GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping a Wavetrac LSD into a VAQ Equipped car

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I'm preparing a WT install on a 19 GTI PP car. I was under the assumption the VAQ unit can remain installed and plugged in without issues.

Is this not the case?

Anyone with a PP car install a WT and leave the VAQ unit in?

True..... but removing the VAQ unit means a nice weight reduction, less electronics to worry about & you don't have to service it every 3yrs..... (y)

Dave Nailed it as usual. Wavetrac makes a model that can be installed while keeping your VAQ diff.

I chose to go wavetrac for the above reasons, and like my car to be as simple as possible. Less to break!

My transmission/diff has held up amazingly well for being built by me. I keep thinking it'll blow apart at any moment, but since getting the seals sorted it's been a dream to drive and given me zero issues.

Id like to drive a car with VAQ+Wavetrac. I wonder if there is any noticeable difference!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You can leave the VAQ in place. I’m running both and track on a regular basis.
What kind of power levels you at?

My donor trans is in freight now and I’m still trying to figure out if I’m going to use it with the current vaq or dump mine also and get the swap axle (donor trans is a non vaq) I get that people say have them work in unison but if I’m understanding the way the vaq works per Dave collective info, it’s seems that having the lsd + vaq would be leaving the system to confuse each other or cause odd delays.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI

My donor trans is in freight now and I’m still trying to figure out if I’m going to use it with the current vaq or dump mine also and get the swap axle (donor trans is a non vaq) I get that people say have them work in unison but if I’m understanding the way the vaq works per Dave collective info, it’s seems that having the lsd + vaq would be leaving the system to confuse each other or cause odd delays.
If the donor is non-VAQ, you may have to do the swap. It will likely be missing the casting for the bolts on the passenger side of the case where the VAQ attaches. Unless you were going to use half the case from your current trans?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
but if I’m understanding the way the vaq works per Dave collective info, it’s seems that having the lsd + vaq would be leaving the system to confuse each other or cause odd delays.

You have to turn the electronic nannies way down if you have any LSD fitted with or without the VAQ unit...but I theorise that if you did a back to back test of LSD only car -vs-LSD+VAQ car, that the LSD+VAQ car might still have certain situation dependent hiccups as the electronic brains try to be "pro-active" & wrong guess...

I'll requote what I stated regarding the TCR race cars (MK7 & Seat):-

The Seat Leon Cup Racer TCR Race cars were launched only with the DSG & the FDL unit in 2015. Then from 2016 they offered the Sadev sequential gearbox with a mechanical LSD as an upgrade package or full new build. Quote from 2016 brochure:- “For the TCR series the car receives a new lighter & more individually adaptable transmission”. Basically, the racers wanted a sequential gearbox & a mechanical LSD. Thus, a lighter car (40kg less than DSG/FDL for 2017) & more adjustment to suit driver & total predictability of the LSD, compared to the DSG/FDL version. The DSG & FDL launch in the TCR race cars was effectively a PR exercise to “prove” you could track the DSG/FDL.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone know the part numbers for the sequential gear box and LSD from the TCR cars? I'll bet you're talking $15k for the pair.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline

Roughly 460ish ft.lb. Will be going garret powermax very soon though.

If the donor is non-VAQ, you may have to do the swap. It will likely be missing the casting for the bolts on the passenger side of the case where the VAQ attaches. Unless you were going to use half the case from your current trans?

By any chance, would you happen to know if the non PP 02Q and PP 02Q use the same ring gear? I have a spare non PP I've pulled the diff out of. Was hoping I could use the ring gear off it on the wavetrac and keep my stock diff/ring gear complete if I ever neededto swap it back in. Also, have lots of stock gearing/brass (or bronze) forks if anyone needs a low mileage free replacement. 😉
20220121_202322.jpg

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Longterm, if you're building a track car, get a real transmission and LSD.

DSG and stock 6spd manual are good for street and some track.

I'm not ready for a full on track build, I'm hoping to daily it for another 3 or 4 years, but I'd kill to put the shorter gears from the R 6 spd into the GTI 6 speed case. The gearing is all wrong in the GTI manual.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
We’ll shit, In that case guess I’m gonna dump the vaq 😂. Cause I don’t want to have down down between the 2 that’s why I even got a donor.

It’s an annoying step in the trans labor anyways .lol.

So is there a cliff notes of coding ? And anyways to avoid hacking the module parts from the VAQ so I can keep that thing whole.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
Excuse me, I've a question about VAQ hardware and function.
I've a 2019 Gti PP Rabbit (no power mods yet). Just got the VAQ serviced, and it works well for me.
After reading all the literature and sitting through the BorgWarner lecture, can you verify VAQ function for me?

(Edited out non correct)
With the system pressurized, it locks, or nearly locks, it's driveshaft to the outer halfshaft.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Excuse me, I've a question about VAQ hardware and function.
I've a 2019 Gti PP Rabbit (no power mods yet). Just got the VAQ serviced, and it works well for me.
After reading all the literature and sitting through the BorgWarner lecture, can you verify VAQ function for me?

It seems to me the VAQ acts as a internal XDS brake on its' driveshaft. And that driveshaft inside the VAQ does connect the differential to the wheel hub.
With the system pressurized, it locks, or nearly locks, it's driveshaft to the VAQ case. Resulting in torque being sent back though the open gear differential to the other driveshaft.
Am I correct in this assumption?
Thanks in advance.

All info in the first seven posts here:-

How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Dave Nailed it as usual. Wavetrac makes a model that can be installed while keeping your VAQ diff.

I chose to go wavetrac for the above reasons, and like my car to be as simple as possible. Less to break!

My transmission/diff has held up amazingly well for being built by me. I keep thinking it'll blow apart at any moment, but since getting the seals sorted it's been a dream to drive and given me zero issues.

Id like to drive a car with VAQ+Wavetrac. I wonder if there is any noticeable difference!
How much of a difference did you notice with the steel forks and bronze feet?

@GTI4XXX

Car(s)
Vw golf mk7 gti pp
Hello, I have a mk7 pp dsg with a 0D9 gearbox and we have mounted a Wavetrac differential and lights on the dashboard, abs, esp and steering wheel. Is there a solution for those lights?

Attachments

• 089E9C9B-12EE-419B-A8B7-6169B9CC6117.jpeg
    089E9C9B-12EE-419B-A8B7-6169B9CC6117.jpeg
    992.9 KB · Views: 29