GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension install snag number one...

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
After reading Hammerstick’s suspension install thread I felt ready to jump in and install my new set up. So I’m pre-building my new strut/spring assembly this evening in anticipation of installing tomorrow when I hit my first snag.

For reference i’m installing H&R OE Sport springs on B8’s with new strut mounts, bearings, and lower spring insulators. The problem is when I place the strut mount assembly on top of the spring it’s nowhere close to the top of the strut shaft. There is no way I can press the mount down far enough to get the nut threaded on. I guess I could get a spring compressor but I was under the assumption I wouldn’t need it.

I’m going to double check all the part numbers tonight and make sure they are correct, but I’m the meantime does anyone have thoughts as to what the heck is going on?

Attachments

• 7CF2037D-EC10-4EA9-A6B9-FE849FDF17A4.jpeg
    7CF2037D-EC10-4EA9-A6B9-FE849FDF17A4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 167
  • 492A7235-A148-4FB8-8C97-DB244ED4C053.jpeg
    492A7235-A148-4FB8-8C97-DB244ED4C053.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 144

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
When I installed my Eibach springs I had to put all my weight on it and then thread the nut on. It makes sense that the spring would be a bit longer so you have some preload.
That does make sense, I was thinking that as well. And all part numbers check out so i'm good there.

It just seems so easy in videos! After several tries I can get pretty close but i'm literally pushing myself off the ground at that point. I'll grab a spring compressor from O'reillys tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for the response.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Spring compressor is your best bet.

Thanks, Jake. I've watched that video several times already. Super helpful. If I had the time and money I'd drive down to your place for an install. I'm just up the hill in Asheville. More just to hang out and talk cars than to have someone else do it. The solo Covid style install stinks. Drinking beer by yourself working on your car is not as fun as it is with others.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks, Jake. I've watched that video several times already. Super helpful. If I had the time and money I'd drive down to your place for an install. I'm just up the hill in Asheville. More just to hang out and talk cars than to have someone else do it. The solo Covid style install stinks. Drinking beer by yourself working on your car is not as fun as it is with others.

After all this Covid crap we could all use more drinkin beers and talking cars in the shop.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Hey there, yep the B8’s are more challenging since they are shorter. It’s been so long I forget if I had to use a compressor or not. If you do have to go that route, there can be limited space between the coils so just be patient and work through it. It’s absolutely possible. 👍

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Thanks for sharing. I have H&R OE springs on stock struts and will be upgrading to B8’s some time next year and now I know to rent a spring compressor.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Went by my local O'Reilly's and rented a spring compressor and O2 sensor tools (7/8" crowfoot basically). First strut assembly was a learning experience in using a spring compressor. 2nd was cake. Seems to be how these things go. Putting new hardware on the H&R 24mm rear swaybar, then everything is ready to go.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Snag #2? maybe...

One of my goals with this install was to be able to take the complete front strut assembly off and slide the new one in so I wouldn't have to disassemble anything. Last night I realized I built my new assembly up with no dust boots, meaning i would have to take it apart and either order new ones or take the current assembly apart when I take it off the car.

So my question is do I really need these?? After a couple of hours of internetting it seems divided. It certainly can't hurt to put them on, but many people have gone long periods of time without them with no harm done. I don't personally see the harm in deleting them, but thought i would get more feedback before tearing into things.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I had the same thought process as far as building up the strut assembly for a "drop in" replacement. My install kept getting delayed as I realized I needed more parts... bump stops, spring seats, then dust boots. Ultimately I decided to order the dust boots (less than $25 shipped). I know that in the back of my mind I would be thinking about them and I definitely don't want to disassemble the suspension to put them on later. I just had my wheel well liners out and there was a ton of dust/dirt/general grime in/around/behind them. Opinions are mixed about the need for them but Bilstein's instructions says to use them.

If you might find yourself thinking about them at all now is the time to do it, in my opinion. Snips from Bilstein's install instructions...
Bilstein Diagram Snip.JPG

Bilsten Written Snip.JPG

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I had the same thought process as far as building up the strut assembly for a "drop in" replacement. My install kept getting delayed as I realized I needed more parts... bump stops, spring seats, then dust boots. Ultimately I decided to order the dust boots (less than $25 shipped). I know that in the back of my mind I would be thinking about them and I definitely don't want to disassemble the suspension to put them on later. I just had my wheel well liners out and there was a ton of dust/dirt/general grime in/around/behind them. Opinions are mixed about the need for them but Bilstein's instructions says to use them.

If you might find yourself thinking about them at all now is the time to do it, in my opinion. Snips from Bilstein's install instructions...
View attachment 196383
View attachment 196384
Thanks for the feedback, Cuzoe. Your reply is timely as I have some updates. In short, I decided to use the factory boots.

With two kids, no garage, and not much time I decided to start my install yesterday and work on it over the next three days, if necessary. I started with the rear as it is supposedly easier. Up on jackstands with the wheels off and I get started. I had a few neighbors stop to say hello and that they didn't know I knew how to do this to which I replied, "I don't". Honestly though getting everything out wasn't really bad.

But it wouldn't be fun without some snags. As Cuzoe mentioned above just as he thought he had all the parts covered there was more needed. I overlooked the crucial step of getting new bumpstops so I wouldn't have to disassemble the rear. That meant i also needed an offset wrench to get the top shock nut off so i could remove it. Well, finding an offset wrench that has enough of an angle and is thin enough to get into the rear mount isn't easy. To make a long story short i bought an impact and plan on zipping it off this morning. That doesn't solve getting the new mount on the B8's and i really don't want to use the impact for that so more to come. Backing up a little I failed to mention the install of the new H&R sway bar. I had new end links installed on it so installation, minus the tetris routing around the exhaust, was fairly easy. I could have dropped the exhaust but since i just installed the new ECS muffler delete I just didn't feel like doing it. In hindsight I'm not sure it would have saved time. It would have been easier though. On a side note regardless of your opinion on muffler delete's the ECS unit is real nice. Fit and finish was beyond what i expected and the sound, while not as refined as a nice cat back, is pretty decent. I got it on their black friday sale for less than $300 shipped, more than a muffler shop but not unreasonable for stainless and mandrel bends.

So anyway, this morning I'll try to button up the rear and begin on the front. Snags will be many I think. I have to disassemble both sets of struts so i can remove and install the shock boots, and figure out if i'm going to use the 2x4 method or remove axle bolts. Oh, and it's 22 degrees this morning so i'll be working in not so pleasant conditions.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea there's always something else. I do not envy working on those conditions, or doing anything in those conditions actually. Good luck.

At least you're in progress. My project has taken so long that I had forgotten about hardware I ordered, not helped by choosing slow shipping since I wasn't in a rush. I definitely have extra incomplete sets of hardware. Once I get everything put back together I'll have a "for sale" post offering hardware for the cost of shipping, haha.

I've done it both ways, 2x4 and pulling the axle from the hub. I had missed the thread where that 2x4 method was updated to include putting a bolt through the end link hole. I struggled to get the wood situated in a way I thought was secure but bolting it to the strut would fix that. Would be a pretty quick job if I had to do it again. If you do the axle bolt be sure to follow the torquing procedure so you don't cause any wheel bearing issues. And make sure you have a good breaker bar and probably a cheater bar to use over top of it. I used the handle of my floor jack.

I'm changing out my steering knuckles this time so I won't be using the 2x4 method, have to pull the axle bolts anyway.