GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping a Wavetrac LSD into a VAQ Equipped car

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Diving deeper into the transmission over the past week, I was able to separate the gears and inspect the shift forks. It appears that my 1-2 fork is steel, but the rest are bronze. I've ordered a full set of steel forks to add to the build. Pics below:

View attachment 199439

View attachment 199440

View attachment 199441

I was also messing around with the diff codes again, and tried driving around with the control module plugged in, but the actual pump unit disconnected. This successfully disabled the VAQ diff without throwing any error codes! I hope to utilize this with the LSD setup in the future.

Why not allow them to work together?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Correct. the 2018 trans had 3/4 bronze forks. SQX code.
I dropped my trans last night and pulled the case expecting to see the same (2019 gti) and I’ve got all the steel forks. TGN code (which pull up nothing online...)

C2ECC5E2-594F-47F5-9073-D68C8AA62DE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I dropped my trans last night and pulled the case expecting to see the same (2019 gti) and I’ve got all the steel forks. TGN code (which pull up nothing online... I don’t even like if it’s the O2Q or the 0FB trans)

That's crazy! Why do you have your trans apart??

My steel forks have arrived as well as the bronze feet, so I've solved that problem, but it definitely would have been nicer to save the $$ and have steel from the factory!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That's crazy! Why do you have your trans apart??

My steel forks have arrived as well as the bronze feet, so I've solved that problem, but it definitely would have been nicer to save the $$ and have steel from the factory!
Was having engagement issues and wanted to make sure it wasn’t bend/opens forks... also the tech broke the locking pin and when I found out it was metal I wanted to fish it out and or see if it cause damage. Lucky it was stuck to the magnet.
34356538-3E66-4FDF-997A-3DB498F97ACB.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I would like to know too. Installing a gti transmission and might a well get steel forks and whatever else while its apart.

How much benefit vs bronze?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Alright, so it has taken some time to order and receive everything, but it's all here and I'm hoping to dive into the build this weekend!

PXL_20210204_231828240.jpg

I quickly swapped over the plastic fork ends to brass this afternoon. Removing the original plastics was more difficult than expected, and I had to bust out a torch to melt them off.

PXL_20210204_231255641.jpg

I'm hoping to tackle the ring gear this weekend, and am not looking forward to drilling those rivets out!

Last edited:

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
So today was the big day, I got started early in the AM with drilling out the ring gear rivets. Some cutting oil and a bit of persuasion got them all out on no time!

PXL_20210206_151348483.jpg
PXL_20210206_151359902.jpg
PXL_20210206_152132117.jpg

Next, the ARP hardware must be pressed into the Wavetrac diff. I don't have a press, so I got creative with a hammer and rags to avoid damage.

Snapchat-1233144386_3.jpg

Of course, no project is complete without at least one trip to the parts store. I had to purchase an XXL socket to press the bearings on to the new diff.

Re-Assembly of the transmission was fairly straightforward. The diff was slightly rubbing on the inside of the transmission casing, so I hit it with a grinder to provide clearance.

After that, everything drops back together like legos, and I sealed it up. (Peep those steel forks :cool: )

Snapchat-681232495.jpg

It also turns out that I had nothing to worry about with the driveshafts/transmission housing. I purchased a new output shaft for a non-PP car, and it fits beautifully.

PXL_20210206_190557733_2.jpg

I am currently waiting on a few odds and ends to arrive before swapping over to the new trans, but the entire build process went more smoothly than I had ever imagined!

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What tool did you use for the races though? The ones I was looking for that seem to do it with damage are expensive for a one time use project. And don’t you a have to have the race fully installed before you shim to accurately test the play?

That part of the job is the only thing having me question the at home nature of it for me.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
What tool did you use for the races though? The ones I was looking for that seem to do it with damage are expensive for a one time use project. And don’t you a have to have the race fully installed before you shim to accurately test the play?

That part of the job is the only thing having me question the at home nature of it for me.

I did have to purchase a race driver for the install. The harbor freight kit has the correct size (76mm)

Here's a link:

https://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-10-pc-63261.html