GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspicious shop ACC sensor calibration

ttsmith58

Passed Driver's Ed
My Golf R was involved in a side collision. In order to remove the fender they also removed the bumper. It is required to do an ACC re-calibration when removing and installing the bumper and sensor. The shop proceeded to turn off my dashacam and drive the car 30 miles on their test drive. Now I am paranoid about what they were doing when driving. Is that the typical distance they drive when testing the re-calibration?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
30 miles seems a bit much for any evaluation drive in my opinion.

I have a little device called an iGotU which we used to put on our cat to see where she went at night when we used to put her out (we don't do that anymore) and I charge that up and put it in my car when I drop it off for any service so I can review where the car went when it was out of my hands. So far, the cars have shown they stay put or show a short sensible test drive. If there were longer joy rides I'd definitely show it to the manager for a bit of a discussion.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Does your car also have a lane assist camera?

Typically when I calibrate anything I might go 10-15mi at most. I do mobile calibrations at body shops after collision repairs have been done FYI.

The VW camera + radar are both static, so realistically even if both needed done, they'd be done in the shop and then test driven once. If it were like a Ford or GM product where the radar and lane camera are both dynamic, and you need to do one at a time I could see driving that distance.

Did your vehicle get a wheel alignment? Does the body shop have an alignment rack themselves? It's not uncommon to sublet an alignment out where it will get driven to and from the shop, aligned, likely test driven, and then calibration needing done afterwards.

FYI if there was any change in rear toe on the alignment then radar/lane camera are both required (not just radar), and also a SAS check/rezero if needed as well as it will affect both systems' accuracy.