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

blergrd

Ready to race!
I'll def watch. I too don't like the re design. I hope they tweak it
Tough choice.
I just picked up a MK 7.5 Golf R and love it. The Mk 8 won't hit the US until 2020 so its 2 years away, not next year. But it will be 400+ HP, so might be worth wait. The 2019's will be same as this year, MK 7.5's. You could just tune your GTI for more power and play with it for 2 years.

I did see some spy photos of MK 8's and the body redesign is ugly to me if it sticks to what the photos had. Kind of how they over did the Honda Civic, which is so ugly now.

I will say the Digital Cockpit is so cool in the R's and I love all the tech (there is lots of it), plus the 4 Motion clinched it for me.

I did a review of it if you want to see all the nitty gritty details. Its a long one.

https://youtu.be/w1BNd9bY0S0

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Those last two sentences don't make sense to me? Do you want to say you don't miss your GTI because you have the r now?

Lol. I had a 2018 MK7.5 Golf R with the DSG7 which I hated driving. So much so that I was in the process of building a 2018 GTI with the DSG6. I then found a new left over 2017 MKVII Golf R with the DSG6 and traded my 2018 R for the 2017 R. Crazy I know but my DSG7 was plagued with the ‘hesitation’ at WOT problem, except mine was awful and it felt like fuel was being cut off completely. It took away from the driving pleasure and if I’m going to own a car that cost over $40K, I’d better enjoy driving it. I love the DSG6 in my MKVII R and for my driving style it’s head and shoulders above the DSG7.

Clear as mud?

adam1991

Banned
All the more reason for me to wait for year 2 or 3 of the Mk8. At that point my GTI will have some serious miles on it--I guess I won't hang onto it until the Mk8 is sorted out.

So in the meantime, what? Today's options:

* continue drive Mk7 GTI regardless, or

* Infiniti Q50 Red Sport, or

* spend the cash on an Audi--S3?

Tomorrow's options ought to be really good.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The S3 is a nice car, no doubt about it. If I didn't already have an R, it'd be more attractive, but the step up in interior/features with the same essential underpinnings isn't quite enough to offset the price for me. That, and I think I'd like a coupe actually for my next car. The Infinitis impress me more than the Lexus models, but when I price out a Q50 Red Sport with the stuff I'd like, it gets pretty pricey. Seems like a very nice car though.

Depending on how long you are thinking of holding out, rolling along in the GTI would be a good option, especially if it means more choices for you. I'm sort of in a similar position, in that I'm looking to the future and a replacement for my car in a couple of years, though mine only has 20k on it (don't drive that much per year). There are some very nice options right now, and possibly some better ones in a couple of years, but there's always the specter of models I like being discontinued, everything skewing SUV or electric, or sunspots and aliens.