GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swap-tions?

Thurnis

Ready to race!
Does anyone know if the MQB platform engine and dsg could be swapped into another lightweight car or shell?

I'm sure it's extremely involved and probably not done before due to the price of the motor, but since my MK7 R is totaled I'm wondering what's possible and for how much $$$$

ARMOG

Well Technically any swap from any car to any other car can be done, just MONEY UP THE ASS. I have a Datsun early 260z with an 1993 R33 RB25DET swap and its cost me more than all my initial estimates by like 2X so be prepared for money to flow out your bank account lol. You would have a difficult time trying to fit it to a RWD vehichle as the transmission in mounted transversely and new mounts would have to be fabbed to get that all to work. Making anything AWD is very difficult and it would most likely be easier to get a custom bellhousing adapter made so you can fit a longitudinal engine and transmission setup in a vehicle. With my car I had to fab mounts and create a custom wet sump to clear the cross member and then had to get a custom driveshaft to work with the RS5R30A 5 speed and a different flange to mate with the R200 Diff. Time, effort and whole BUNCH of money. Im a bit new to the VW scene so ive not gone to too many lengths with swaps as im content with my weekend track slut and havent fiddled with the idea, hopefully someone else can help you.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I'd love to see a miata or brz/86/frs swap with an EA888. Our engine's torque curve is nearly the exact opposite of those cars, and I think it would make them scary fun. It would be effortless to get the back wheels loose.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Nothing other than other MQB cars will be a bolt-on styled swap. But if you want to make it a swap that will be really fast, draw a lot of attention and probably be worth something... do it in a MKI/MKII Golf/GTI or old VW Beattle! It would be an easy 700lbs+ less weight and you're keeping it within the family, the older VW crowd is pretty damn hardcore and loyal, they would love this kinda stuff.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
But if you want to make it a swap that will be really fast, draw a lot of attention and probably be worth something... do it in a MKI/MKII Golf/GTI or old VW Beattle!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You can adapt the engine to a rwd trans if that's the route you wanna take. Would be the cheapest and easiest option.

Using the full awd set up and trans would be a ton of work to swap. For example if you wanted to swap it into a mk1 not only would mounting the engine and trans be an issue, but the drive shaft and CVs would be too long.

It would be awesome, but if you have to ask if it can be done I'm gonna have to assume you don't plan to do it your self. Paying a shop to do a swap would be big money

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Using the full awd set up and trans would be a ton of work to swap. For example if you wanted to swap it into a mk1 not only would mounting the engine and trans be an issue, but the drive shaft and CVs would be too long.

Axle/Driveshaft shops are everywhere and can fix this for $1000-2000, no problem. Trans and engine mounts are easy to fabricate. I used to do this stuff every day when we had a tuning shop... this is the most easy part of a swap of this caliber if you have any fabrication skills.

The hardest part will be making room for the AWD system, adapting the 25+ year old chassis to fit all of these components and most of all will be the electrical/ tuning. You would need to find a very clean donor shell to make it worthwhile and an entire wrecked or flood damaged A3/S3/R to make all this work. This thing would runs 10's with bolt-ons though and likely 9's as a stage3+ car :eek. Far from easy, but it would be the coolest water-cooled VW I have ever seen!

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
A mk2 with an EA888 motor would be absolutely ridiculous. Coupled with a DSG.....heavenly
I like this idea [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Find a high mileage Mk4 r32. The awd puzzle will already be solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk