GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping a Wavetrac LSD into a VAQ Equipped car

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I know what BW said about the VAQ unit..I have all the documentation...which is why I was able to write what I did & basically said what you state but in other ways..;)

As far as the "R-Performance vectoring" systems...I've not looked into them in detail...but I reckon..its just more of the same.....electronics systems just get better, use more sensors from other modules on the car & have faster ECUs...simples...anyway this isn't the thread for that..

Oh, I know you know... I can see that from your thread. I'm talking to the rest of the people on this forum that modified their stock power levels on their car and think VAQ + open differential (or just their open differential) is ANYWHERE NEAR adequate.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
How much did the wavetrac install run you?

Sorry, I missed this...

A little over $2500 part/labor/tax - but this is likely on the higher end of what it would/should cost

$900-$1200 in labor depending on shop’s hourly rate

Reactions: the

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I have a few hundred miles on the car and wanted to share some thoughts on the differential / etc.

After finishing the subframe and transmission install, I visited home and did not drive the car for over a week. Upon returning, I was determined to fix many of the smaller issues and work to "finish" my build.

PXL_20210416_011234467.jpg
(White is a friend's car. Mine in the back!)

Thankfully, the revised seal for the non- PP cars successfully stopped the heavy transmission leak, and I was able to do a fluid flush to verify that there was a correct amount of fluid inside. Once this was corrected, I moved onto the plastic shift indicator housing, which I had damaged trying to re-install.

The plastic housing had completely broken off, so I used a torch to liquify it out of the transmission. I replaced with a good part off my other transmission. Also did a second fluid change (trans now has 500 miles total)

PXL_20210427_184358453.jpg

As you can see. I also managed to damage the small locking pin while fighting with the plastic bolt. No pieces fell into the transmission and I am leaving it for now. Planning to replace in the future.

I'm currently working on sealing up a small oil leak, and have just finished up a new E40 tune with launch control. The new transmission shifts much more quickly and harder during WOT pulls and is generally nicer to shift, likely due to the brass feet and steel forks!

After getting the car aligned I was still having an issue where it wanted to wander side to side while driving, and pulls to the side even with the wheels dead on. I believe this is due to an improper alignment of the transmission mount while installing the current transmission. I'm hoping to have some time soon to get this sorted and see if it fixes my problems.

In the twisties is where one can really feel the diff. The entire car is so much more composed, relaxed and PREDICTABLE! It's hard to describe, but the steering feels direct and linear. I am able to be more confident with how the car performs at the limit, and have been rolling through many corners in 3rd now that I would previously downshift to 2nd.

I am still working to get the car dialed in, and believe that there is a lot more potential in it if I can get a few things sorted. I'll update this thread again after more time with the setup and an opportunity to drive a VAQ car again.

For now, I'm back off to fight with my vacuum pump!

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I may need to shop around then because I was quoted $3,800 for a Wavetrac on my 2018-S DSG. Wondering if anyone might have recommendations for a reseller/installer in the Omaha - Kansas City area. I live in Omaha but KC isn’t a bad drive and would be worthwhile for good install by a shop experienced in doing it.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I may need to shop around then because I was quoted $3,800 for a Wavetrac on my 2018-S DSG. Wondering if anyone might have recommendations for a reseller/installer in the Omaha - Kansas City area. I live in Omaha but KC isn’t a bad drive and would be worthwhile for good install by a shop experienced in doing it.
Is that quote from S-Line?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes. $1,854 in parts, $1,920 in labor for the Wavetrac install. $3,900 total with tax. This a pretty big investment for a single mod that isn't a new engine.
I don't know about the parts price but the labor price is way out of line.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
That quote sounds like the shops way of saying “we don’t feel like doing this but if you pay us enough we will.” I’d look elsewhere.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes. $1,854 in parts, $1,920 in labor for the Wavetrac install. $3,900 total with tax. This a pretty big investment for a single mod that isn't a new engine.
What’s the shops hourly rate? Pretty sure the Book rate for just dropping the trans and reinstalling the trans is 6-7hours.

I’m not sure of the detail involved in opening the DSG trans housing VS the Manual but something like 3 hours on the actually wavetrac differential install portion is not excessive at all. So for a shop that at 150-200ish an hour it’s not hard to see it get there (for a quote that is)

The problem is with the majority of the perspective you get from the forum is from people who don’t even know the actual detail involved in installing a diff, in these cars.

Id be interested in seeing what’s all with the parts that it’s hitting $1800 though.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
What’s the shops hourly rate? Pretty sure the Book rate for just dropping the trans and reinstalling the trans is 6-7hours.

I’m not sure of the detail involved in opening the DSG trans housing VS the Manual but something like 3 hours on the actually wavetrac differential install portion is not excessive at all. So for a shop that at 150-200ish an hour it’s not hard to see it get there (for a quote that is)

The problem is with the majority of the perspective you get from the forum is from people who don’t even know the actual detail involved in installing a diff, in these cars.

Id be interested in seeing what’s all with the parts that it’s hitting $1800 though.
20509D83-B528-4605-BB5D-0DB078609D95.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I've read through the threads of people who have done the install. $1,900 is pretty close to what I would have expected for labor. It doesn't look like an easy job.