GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping a Wavetrac LSD into a VAQ Equipped car

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
The final piece of the build came in today! Unfortunately, I will have to push back the install of everything until after I have finished moving. Expecting to get it all set up nearer to the end of March!

Until then, I'll gladly oogle the shiny new parts for a few weeks :cool:

PXL_20210225_224716642.jpg

This is the Verkline front tubular subframe and wishbones. With the wavetrac diff plus this suspension setup, track / canyon days should be a blast this upcoming season!

I'll also be installing a new front sway bar, front strut mounts for camber, and rear control arms for camber adjustment as well as a few other goodies along the way.

The transmission is currently sitting fully assembled in my garage, ready to install!

Last edited:

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
PXL_20210331_231724368.jpg

Back on the lift where it belongs...

Snapchat-1594281939.jpg

We've all seen this picture before- but behold the transmission hole! I opted to drop the subframe, which allowed me to remove the transmission with the differential intact. Re-installation went forward without drama.

Snapchat-1726402887.jpg

We can see the lack of VAQ diff here & this is the non-pp axle shaft. Dropped some weight and complexity!

I was able to properly shift through all the gears, and got the car running while still on stands to test first and second gear.

Everything seems to be working as intended, so I've moved forward with the subframe install and plan to have the car driving sometime this weekend!

The car is currently throwing every error code in the book, but I am going to attribute that to the battery having been out and my current lack of a passenger seat (to clean underneath). Hoping to start working coding soon. If anyone has tips / guides on the following OBD11 coding processes I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction:

Anti-slip regulation (ASR), Cross Differential Lock (XDS - EDL), Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP)/Electronic Stabilization Control are all completely coded off/out. My Wavetrac is the only thing controlling where my power goes and when to my front wheels.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If you don't mind I'll link to this thread in my "How the VAQ unit works" guide..just to provide a reference point for others who may also want to remove the heavy lump...!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If you don't mind I'll link to this thread in my "How the VAQ unit works" guide..just to provide a reference point for others who may also want to remove the heavy lump...!
I’m still trying to decide if i just add a wavetrac to the lump or remove the lump...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I’m still trying to decide if i just add a wavetrac to the lump or remove the lump...

Seeing as the OP shredded his factory open diff..much like the diff in the MQ250 gearboxes....due to too much torque...

Quite funny, that some people (obviously bad drivers) shred the clutches with too much power increase....yet there are reports of both the MQ350 & MQ250 shredding the diff & not the clutches even with power increases.... proving that if you are a good driver that the weak link is the diff & not the clutch...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Seeing as the OP shredded his factory open diff..much like the diff in the MQ250 gearboxes....due to too much torque...

Quite funny, that some people (obviously bad drivers) shred the clutches with too much power increase....yet there are reports of both the MQ350 & MQ250 shredding the diff & not the clutches even with power increases.... proving that if you are a good driver that the weak link is the diff & not the clutch...
My concerns not really around breaking the open diff, wet clutch’s shaft or axles, as those are typical issues that arise during launches on a sticky surfaces. My efforts for wanting a mechanical LSD are that it feels like the vaq struggles to behave smooth with the how much power and tq the car has now. Like even in 3rd on the highway I can feel it like the vaq is torque vectoring of sorts and it’s this weird grab/ungrab feel.

So I’m wondering if having and mechanical diff in the system Pre - vaq will help that or if I’d still deal with the vaq struggling.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Ooof, I would not try to do this yourself. I was able to stick around/hang out at the shop that did mine and it was a very detailed install.

Also, you do not eliminate the VAQ eLSD, it stays and works in tandem with the Wavetrac. Wavetrac replaces your open differential (all models have them regardless of PP or not). Which is why EVERYONE benefits from this upgrade. Open differentials ARE TERRIBLE for performance cars. VAQ is not a true LSD.

I'm not sure why Wavetrac said they have not fitted their LSD to a PP model, that is an odd statement considering A TON of PP MK7s run it.

How much did the wavetrac install run you?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say it's crazy how you're able to just uninstall and reinstall transmissions and rip them apart so easily. I'm here doing all kinds of research and shitting bricks about replacing my clutch and you're just doing it like it's nothing!

That's crazy! Why do you have your trans apart??

My steel forks have arrived as well as the bronze feet, so I've solved that problem, but it definitely would have been nicer to save the $$ and have steel from the factory!

Was having engagement issues and wanted to make sure it wasn’t bend/opens forks... also the tech broke the locking pin and when I found out it was metal I wanted to fish it out and or see if it cause damage. Lucky it was stuck to the magnet.

I was about to laugh so hard if @El_bigote_AJ said he pulled his transmission apart to check because of this thread. :LOL:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
My concerns not really around breaking the open diff, wet clutch’s shaft or axles, as those are typical issues that arise during launches on a sticky surfaces. My efforts for wanting a mechanical LSD are that it feels like the vaq struggles to behave smooth with the how much power and tq the car has now. Like even in 3rd on the highway I can feel it like the vaq is torque vectoring of sorts and it’s this weird grab/ungrab feel.

So I’m wondering if having and mechanical diff in the system Pre - vaq will help that or if I’d still deal with the vaq struggling.

The VAQ will struggle see my "about it" guide, the race cars that used it had quite a bit of pre-load & on a dyno lab when trying to get results it was all over the place..its constantly juggling the torque....(again see my write up)

Its ok, but not smooth predictable like a LSD...

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
The VAQ will struggle see my "about it" guide, the race cars that used it had quite a bit of pre-load & on a dyno lab when trying to get results it was all over the place..its constantly juggling the torque....(again see my write up)

Its ok, but not smooth predictable like a LSD...

The VAQ LSD is a consumer-targeted safety system, BorgWarner alluded to this simple fact in one of their first press releases about the system. VAQ was engineered for the power levels it was purpose built for. Your thread is full of a lot of very useful information, thank you for taking the time to collect/write all of it for us. Now please write one for the new R-Performance Torque Vectoring system :ROFLMAO:

If anyone has tips / guides on the following OBD11 coding processes I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction:

I'll ask the shop that did mine if they can provide me with the specifics

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The VAQ LSD is a consumer-targeted safety system, BorgWarner alluded to this simple fact in one of their first press releases about the system. VAQ was engineered for the power levels it was purpose built for. Your thread is full of a lot of very useful information, thank you for taking the time to collect/write all of it for us. Now please write one for the new R-Performance Torque Vectoring system :ROFLMAO:

I'll ask the shop that did mine if they can provide me with the specifics

I know what BW said about the VAQ unit..I have all the documentation...which is why I was able to write what I did & basically said what you state but in other ways..;)

As far as the "R-Performance vectoring" systems...I've not looked into them in detail...but I reckon..its just more of the same.....electronics systems just get better, use more sensors from other modules on the car & have faster ECUs...simples...anyway this isn't the thread for that..

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Definitely feel free! I referenced your threads heavily during my research for this project and would be happy to contribute at all if I can.
I'd be interested to see how both perform together when tested in a semi-controlled environment.

A friend of mine has a stock 2015 PP. We're hoping to get out on track a few times this year, and I'll see if I can notice a difference in how the differentials react!

Fedex has pushed the delivery of the axle back another day ;/