GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping Speedometer Needles

mkca

Car(s)
Mk7
Hi gang,

I'm going through "operation retrofit" with my NA Sportwagen 7.5 right now, turning it into a wannabe Golf R Estate.

I've bought the steering wheel, door panels, lights, seats, etc.

One thing I was thinking of is the speedometer needles. You can find them here and there for sale on the internet. I've seen guides for MKV golfs on how to swap them, but I havent seen a thread talking about someone doing the swap for the MKVII golfs.

Has anyone ever done this?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Subbed for more info.

May want to look and see if you can find info on opening up the cluster from one of the Ali or other knock off Active info cluster threads. They generally have to pull open the old cluster and swap the circuit board into the new unit.

Everything I've read on MK7 says opening the cluster is a no-no, but I've seen it done on MK6s - In fact, that's the first blue needle product that pops up for me on google.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have no first hand experience, but I'd imagine a swap should be a very easy and straight forward swap. Watch this video here starting at about the 12 minute mark:

It's a disassembly video to swap the main board to an aftermarket digital dash, but part of it goes through popping the needles off. I believe all Golfs have the same size cluster, so the needles should just be a direct swap.

mkca

Car(s)
Mk7
I have no first hand experience, but I'd imagine a swap should be a very easy and straight forward swap. Watch this video here starting at about the 12 minute mark:

It's a disassembly video to swap the main board to an aftermarket digital dash, but part of it goes through popping the needles off. I believe all Golfs have the same size cluster, so the needles should just be a direct swap.

Dope— thanks so much. Any need for like pliers to remove the needles? Someone on a thread I read was saying you gotta keep it clamped as you remove or it can de-calibrate or something (idk)