GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping a Wavetrac LSD into a VAQ Equipped car

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Hello again everyone, welcome to the my newest mk7 project!

I am attempting to get rid of this:
PP-FDL-no1 reduced.jpg

And replace it with this:
wavetracr_10175wk_640.jpg

I'm assuming we can just Lop off the E-diff, slap a Wavetrac in and call it a day. EZ 2 hour install, right? :ROFLMAO:

I've been messing around with transmissions a lot lately after breaking the driveshaft in my OEM unit early in December. I sourced a used replacement transmission out of a 2019 car, and bolted it up in place of the original.

PXL_20201224_185004267 (1).jpg
Snapchat-6801374.jpg
PXL_20201214_182144176.jpg

Unfortunately, the new transmission seems to have developed a whine/gearbox noise in 3rd and 4th gear (Assuming it's a bad synchro) very quickly. The parts place will not allow me to return it, though they have refunded me some of the original purchase price. Two fluid flushes have not helped with the noise, but driveability is great! I'm just worried about how long it will last.

In preparation for this current transmission's death, I am working to rebuild my Og trans to be better than ever! I aim to install a Non-PP Wavetrac LSD as well as the longer axle and flange. This setup should allow the car to perform more predictably in canyon road/ track situations, as well as having added bonuses in weight savings and ease of maintenance. Now for the fun part:

PXL_20210107_231915159.jpg
PXL_20210107_231921740.jpg

Last night, I decided to open up my original 36,XXX mile transmission to visualize how this would all work. The only damage that I was able to locate was what we already knew about- The left output shaft had snapped and the bolt which holds it to the diff had stripped out. This transmission would need a new diff, or at least a spider gear to function properly again. The rest of the unit looked to be in great shape, and will be reused.

As far as fitting a Non-PP axle flange- I believe it will be doable as long as I swap the diff out along with it. In the photos below, you can see where the VAQ Diff bolts to the outer transmission case. There is an inner shaft as well as a set of grooves on the outer ring, which slot into the *open internal diff*.

PXL_20210108_025930294.jpg
PXL_20210108_030455924_2.jpg
PXL_20210107_231915159_3.jpg

Continued in next post...

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I spoke to Wavetrac the other day, and it seems that they have not yet fitted one of their diffs into a VAQ-Equipped car. They offer two units, with the only difference being the end of the shaft that connects to either an axle or the VAQ. You can see this diff has splines on the end, which is designed to work with the VAQ diff:

PP wavetrac.jpg

The non-VAQ unit has a smooth end, which should fit into my transmission's existing bearing, and allow a non-PP flange and axle to be fitted:

Open wavetrac.jpg

I am still waiting on additional info from wavetrac on fitment, but from first impressions everything looks good! Parts are on order, so I can only wait for now.

The biggest hurdle that I am facing now is coding out errors caused by removal of the VAQ diff. I unplugged the control module this morning and drove around a bit. The dash lit up with warning lights:

dash.jpg

My cobb AP is not reading any codes aside from the normal EPC and CEL codes from my SAI delete and Catless DP. I would assume OBD11 may be able to show the codes from the correct modules?

I'm no coding expert, so I would appreciate if anyone has input on my next steps. I was planning on poking around with OBD11 this weekend, but will need to uninstall the AP first.

I was also toying with the idea of unbolting the control module from the VAQ and leaving it in place while removing the rest of the diff, but I'm not sure if the car would be happy with this setup either.

As far as I can tell, a few people have talked about this process, but nobody has successfully done it. I'm hoping to get everything sorted out and am enjoying learning along the way!

Last edited:

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
While I have the trans apart, I was wondering if either/both of these upgrades would be worthwile:

1) Steel shift forks
> from what I can tell, the brass shift forks can be weak and break under load. Seems to be more of an older generation issue. Has anyone done this upgrade on a mk7?
> https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Stee...g6uwTI4ZMPW6aI6-OsqQlmC31hCpbM_RoCbEgQAvD_BwE

2) Gear tuning/Modification from FFE racing
> Supposedly, you can send your gears to FFE racing who will then modify them to provide quicker/smoother shifts.
> This retains the factory gear, so offers no additional durability. Unsure if the cost is worth it here...
> https://store.forcefedengineering.com/searchresults.asp?cat=131

Anyone done these mods before?

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm here for the results.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Ooof, I would not try to do this yourself. I was able to stick around/hang out at the shop that did mine and it was a very detailed install.

Also, you do not eliminate the VAQ eLSD, it stays and works in tandem with the Wavetrac. Wavetrac replaces your open differential (all models have them regardless of PP or not). Which is why EVERYONE benefits from this upgrade. Open differentials ARE TERRIBLE for performance cars. VAQ is not a true LSD.

I'm not sure why Wavetrac said they have not fitted their LSD to a PP model, that is an odd statement considering A TON of PP MK7s run it.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I would recommend Bronze shift fork feet before spending 1200.00 on a bushing upgrade. This made my shifts a whole hell of a lot better.
Awesome, thanks for the link! It appears that these are used in conjunction with the upgraded steel shift forks that I had referenced earlier, right? I believe that OEM forks use a direct brass connection, while the steel forks I have seen use a rubber piece similar to the ones you linked. I then assume that these brass fork sliders would be added to the steel forks for a more OEM feel/durability? Thanks!

The gear tuning is something different I believe, but agree that the price seems to outweigh potential benefits there.
Also, you do not eliminate the VAQ eLSD, it stays and works in tandem with the Wavetrac. Wavetrac replaces your open differential (all models have them regardless of PP or not). Which is why EVERYONE benefits from this upgrade. Open differentials ARE TERRIBLE for performance cars. VAQ is not a true LSD.

I'm not sure why Wavetrac said they have not fitted their LSD to a PP model, that is an odd statement considering A TON of PP MK7s run it.

Thanks a ton for the info!! I'm not sure if the employee who I spoke with was super familiar with this platform. Their "experienced tech" was supposed to be getting back to me with this info.

The comments on that video answered my biggest question regarding how the wavetrac interacts with the VAQ, thanks! I'm still interested in the simplicity and weight savings provided by going to a wavetrac-only setup, but understand how the normal PP + Wavetrac setup could be a good system.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Awesome, thanks for the link! It appears that these are used in conjunction with the upgraded steel shift forks that I had referenced earlier, right? I believe that OEM forks use a direct brass connection, while the steel forks I have seen use a rubber piece similar to the ones you linked. I then assume that these brass fork sliders would be added to the steel forks for a more OEM feel/durability? Thanks!

Thanks a ton for the info!! I'm not sure if the employee who I spoke with was super familiar with this platform. Their "experienced tech" was supposed to be getting back to me with this info.

The comments on that video answered my biggest question regarding how the wavetrac interacts with the VAQ, thanks! I'm still interested in the simplicity and weight savings provided by going to a wavetrac-only setup, but understand how the normal PP + Wavetrac setup could be a good system.

I bought a non-PP car because I always intended to run the Wavetrac without an electronic system interfering in it's operation. There are ways to control the VAQ eLSD with controller module software, but I'm not sure this exists for the MK7 and I've heard horror stories on Audis that have done this. The weight savings isn't worth the headache if you're not trying to break a record with this car, believe me. I think the VAQ eLSD compliments the Wavetrac well, I just personally don't like electronic consumer systems messing with my power (all traction intervention systems have been coded off in my car). They don't expect to see the power level I put them through and I highly doubt they react the way they should to it.

Glad I can shed some light on this and I hope it works out well for you, could certainly use another person who can testify to what the Wavetrac adds to the MK7.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I bought a non-PP car because I always intended to run the Wavetrac without an electronic system interfering in it's operation.
This is what I'm trying to transfer to, but I had no knowledge of modifications prior to owning this car, so went with an SE model and am hating myself for it down the road. I need to get rid of that sunroof next haha

I think the VAQ eLSD compliments the Wavetrac well, I just personally don't like electronic consumer systems messing with my power (all traction intervention systems have been coded off in my car). They don't expect to see the power level I put them through and I highly doubt they react the way they should to it.
100% agree. Were you able to achieve full TC off without pulling the ABS fuse? I had done the OBD11 coding for ESC full off, but still get intervention upon wheel slip. This car is my track/project car, so I am trying to achieve the purest and most predictable driving experience possible. I am fairly sure that electronic intervention was what caused the damage to my original transmission, even though TC was supposedly fully off.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie

The gear tuning is something different I believe, but agree that the price seems to outweigh potential benefits there.
Correct, the steel replacements use a hard plastics on the ends which wear out.

1610134421041.png

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
100% agree. Were you able to achieve full TC off without pulling the ABS fuse? I had done the OBD11 coding for ESC full off, but still get intervention upon wheel slip. This car is my track/project car, so I am trying to achieve the purest and most predictable driving experience possible. I am fairly sure that electronic intervention was what caused the damage to my original transmission, even though TC was supposedly fully off.

Yes, but I didn't do it. Anti-slip regulation (ASR), Cross Differential Lock (XDS - EDL), Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP)/Electronic Stabilization Control (ESC) and Hill Start Assist (HSA - DSG) are all completely coded off/out. My Wavetrac is the only thing controlling where my power goes and when to my front wheels.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Diving deeper into the transmission over the past week, I was able to separate the gears and inspect the shift forks. It appears that my 1-2 fork is steel, but the rest are bronze. I've ordered a full set of steel forks to add to the build. Pics below:

PXL_20210109_190611486.jpg

PXL_20210109_191551030.jpg

PXL_20210109_191420832.jpg

I was also messing around with the diff codes again, and tried driving around with the control module plugged in, but the actual pump unit disconnected. This successfully disabled the VAQ diff without throwing any error codes! I hope to utilize this with the LSD setup in the future.