GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sway bar “pop” with coilovers

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
Hey y’all,

So since I threw on my coil’s I’ve been getting a popping from the sway bar. I felt the stress that was present trying to line them up on the new coils, so I understand the criggty-cracks. Question is, what’s the best route for the front sway to help alleviate the pops?

Im guessing new end-links, but if they’re the same size, I’m guessing the popping will still be there…?

For the adjustable ones out there, do they seem to stay pretty stable?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
First you have to be sure where the noise is coming from. Your statement "since I threw on my coils"
doesn't elicit confidence in the installation. 😂

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
first, I would disconnect both endlinks, then drive to see if the noises go away. If they go away, then the links are the likely source.

second,.how much did you lower ride height?. In the front it's ideal to have an endlink longer than stock (if you lowered the car), with a length increase equal to the ride height reduction. That said, length is not necessarily the issue for noise.

if it's the links, make sure you install the endlinks perpendicular to the attachment points and torque properly. Install on the bar first, then use a jack on the car or control arm, or both so the link enters the strut bracket easily and perpendicular.

Last edited:

carrots

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI Rabbit
I had issues when I first installed mine (especially since I've never worked on a car before). A couple things that caused the clunking noises I heard was: I didn't tighten the bolts hard enough, the bar was slightly off and one of the bolts from the arm was rubbing on the springs, and the bolts I was using was stripped towards the top end.

After a couple weeks of fixing each of those things individually I finally got rid of those noises