GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension differences I’ve noticed SE vs autobahn

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I had heard with this shock change DCC settings felt more harsh.
Agree or similar to OE but better? Thanks for sharing.
I wouldn’t use the description “more harsh”. The settings are indeed stiffer, but I often felt comfort felt too floaty. Now it feels great, seems like it absorbs bumps in a more controlled matter just a touch stiffer though as well

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I wouldn’t use the description “more harsh”. The settings are indeed stiffer, but I often felt comfort felt too floaty. Now it feels great, seems like it absorbs bumps in a more controlled matter just a touch stiffer though as well
Comfort on stock dcc is almost 1980s Cadillac smooth. Almost.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
? What are you implying
I'm implying that you're comparing a vehicle that has considerably less mileage/road use than an other. Then saying the car with less use rides better...

You're surprised by this? How?

There's so many different variables involved in that statement. Tires (including air pressure and tire treads) , wheels (size, weight), road conditions, speed when cornering, driving habits, etc.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'm implying that you're comparing a vehicle that has considerably less mileage/road use than an other. Then saying the car with less use rides better...

You're surprised by this? How?

There's so many different variables involved in that statement. Tires (including air pressure and tire treads) , wheels (size, weight), road conditions, speed when cornering, driving habits, etc.
LMFAO both vehicles are low mileage. I doubt 20k+ miles is enough to ruin the stock SE shocks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
LMFAO both vehicles are low mileage. I doubt 20k+ miles is enough to ruin the stock SE shocks.
I'm still on the OEM SE shocks at 119,000 miles and they still are fine. No bouncing up and down over bumps to indicate that they are worn out.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think the actual comparison is DCC vs. non-DCC. I went from stock (Golf) suspension, to B8's/H&R's, to DCC on the same car, same roads, same wheels/tires/pressure... all within about 4,000 miles. The difference is between DCC and non-DCC (stock or otherwise) was very obvious to me.

Until I had the basic settings done for the DCC module I drove for a couple weeks with the suspension error in the dash. In this failsafe mode the module doesn't provide power to the dampers so they are inactive, operating like standard dampers. Big difference here too, and that change from inactive > to inactive was compared in the span of 2 hours.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I think the actual comparison is DCC vs. non-DCC. I went from stock (Golf) suspension, to B8's/H&R's, to DCC on the same car, same roads, same wheels/tires/pressure... all within about 4,000 miles. The difference is between DCC and non-DCC (stock or otherwise) was very obvious to me.

Until I had the basic settings done for the DCC module I drove for a couple weeks with the suspension error in the dash. In this failsafe mode the module doesn't provide power to the dampers so they are inactive, operating like standard dampers. Big difference here too, and that change from inactive > to inactive was compared in the span of 2 hours.
Correct. I just wasn’t sure if there were suspension differences between the s and se. sorry for the confusion. I’m new to the platform

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
The shocks may not be blown, did I say they were?

Yes, that kind of mileage would make a huge difference when comparing it to a car that barely has any.

Wait... Is one of them dcc and one isn't?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The shocks may not be blown, did I say they were?

Yes, that kind of mileage would make a huge difference when comparing it to a car that barely has any.

Wait... Is one of them dcc and one isn't?
Yes. Like the title implies. One is dcc. The other is not.

why the hell would I want to go out of my way and compare two identical suspension setups plus buy my buddy Taco Bell. Then spend a ton of obd11 credits on his car?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Thanks for that explanation. The way the autobahn feels, I don’t even want to swap the rear sway bar. It doesn’t need it. I’d put a rear chassis brace for sure though

I put a ST Suspensions RSB on my '18 Autobahn and it made a very significant difference. Do it.