GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping an Audi Cigarette Lighter/12v Socket

cumbersnatch

Am I the only one who's a little bothered by the finish on the center console 12v Socket? It looks like VW decided that they really needed to put something in the center console so they found a $.90 outlet and called it good. Considering swapping this out for an Audi 12v that has the red illuminated ring (still need to determine the part no.) as a compliment to the rest of the cabin illumination.

Has this been done before? Any ideas why this wouldn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
I'll agree the crappy stamped metal basket of that thing sticking out around the lighter bothers me too. I colored mine black with sharpie to buy some time until I figure out what to do permanently. Was thinking to pull it from the car and paint it gloss black but like your idea as well..

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Hmm, does it light up white?

Mine does, yes.

Not sure about the linked ones. They don't have a lot of info in description.

This is still the nicest solution (Audi A3 8P, A4 8E and similar):

8E0 925 071 A 6PS - 25 €

DaveEvening

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, there is a part for Audi A3 8V (Golf Mk7 gen) that have a part no. 8U0919340. Cigarette housing with red light. Into that going 4G0919309C. And then fake cigarette 4H0919311 or real 1J0919307 (of course there might be any else)

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
Was literally just complaining about this. I plan on doing this one myself. Cheap-ish and easy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G..._16?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9ZR5CTC3RR6R4XNVJ3DF

That helps, but the problem is, the cheap galvanized metal bucket is still visible in our cars. (Looks like the second picture they show at that Amazon link). What I want is what is shown in the 4th picture where there is a trim piece convering it or the metal is actually finished. The lighted ring would be a nice option also.

Tatanko

Ready to race!
Is yours not illuminated already? Could be mistaken but thought mine was, just not red.
I think the confusion may be due to model year. You have a 2016 -- as do I -- and ours both have illuminated 12V outlets. If I'm remembering right, one of the cost-cutting measures going into the 2017 model year was non-illuminated 12V outlets. Is OP driving a 2017 by chance?

cumbersnatch

I think the confusion may be due to model year. You have a 2016 -- as do I -- and ours both have illuminated 12V outlets. If I'm remembering right, one of the cost-cutting measures going into the 2017 model year was non-illuminated 12V outlets. Is OP driving a 2017 by chance?

[emoji853] op is indeed driving a 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk