GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Overhaul - Clarifying Questions

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Hey all,

I'm finally upgrading my suspension, for the first time in my life.

My GTI is at 70K miles and I'm ready to ditch the worn OEM suspension, bushings, and strut mounts for all-new everything.

My plan is to get either Koni Special Active strust or Bilstein B8's, with Emanuelle Design, VWR, or H&R OE Sport springs.

I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has tried any combination of the above. I read Hammersticks post the other day and it's the only reason I'm even considering anything besides Bilsteins for the dampers.

I am looking for minimal drop. OEM Golf R height is basically perfect to me. And I don't track my car, so comfort balanced with performance is important.

Additionally, I want to replace the strut mounts and bearings. I found these 3 links on ShopDAP.com:
- "Rear Shock Mount" https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...ng-and-suspension/bushings/5q0-513-353-g.html

^This appears to be all-metal... If this isn't so much a wear item, then I'd rather not waste $128 on them if they're unnecessary to replace.

- OEM Front strut bearing: https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...ng-and-suspension/bushings/5q0-412-249-e.html

^I've heard too many bad things about aftermarket, so I'm going OEM.

- OEM Front Strut Mount: https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...uspension/bushings/5q0-412-331-e-vw-audi.html

So - are there any other pieces I need that I'm missing? I already have endlinks and a RSB. so I'm just worried about making sure I cross all my T's and dot all my i's before moving forward with my upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

drrck

Go Kart Champion
You need all the one time use bolts as well.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
You may want to replace the bump stops also and dust boots.

Bilstein B8 monotube struts have internal bump stops, so you cannot use an external OE(M) bump stop (it won't fit).

ECS' site shows a different rear shock mount, you can see the rubber bushing on them.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...s/rear-shock-mount-kit-stage-1/5q0513353gkt1/

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I bought Sachs front strut mounts from Rockauto.com and then OEM bearings when I just installed my Bilstein B8's and Eibach springs. I believe that Sachs makes the mounts for VW and they seemed just as high a quality as what was on the car from the factory.

athos56

Ready to race!
Check the part numbers of what you're sent before you tear your car apart. I learned that the hard way last weekend.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Don’t do Koni actives with lowering springs. Also don’t do B8’s with VWR or EMD. If you do B8’s I would couple them with a stiffer spring. It’s going to feel really mushy otherwise, and likely crashy in front. The OE sports being the softest I would go with those. Not ultra high performance but you aren’t tracking. They will ride very respectably and look a h*** of a lot better. Reach out to guys who have the setup you narrow in on.

I have a bunch of setup info in my journal for reference as well in case it’s helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I did Koni Actives with MSS springs, amazing ride, eliminated pitch, greatly reduced sway and roll. Shocks firmer than Sachs, supple though, great control. I did OEM strut bearings and mounts, replaced rear shock mounts, bought the master bolt, nuts kit from DAP. It is a different car.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I did Koni Actives with MSS springs, amazing ride, eliminated pitch, greatly reduced sway and roll. Shocks firmer than Sachs, supple though, great control. I did OEM strut bearings and mounts, replaced rear shock mounts, bought the master bolt, nuts kit from DAP. It is a different car.

Aren’t MSS Springs like $800, just for the springs?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Hey Diggs! I just got a carbon cleaning and new plugs + coil packs and I’m happy to say my car is getting GTI gas mileage for the first time in the 53K miles I’ve owned it.

I should’ve figured. Previous owner did 3 oil changes in 17K miles on a 3 y/o car. I bet it never got up to temp for the first couple years of its life, and definitely wasn’t driven the way I drive it.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Don’t do Koni actives with lowering springs. Also don’t do B8’s with VWR or EMD. If you do B8’s I would couple them with a stiffer spring. It’s going to feel really mushy otherwise, and likely crashy in front. The OE sports being the softest I would go with those. Not ultra high performance but you aren’t tracking. They will ride very respectably and look a h*** of a lot better. Reach out to guys who have the setup you narrow in on.

I have a bunch of setup info in my journal for reference as well in case it’s helpful.

Hate to be that guy, but what are good, stiffer options? Keeping in mind that the minimal drop is important to me.

I’ll reread your whole thread. Thanks for chiming in[emoji120]

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I bought Sachs front strut mounts from Rockauto.com and then OEM bearings when I just installed my Bilstein B8's and Eibach springs. I believe that Sachs makes the mounts for VW and they seemed just as high a quality as what was on the car from the factory.

How do you like your B8+ Eibach setup? Is it softer or stiffer than you would’ve liked? Do you have any pictures?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey Diggs! I just got a carbon cleaning and new plugs + coil packs and I’m happy to say my car is getting GTI gas mileage for the first time in the 53K miles I’ve owned it.

I should’ve figured. Previous owner did 3 oil changes in 17K miles on a 3 y/o car. I bet it never got up to temp for the first couple years of its life, and definitely wasn’t driven the way I drive it.

great

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hate to be that guy, but what are good, stiffer options? Keeping in mind that the minimal drop is important to me.

I’ll reread your whole thread. Thanks for chiming in[emoji120]

I run Neuspeed Sport springs. Drop is modest (about an inch with a tiny bit), ride is definitely stiffer, but not bad at all (i tend to bitch about excessive stiffness). After the setup settled, i would say it's well balanced and still doesn't feel bad on shitty SoCal roads.