GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension differences I’ve noticed SE vs autobahn

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Maybe in the future after seeing what it does on track. As of now it’s definitely not a “need”
I like that. Yeah I've never driven a DCC car but I was pretty impressed with the stock suspension on the 2019 GTI SE non-DCC loaner I had for a month last year. I thought to myself, if I got one of these I wouldn't need an RSB. I'm sure I would only feel that more if I had been driving one with DCC.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I like that. Yeah I've never driven a DCC car but I was pretty impressed with the stock suspension on the 2019 GTI SE non-DCC loaner I had for a month last year. I thought to myself, if I got one of these I wouldn't need an RSB. I'm sure I would only feel that more if I had been driving one with DCC.
That makes sense

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for that explanation. The way the autobahn feels, I don’t even want to swap the rear sway bar. It doesn’t need it. I’d put a rear chassis brace for sure though
I have an autobahn and I recently did bilstein DCC shocks and struts, ST rear sway bar, and super rear sway bar end links. Car feels much improved, very planted and I actually enjoy all suspension modes better.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I have an autobahn and I recently did bilstein DCC shocks and struts, ST rear sway bar, and super rear sway bar end links. Car feels much improved, very planted and I actually enjoy all suspension modes better.
That sounds solid

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I had heard with this shock change DCC settings felt more harsh.
Agree or similar to OE but better? Thanks for sharing.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I retrofitted DCC on my Golf TDI, including the addition of the accelerometer/level sensors, yada yada. It does in fact do the things they claim, haha. The whole reason I retrofitted DCC is that I wanted the improved handling dynamics of my Bilsten B8/H&R Combo (so nothing crazy) but I also wanted the comfort of my standard Golf suspension. DCC gives me that with Comfort mode (99% of my driving) and Sport mode (1% of my driving).

I heard comfort on the bilstein was like normal on stock dcc
A big concern of mine, when deciding between OEM DCC dampers and Bilstein was that everyone said the Bilstein's were one step up on every setting. I did not want this. What I found is that pretty much everybody was installing B6 Damptronics, which are advertised as one step up from OEM (DCC or not). I installed B4 Damptronics which are advertised as OEM replacements. They are plenty stiff for my "Sport" driving. In fact on my canyon drives thus far I'm in Individual mode with everything Sport except DCC which I put in normal. Canyon roads are fun but not the best surface wise. On smooth roads (or heaven forbid for my TDI, a track) DCC in Sport would be great I bet.

I have no OEM DCC basis for comparison, but retrofitted DCC with B4 Damptronics in comfort feels a hair stiffer than my Golf did factory (which I'm sure is softer than non DCC GTI factory suspension). However, even in Comfort it reduces dive/squat. Comfort still allows body roll, but it's controlled better than my Golf OEM suspension. And of course Sport does a really good job reducing body roll. Imperfect roads/train tracks are a thud in comfort vs an almost bang in Sport (which is what my B8/H&R combo felt like). Slowly driving over parking lot speed bumps is another great way to highlight the differences in the DCC modes.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I retrofitted DCC on my Golf TDI, including the addition of the accelerometer/level sensors, yada yada. It does in fact do the things they claim, haha. The whole reason I retrofitted DCC is that I wanted the improved handling dynamics of my Bilsten B8/H&R Combo (so nothing crazy) but I also wanted the comfort of my standard Golf suspension. DCC gives me that with Comfort mode (99% of my driving) and Sport mode (1% of my driving).

A big concern of mine, when deciding between OEM DCC dampers and Bilstein was that everyone said the Bilstein's were one step up on every setting. I did not want this. What I found is that pretty much everybody was installing B6 Damptronics, which are advertised as one step up from OEM (DCC or not). I installed B4 Damptronics which are advertised as OEM replacements. They are plenty stiff for my "Sport" driving. In fact on my canyon drives thus far I'm in Individual mode with everything Sport except DCC which I put in normal. Canyon roads are fun but not the best surface wise. On smooth roads (or heaven forbid for my TDI, a track) DCC in Sport would be great I bet.

I have no OEM DCC basis for comparison, but retrofitted DCC with B4 Damptronics in comfort feels a hair stiffer than my Golf did factory (which I'm sure is softer than non DCC GTI factory suspension). However, even in Comfort it reduces dive/squat. Comfort still allows body roll, but it's controlled better than my Golf OEM suspension. And of course Sport does a really good job reducing body roll. Imperfect roads/train tracks are a thud in comfort vs an almost bang in Sport (which is what my B8/H&R combo felt like). Slowly driving over parking lot speed bumps is another great way to highlight the differences in the DCC modes.
For the longest time I’ve always wondered why someone would give themselves a headache trying to retro fit in the dcc stuff. But I totally get it now

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's a headache for sure, best use of the time is to waste money installing other things you also don't need while you're at it. I think those with DCC take it for granted and those without it don't know the benefits. I try to get out to the twistys 2 or 3 times a month. As much fun as those drives were with B8's/H&R's I was planning to go back to stock for my daily driving/errand duties. Would have been relegated to the tail of the group drives but still would have done it. Now I won't be far so behind the "slow" group as to lose them.

Mostly folks just say it's soft/normal/stiff which is true but that leaves out that it's always active. In both cases most of us enthusiasts want everything a little stiffer, a little more responsive, a little faster, a little this or that. Our DCC (I presume) isn't as advanced nor does it react with the speed/range of the magnetic dampers/systems on other cars but it doesn't cost what those options cost either. I sometimes put in Sport while driving over a rough patch just to remind myself how much I like Comfort, haha.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
22k miles vs 3k miles...

Smh

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It's a headache for sure, best use of the time is to waste money installing other things you also don't need while you're at it. I think those with DCC take it for granted and those without it don't know the benefits. I try to get out to the twistys 2 or 3 times a month. As much fun as those drives were with B8's/H&R's I was planning to go back to stock for my daily driving/errand duties. Would have been relegated to the tail of the group drives but still would have done it. Now I won't be far so behind the "slow" group as to lose them.

Mostly folks just say it's soft/normal/stiff which is true but that leaves out that it's always active. In both cases most of us enthusiasts want everything a little stiffer, a little more responsive, a little faster, a little this or that. Our DCC (I presume) isn't as advanced nor does it react with the speed/range of the magnetic dampers/systems on other cars but it doesn't cost what those options cost either. I sometimes put in Sport while driving over a rough patch just to remind myself how much I like Comfort, haha.
Makes sense